A complaint about competitions

UserRemoved 15 4.2k
3 May 2005 8:52AM
You have to be in it to win it. Wink

Although I've said before and I'll say it again, I would like to see 'new' shots for each competition, as I would say EC shots have a distinct advantage if Pete is the judge. I didnt enter any of my ECs in the sports comps - maybe I should have Wink

Each competition is like a lottery IMHO (except in the case of on here where I would say that a recent EC shot which can be reasonably applied to the category has a high chance of getting at least shortlisted).

You dont know what the judge is looking for, for example, my editor said I should post my latest upload to this site as he thinks its a cracking shot and might be used banner width on a page. I laughed and said that if it gets any notice I will be surprised.

Similarly I've seen EC/HC sports shots on here that I wouldnt give the time of day too (and yes I've seen a few in a competition I'm the judge of) but thats what makes it interesting.

You really have no idea what the judges are looking for. I've had one photo which has won a competition been slated in another competition for being poorly composed and lacking in detail (I'll not name the judge Wink).

Surely thats the excitement of it all?

Although I would agree with the no previously posted shots. Wink

As for overseas members - I used to enter a lot of comps a few years ago and there were often territorial limits (eg. northern ireland only or within a certain radio broadcast area). Some for marketing reasons, some for legal reasons (such as the US gaming acts etc). The sponsor pays the money, they should call the tune (as long as its legal).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BradUK 14 553 3 England
3 May 2005 8:57AM
A company may want to restrict to UK or EU only for any number of technical or taxation reasons. And as they are giving away free stuff, obviously don't want to cause themselves hassle. Also, global organisation tend to be seperate companies joined together so Company(UK) won't be allowed to interfere with Company(Spain), therefore Company(UK) can only give away free stuff to UK residents and Company(Spain) can only give away free stuff to UK residents.

This does not mean it is discrimatory. A company must not discriminate between European Economic Area (EEA) residents directly but they don't have to apply equal treatment across all the EEA, ie restrictions can be put in place as long as the same restrictions apply to all EEA residents.

This can be seen in the current Canon-Europe promotion which is open to all EEA residents but you can only qualify by purchasing from a restricted list of countries.
robadsy 14 348
3 May 2005 11:00PM
please forgive my stupidity,

but as an australian (LOL), if i have a friend in england and i win a comp (highly unlikely but...the whole "in it to win it" thing comes to mind), i can get it sent to her and then it can be forwarded to me??

she obviously sends it to me as a gift? or brings it when she visits?

again, please tolerate my stupidity.

ads :o)
A_Harrison 15 261 Canada
3 May 2005 11:20PM
Might I Suggest that any prize won by an overseas entry be donated to a worthy charity by the team,say for a raffle by said charity to raise funds for themselves or for there own use.

just a thought.What does everyone think of this Idea?

Allan
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
3 May 2005 11:52PM
Allan,

As an overseas subscriber, I'm happy with this idea providing that the prize goes unclaimed and that the recipient has had a fair chance to provide a UK forwarding address. Otherwise it's unfair.

(Edit) Although I don't really have a problem with the existing situation (i.e. the prize is awarded to the 2nd placed entrant), so long as foreign entrants are given the chance to provide a UK forwarding address.
A_Harrison 15 261 Canada
3 May 2005 11:59PM
Yes I agree.I should have said that myself, thanks.

Allan
agoreira 16 6.0k Wales
4 May 2005 12:06AM
"As an overseas subscriber, I'm happy with this idea providing that the prize goes unclaimed and that the recipient has had a fair chance to provide a UK forwarding address. Otherwise it's unfair."

I think it's unfair that people not resident in the UK should be attempting to dictate rules as to how a UK competition should, or should not be run. Surely, it's up to people donating the prizes as to what their terms and conditions are. I realise they are in it for publicity, but some very generous prizes have been donated lately, and I for one, am happy for them to say where they will or won't send it. I would not expect a Japanese forum say, to send me a prize in the unlikely event of me winning it. Just be happy that you can send it to a UK address and get someone to forward it to you.
A_Harrison 15 261 Canada
4 May 2005 12:18AM
Be real.most overseas entries won't have an address of someone in the U.K. to forward it to them.

This is an idea that is charitable and keeps the spirit of the competition alive.

Also the prize stays in the U.K. and not forfetted to someone who's pic was secound best.

This was a completely unselfish idea.

Allan
4 May 2005 12:56AM

Quote:I think it's unfair that people not resident in the UK should be attempting to dictate rules as to how a UK competition should, or should not be run.

That's a bit strong, isn't it? Who's 'attempting to dictate rules'? I thought we were just having a free and open discussion here.

My view on this is quite simple: why should I, as an overseas subscriber, be forced to donate any prize I might win (hah!) to charity when no such rules apply to UK entrants?

Donating unclaimed prizes is fair enough, IMO.
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
4 May 2005 1:12AM
Julian, this isn't meant as an attack on you but can I ask you to take a look around some competitions based in your own country and let us know what their regulations are concerning overseas entries.

I know in a global community it seems unfair for overseas entrants to be excluded from receiving the prizes but I'm pretty certain that this happens all over the world. Reading through this thread it feels almost as if the site is being blamed for something over which it has no control and is by no means a unique situation.

Ian
A_Harrison 15 261 Canada
4 May 2005 1:30AM
Here in Canada you would not even be allowed to enter.
I'm glad I can play for the fun and challenge of it.

If I won I would like to see the prize go to a charity,no big deal,I just think it's better then giving it to the person next in line.

Allan
4 May 2005 2:15AM
Ian,

I accept the situation and, indeed, entered the 'Reflections' comp knowing that, in the unlikely event of me winning, I could not claim the prize. I appreciate that sponsors can choose who to give their prizes to and who not.

What is under discussion, I believe, is that these terms seem to be standard for every competition and do not, in reality, appear to be tied to the wishes of individual sponsors.

I was merely pointing out a problem with the suggestion that a prize won by an overseas entrant should be donated to charity and then found myself being accused of dictating rules.

My own view is that it should always be down to the sponsor to decide whether or not a winner is eligible to be given his/her prize and that it is normal procedure in most competitions of whatever type, where a winner is unable to claim his/her prize, for it to pass to the entrant who came second (or 3rd or 4th should these conditions also apply in this case).

Not looking to ruffle any feathers here....
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
4 May 2005 2:16AM
Maybe rather than donate to charity (of which we prefer not to have any bias and also it gets complicated finding out who to send to etc) it could be used as a future prize.
I guess it does seem unfair passing it on to second place winner.
User_Removed 17 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
4 May 2005 2:18AM
To save any hassle - just give 'em all to me - end of problem! Smile
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
4 May 2005 2:21AM

Quote:We have had competitions where prizes can be delivered worldwide, but unfortunately not many and it's out of our hands

Taken from Pete's reply to the original post. The rules are not standard for every competition Julian, simply that the majority of prize sponsors specify UK only.

If forwarding them from a UK address is not a possibility I'd happily see unclaimed prizes given to charity, perhaps the winner should be able to choose to which one they are given.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.