A check to see if your photos have been used without your knowledge.

bmh1 13 572 1 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2012 7:19PM
Too many years of computer security have made me paranoid ...

How do we know this is just a searching tool, and isn't also a way of collecting URLs of pictures which the photographer thinks are worth stealing ??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
25 Jun 2012 7:21PM

Quote:I have dragged the link onto my bookmarks toolbarm which is visible. I am useing internet explorer. Open my portfolio on efotozine click the link and nothing happens, no ? appear.

robertt

Do you have javascript enabled?

I can't see anything to be worried about in the code - here's a page on Bookmarklets if you're interested
779HOB 8 1.2k United Kingdom
25 Jun 2012 7:24PM
It seems to work but I don't think it picks up Flickr for some reason I tested it on photos I knew where in other locations and on Flickr, it picks the other sites up but not the Flickr page. No sure why that would be.
Paintman Plus
13 1.3k 177 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2012 7:48PM
I have no idea why this isn't working for you robertt. I think there are a couple of other tools like this on the web that may work for you. I don't know which ones they are I'm afraid, so no help really. You could install Firefox I suppose.
carterart 15 74 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2012 10:37PM
Had a fascinating time checking out a few of my images that are on my website. One has been used 80 times across the globe. From a Miss World site to a Honey Moon website - and it is a landscape!

I know and accept images will be used by the public. I kind of just see it as was in the "olden days" when people cut out images from a magazine and put it in a scrapbook but today that scrapbook is viewed internationally.

It would be polite if they credited me but most people see the www as a free resource of information.

Businesses who make £ from sites know the rules and should play fair especially as they can buy images from microstock for peanuts.

I can now use this bookmark to email asking for credits. The credits are worth more than the £ I can earn from microstock. The credits drive real business to my site. Real business is a print size image sale which can't be stolen.

Maybe we should be asking the people who host our images to give us a way to protect them. Or maybe we should watermark our images.
25 Jun 2012 10:45PM

Quote:Too many years of computer security have made me paranoid ...

How do we know this is just a searching tool, and isn't also a way of collecting URLs of pictures which the photographer thinks are worth stealing ??

LOL I thought of this too. If is the case I'll use it on every picture I have and see what happens. I actually think it could be a plus not a minus.

I just don't understand why we are worried about people £stealing£ websized images. Who makes money from them unless are unique -- and then you sell and never put on the www.
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
26 Jun 2012 11:32AM

Quote:I know and accept images will be used by the public. I kind of just see it as was in the "olden days" when people cut out images from a magazine and put it in a scrapbook but today that scrapbook is viewed internationally.

It would be polite if they credited me but most people see the www as a free resource of information.

Precisely.

Quote:I just don't understand why we are worried about people "stealing" websized images. Who makes money from them unless they are unique?

Precisely.

When you put anything into the public domain, you simply have to accept that some members of that public might play by the same rules as you, but many other members of the public do not (and have no reason to) accept your rules.

If you generously left your wristwatch on a bench in a public park, so that any member of the public could use it to tell the time, you really would not expect it to be there next day.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
26 Jun 2012 12:41PM

Quote:When you put anything into the public domain, you simply have to accept that some members of that public might play by the same rules as you, but many other members of the public do not (and have no reason to) accept your rules.

If you generously left your wristwatch on a bench in a public park, so that any member of the public could use it to tell the time, you really would not expect it to be there next day.

One of the basic tenants of civilisation is respect for other people's person and property. This is why the majority of our laws have been framed for this purpose.

Supermarkets and department stores and market traders lay out their wares for the public to view and handle but socially accepted practice and the law forbids people from taking it without paying.

Isn't the web just like a market stall? Shouldn't the same rules apply where folks are welcome to look but not to take unless they've paid?
779HOB 8 1.2k United Kingdom
26 Jun 2012 12:56PM

Quote:Isn't the web just like a market stall? Shouldn't the same rules apply where folks are welcome to look but not to take unless they've paid?

Yes. Unfortunately nicking stuff off the net is faceless and pretty widespread which might suggest that given the chance we'd all nick from the market stall if we thought we'd get away with it!
robertt Plus
14 137 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2012 5:49PM
Java is enabled, I keep getting java updates. When I put the mouse over the bookmarklet without clicking it says java void(function) and a long string of other words.So how do I get java to work with it

robertt
theorderingone 16 2.4k
26 Jun 2012 6:26PM
It works here.

Picks up all my image uses from syndication, and a few robbed and placed on tumblr etc.
26 Jun 2012 9:19PM
Have been playing with this again. I am actually in awe as to how quickly and accurately this finds images. Over last 15 years I have placed photos in various web pages, sold images and put on stock sites. It is really hard to keep tabs on them. I now have a tool to find where I have placed them and SO much more efficiently that my rather inaccurate and laborious database.

Big thanks
Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
1 Jul 2012 5:25PM
I get the double question mark on some of my images when I click on them they take me to a separate page which shows images similar to mine.

So how do I find out if my image has indeed been used elsewhere?
cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
1 Jul 2012 5:30PM
You'd get something like this....

7-image2.jpg

thewilliam 11 6.1k
1 Jul 2012 8:45PM
I expect that picture libraries use this software, or something even better, on a regular basis.

A local woman that I know through the business networking scene told us that she'd had a letter from a major picture demanding just short of £1000 because she'd used one of their images without permission or payment. This is twenty or fifty times the usual stock fee but an awful lot less than it would cost to fight the matter in Court. Her lawyer advised her to haggle it downwards as far as she could and then pay.

If you're powerful, like the big picture libraries, this software could make you a fortune!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.