WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

A 'massive' step for mankind?

Steve_S Plus
14 183 3 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2012 10:45PM
So it seems that the Higgs Boson exists Smile Thank God for that Tongue
macroman 17 15.3k England
4 Jul 2012 10:55PM
Next challenge is to find the Hogg's Bison.
4 Jul 2012 11:01PM
Hmm..cost quite a few Bank Chairmans golden handshakes to find it though..Smile
Steve_S Plus
14 183 3 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2012 11:10PM
Would rather it went to science than the CEO of Barclays Bank. If we didn't spend money this way we would still be drawing mammoths on cave walls rather than photographing Hoggs Bisons with our DSLRs Wink
robthecamman 9 1.7k United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 12:38AM
maggies legacy
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
5 Jul 2012 1:22AM
Praise the Lord! Smile
macroman 17 15.3k England
5 Jul 2012 11:05AM

Quote:........photographing Hoggs Bisons with our DSLRs

Cue for a bunch of threads on.... 'How to photograph Hoggs Bison', 'What lens, camera, filter, tripod, lights, flash settings, etc will I need to photograph Hoggs Bison?', Where is the best location for finding Hoggs Bison'?, How do I create HDR Hoggs Bison Pics.

And finally, 'ENTER EPZ's Hoggs Bison competition'. GrinGrinGrinGrin
sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 11:19AM

Quote:Cue for a bunch of threads on.... 'How to photograph Hoggs Bison', 'What lens, camera, filter, tripod, lights, flash settings, etc will I need to photograph Hoggs Bison?', Where is the best location for finding Hoggs Bison'?, How do I create HDR Hoggs Bison Pics.

Given the Hoggs Boson is everywhere - it's the particle which is hypothesised to give every other thing mass, any photography of anything could be argued to achieve the above. Wink

Personally I find myself liking this. It's a pinnacle moment in science - what Thomas Kuhn would describe as a scientific revolution - the formation of a new scientific paradigm. This constitutes a new start for a whole host of new science based on the assumptions inherent in concept that this particle exists. In the past many such scientific discoveries have led eventually to far reaching changes and innovations - many of which have a very real impact on our daily lives.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 11:35AM
What's with all the leveity on such a subject?
Do you not accept the gravity that this brings?
Steve_S Plus
14 183 3 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 11:53AM

Quote:Given the Hoggs Boson is everywhere - it's the particle which is hypothesised to give every other thing mass, any photography of anything could be argued to achieve the above. Wink

Personally I find myself liking this. It's a pinnacle moment in science - what Thomas Kuhn would describe as a scientific revolution - the formation of a new scientific paradigm. This constitutes a new start for a whole host of new science based on the assumptions inherent in concept that this particle exists. In the past many such scientific discoveries have led eventually to far reaching changes and innovations - many of which have a very real impact on our daily lives.

I agree that this is a great find as it was the missing piece in the Standard Model of particle physics.

Actually, the Higgs boson isn't everywhere, it can only be created by the LHC or in big bangs Smile The Higgs Field is what gives mass . Its presence can be confirmed by detecting the particle 'form' of the Field, the Higgs boson, which is only seen at very high energies.

Quote:Cue for a bunch of threads on.... 'How to photograph Hoggs Bison', 'What lens, camera, filter, tripod, lights, flash settings, etc will I need to photograph Hoggs Bison?', Where is the best location for finding Hoggs Bison'?, How do I create HDR Hoggs Bison Pics.

The best location for photographing a Hoggs Bison is in a field Grin
Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
5 Jul 2012 11:58AM
On a genuinely serious note . . .

. . . I don't have a clue what all the fuss is about and if I'm honest, I really couldn't care less.

But should I?

Is the discovery of, or the proof of the existence of, this thing, of which most of us have never heard actually going to make the slightest bit of difference to any of us?
triumphv8 13 475 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 12:26PM
Jester - that's a good point - no, no difference.

... because all it proves it what they thought was the true.

It would have been much more exiting to disprove it and find something new, then maybe we could start time travelling , teleporting and stuff.
5 Jul 2012 12:29PM
How do you no it wont make a difference?

Wonder if people felt like you when they discovered the electron Grin
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 12:41PM
After the Wright brothers built the world's first working aeroplane, they spent a couple of years quietly tinkering with it, improving reliability and control and flight time, and basically learning to fly and operate the thing.

One day the local newspaperman came by and asked how they were getting on. Still just flying around the field then ? Oh, OK, let me know when you've got something.

So that's how I feel about this discovery, it might lead to great things, but right now it's just a shrug and a let me know when you've got something useful.

Really, it's people like the Wrights and the Apple founders who interest me, the ones building something in their shed that doesn't have huge amounts of government funding, but is going to be phenomenally groundbreaking and succesful.
Steve_S Plus
14 183 3 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 12:51PM

Quote:Jester - that's a good point - no, no difference.

... because all it proves it what they thought was the true.

It would have been much more exiting to disprove it and find something new, then maybe we could start time travelling , teleporting and stuff.

Theories on how things work have to be proved or disproved by experimentation. Just because you can't see how this will affect you now doesn't mean its worthless. If I could have proved to you 40 years ago (and it was possible) that time slows down or speeds up by say a billionth of a second depending on how fast you are travelling (Einstein) you may well say 'So what'. But without Einsteins theory being proved right by experimentation, your sat nav would never work.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.