A check to see if your photos have been used without your knowledge.

Jay44 14 1.4k Wales
2 Jul 2012 12:09AM
Thank you Cattyal, sort of explains things, except why I have images with the double question mark. But each one I check with said double question mark has not come up with anything that matches, so I am wondering why it has the double question mark?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 11 6.1k
3 Jul 2012 12:18PM
In the current issue of the BIPP journal, there's a piece about a professional photographer who found it very worthwhile to trace unauthorised use of his work and then invoice and, in some cases, sue the offender.
Paintman Plus
13 1.3k 177 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2012 6:07PM
My butterfly photo!

This is one of the more brazen attempts I've found of using one of my photos without my permission. A surprise to me as it appears the website is offering training in photography and giving the impression the site's photographer took the photo. As it's in my local patch I think I'll drop him/her and email. I wonder what the response will beSmile

I've already sent a website an email to remove one of my pony photos. They sent me an apology and took the photo down.

One website has used a photo of Durdle Door of mine and they haven't even removed the border with my name, date and copyright info.

Durdle Door

Durdle Door

Just goes to show people don't think they're going to be found out.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
3 Jul 2012 6:31PM
The sub-title of the BIPP article was something like, "I made 30k in a single day without picking up a camera". This photographer had spent the day checking usage of his pix and sending out invoices.

Don't pussyfoot, just send a bill. If they don't pay, threaten legal action.

One late friend always threatened to take action in the High Court, where barristers are needed. Although the damages may be modest, legal costs quickly mount and this is what really hurts. His lawyers used to send the defendant a questionaire asking about assets, including the amount of equity in their home. It used to scare the brown-matter out of them and not one defaulter ever let it get to Court.
Freeflyer 13 6
16 Jul 2012 7:39AM

Quote:My butterfly photo!

This is one of the more brazen attempts I've found of using one of my photos without my permission. A surprise to me as it appears the website is offering training in photography and giving the impression the site's photographer took the photo. As it's in my local patch I think I'll drop him/her and email. I wonder what the response will beSmile

I've already sent a website an email to remove one of my pony photos. They sent me an apology and took the photo down.

One website has used a photo of Durdle Door of mine and they haven't even removed the border with my name, date and copyright info.

Durdle Door

Durdle Door

Just goes to show people don't think they're going to be found out.

Excuse Me Paintman! You really need to be careful what you say about people on popular forums. My name is Nick Stubbs and I run All Things Photography which you linked to above accusing me of stealing your image. I am a professional photographer with great integrity and I myself warn others of the dangers of images theft and even show people how to find them using various techniques.

Please by all means send a bill and even threaten legal action if you wish but do remember to check your stats at Dreamstime first. I bought this image from you a while ago...in fact it looks like mine was the only sale of that image so far so you should be grateful I put you up to a level 2 image thus increasing its worth. In fact, I just checked and this is the ONLY image you have at Dreamstime!

I had a look at your website and you have some stunning work, you would do well to upload more...

I teach stock photography to quite a few people and take great pride in being a purchaser as well as a seller because I know what it means to get a sale. There are times when I write an article for something for which I simply do not have the imagery to illustrate it which is why microstock comes in so handy and affordable. If you need further proof, I am willing to show you my purchase account at Dreamstime but please check yours first.

I bought this image on 01/27/2009 at 11:41.

"I wonder what the response will beSmile"

Now you know so please be careful what you say and where you say it in future, reputations could be easily damaged by such accusations.

All the best,

Nick
All Things Photography
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 9:11AM
Nick (Freeflyer) - I do not want to get into the ins and outs as to whether you are using the image correctly. But my immediate thought was that if a professoinal photographer is running photo tours I would expect that any image I see on the website is one taken by the photograper offering the tours. I don't care if it is 'accepted practice' or 'everyone does it' or 'its only marketing literature', that is my expectation and I would wonder about either the ability of the photographer or the length of experience such that they cannot find an image in their portfolio that they are proud to headline on their website.
Freeflyer 13 6
16 Jul 2012 10:08AM
Hi Mike, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns but the post I was initially replying to was one that accused me of image theft.

However, to answer your post, this was a page for a new course we were thinking of running in conjuction with a nature expert who ran his own wildlife courses. The idea was to have him as a guide to show what can be found in the New Forest, with me there as a photography guide to help those people photograph it. The opening paragraph from that page:

Quote:The New Forest is well known as a haven for wildlife and many visitors come especially to search for rare and exciting species. This wildlife photography excursion is designed to show you the spectacular wildlife of the New Forest national park and give you the time to learn how to photograph it with two experts on hand. The excursion is run jointly by All Things Photography and Project Fred.

It is advertised more as an excursion not necessarily a photography course as such. Then:

Quote:Nick Stubbs of All Things Photography is an seasoned professional in many aspects of photography with over 25 years experience and will be on hand to offer guidance during the walks as well as for a couple of short classroom sessions.

I am on hand to offer guidance, not to make anyone a seasoned professional nature photographer. Further down that page:

Quote:We place an emphasis on our excursions being enjoyable and fun, while giving you memorable and simple hints on how to photograph and identify the wildlife we see.

Again, no promise of earning a degree in nature photography, just a fun day out whilst learning to appreciate and photograph wildlife.

With regards to the images being bought as opposed to being taken, I have been to the New Forest quite a few times but with my family and not specifically to photograph it. I do have wildlife photos in my files but to use them would be misleading for the course we were advertising as they are not OF the New Forest. This is why I sourced and purchased images actually taken in the New Forest itself.

With regards to my credentials (or ability and length of experience as you put it), I have never claimed to be one of the best photographers in the world and I hate that sort of marketing but I do pride myself on my history in this industry.

I had my first SLR at school aged 13 back in 1980 and at that time, I built my first darkroom in the loft where I spent much of my teenage years.

I took photography as part of my school studies in the 3rd year. I ran a photography business as part of my 2 year business studies college course whilst working in a camera shop at weekends. I also did a one year, part-time apprenticeship at 16 (1983) for a local well known press and wedding photographer. I ran a wedding photography business in London for a few years in my 20's, then in Spain for a number of years in my 30's. I shot weddings in the Park Lane hotel in London, the Savoy in Florence, Italy and the Ritz Carlton in Spain.

I have also shot weddings on expensive catamarans, high society weddings with well known celebrities right down to a 2 person wedding in a cave in the Spanish hills. Then I have spent time in close proximity with Princess Ann in the 90's and then Prince Andrew 2 years ago photographing them during various visits.

Anyone who was looking at that page and hoping to come on the course could easily find out as much as they wanted about me by ]checking me out on the site or emailing/calling me. I happily put my phone number and even my address on site for all to see...

Again, I don't claim to be the best in the world by a long shot but I do like to pass on my experience and knowledge to others...for free much of the time and that course page was a test to establish interest...

Hope that answers your concerns and I don't want this to turn into a boring forum argument, I just wanted to state my case with regards to the original accusation.

Thanks,

Nick
links removed by epz, against site terms and conditions sorry
Paintman Plus
13 1.3k 177 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2012 8:12PM
Nick ( Freeflyer ), I apologise unreservedly for accusing you of image theft regarding one of my photos. I did submit the image to Dreamstime some time ago and it did sell once. I had no idea it was bought by you and I didn't realise I could actually find out from the site who buys the photos. I haven't used the site for some years so I forgot about the sale.

It was not my intention to accuse someone who has a legitamate case to use my work. I made a mistake in not doing my research on the photo as to whether it was bought or not and by whom. It was the first time I'd used an image finding program and it came as a bit of a surprise to me that a few of my photos had been used on other sites. Your useage of one of my photos is the only legitimate one as I haven't sold any other photos for use on a web site.

I have learned a lesson here and I shouldn't have made an accusation like this on an open Forum because of the possible damage it could cause you.

If you want the false accusation taken down by the moderators let me know and I'll send them an email.

I do not wish to damage your reputation in any way as they are hard worked for and, as you say, easily damaged, so again my apologies to you.

Alan.
Freeflyer 13 6
16 Jul 2012 8:25PM
Alan, that is very big of you to apologise so sincerely and it is much appreciated...no harm done and no need to remove the post...others may find it useful but it is up to you entirely. I know how you feel though, I have all but given up searching for my images being used as it makes quite depressing reading...and this is just the first one I checked today!

wedding-images-theft.jpg

fentiger 18 920 24 England
17 Jul 2012 9:11AM
It does not work with Firefox on an Apple Mac but works fine with Safari

Albert
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
17 Jul 2012 11:48AM
Nick,

I think that what you are finding is pretty much par for the course.

What does amaze me about your findings, however, is that your image seems to have been used on the websites of cowboys purporting to be wedding photographers.

What does it say about them if they can't use their own wedding images on their websites??

The problem is that the mug punters will be fooled as they have no way of knowing that the great wedding photos they are looking at are actually taken by you, not by the photographer whose site they are browsing.

Now, that is bad.
Freeflyer 13 6
17 Jul 2012 12:40PM

Quote:Nick,

I think that what you are finding is pretty much par for the course.

What does amaze me about your findings, however, is that your image seems to have been used on the websites of cowboys purporting to be wedding photographers.

What does it say about them if they can't use their own wedding images on their websites??

The problem is that the mug punters will be fooled as they have no way of knowing that the great wedding photos they are looking at are actually taken by you, not by the photographer whose site they are browsing.

Now, that is bad.

Tell me about it! A couple of years ago I found a young lad (who I had been helping for free incidentally), bootlegging and selling my DVD's on eBay...unbelievable! A quick legal letter and he paid everything back that day. I spent around 3 months earlier this year having blogs (Blogger and Wordpress) and Facebook pages shut down...never-ending battle.
AnneWorner 12 620 43 United States
18 Jul 2012 3:12AM
Found one of mine here , and recognize a couple of others I've seen on EPZ. Thanks for the link.
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2012 8:31AM
freeflyer - which search program did you use there?
Freeflyer 13 6
18 Jul 2012 8:37AM
I used src-img as discussed earlier in this thread but I also use tineye.com.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.