A complaint about competitions

rletham 15 890 United Kingdom
3 May 2005 2:59AM
PETE: My question was asked in a light hearted way but it's a serious question. Any thought on it?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad 15 10.9k 116
3 May 2005 3:20AM

Quote:PETE: My question was asked in a light hearted way but it's a serious question. Any thought on it?

Well, Rab, it looks like Pete is either busy

Quote:composing a six paragraph justification as to the merits of allowing ECs into the competition

or hes back to his book!

Conrad
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
3 May 2005 3:21AM
I don't see a reason to ban EC winners. I judge the competition on the theme as main criteria. EC pics are not always going to be as good as or better than any other when the originality of theme is the main focus.
rletham 15 890 United Kingdom
3 May 2005 3:33AM
Fair enough Pete. It's your competitions so it's your rules. This has prevented me from entering the comps after seeing so many EC coming in the top few of the competitions though. I also doubt if I'm the only one who feels this way.
Hazard 16 1.2k United Kingdom
3 May 2005 3:35AM
Sponsors don't give away products for nothing, really it is for publicity. Most of the ones sponsoring the prizes on this site are aiming there publicity at a UK market so you can hardly blame them for excluding sending overseas
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
3 May 2005 3:55AM
Competition prizes will be paid for by the marketing department's budget. Each marketing department will only cover one region (or country) so they are hardly likely to agree to their budget being spent on somebody in a country outside their own remit.

As has been said before, the easiest way around it is to arrange with somebody else to forward the prize.

Ian
Rhythm 15 81
3 May 2005 4:14AM
AFAIK it's not just down to the supplier of the prize but competition/raffle prizes in place in the country of origin. Check the forums at a competition site like Loquax and you might more information
UserHasLeft 16 654
3 May 2005 5:01AM
Rab's got a valid point, I feel. I've also stopped entering the competitions - I simply don't think that my photos would appeal to the shortlist judge. That's not his fault at all but with the prizes having been so good lately, I have wondered if a different adjudicator for each competition would be a fairer system. Just an idle musing Smile
covey 14 1.7k Ireland
3 May 2005 5:05AM
@Ian,

Your right about regional marketing budgets. But it's common practise for companies to raise internal invoices to account for overlaps in regions.

So, where someone in Spain (say) wins a prize the Spanish arm gives it out and invoices the UK. Happens every day in large corporations.

T.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
3 May 2005 6:56AM
We occasionally have a guest judge, otherwise it's me...taking on board the views of Tracey and Will. Most magazines have a fixed judge too, that's life. You're free to enter or not, and we'll never please everyone all of the time. I believe the odds on winning the National Lottery are 14 million to 1 and one thing's for sure, like that, if you don't enter you have absolutely no chance of winning.
u08mcb 15 5.8k
3 May 2005 7:14AM
Somebody once tried to persuade me you had less chance of winning if you did buy a ticket. Why I didn't kill him where he stood escapes me...
UserHasLeft 16 654
3 May 2005 7:23AM
Thanks for that, Pete. No complaints from me, just a thought, and you're right - gotta be in it to win it Smile
Pete wrote: "I believe the odds on winning the National Lottery are 14 million to 1 and one thing's for sure, like that, if you don't enter you have absolutely no chance of winning".
Absolutely wright.
But even with this little chance, lot of people buy the ticket, just to feed a dream. But if you make the rule that somebody is not eligible to win the prizes another thing's for sure, he wont buy the tiket.
I know, it's strange: I enjoy very much posting shots hoping to receive some clicks and nice comments or to get an EC and winning nothing. But I hate the competitions, where you know that if you win (1 chance over 14 million for me) you lose (the prize). Frustrating.
It's a pity, because I feel at home in this site, and I like almost everything, but this restriction is a pebble in my shoe, reminding me that I'm not exactly at home...
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
3 May 2005 8:22AM
Claudio there have been a number of people saying they are willing to forward your prize for you (should you win one) providing you pay the postage. Pete has no control over the suppliers' terms relating to the prizes so you are directing your frustration at the wrong person.

IMHO the fact that you have received such offers of forwarding seems to say that you are at home so why don't you take your shoe off, remove the pebble and make yourself comfortable.

Ian
OK Ian, I've got a couple of shots for the "lines" competition... Smile
I'll try this way, even if I have 1 chance over 14 million to test it!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.