Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

A friendly request

xanda 16 244 2 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2007 12:59PM
Following a comment made on a photo I uploaded (and deleted) this morning I thought I’d post something on here.

Portraits, in particular, involve more than just the photographer and the photographer’s feelings. I don’t really mind what people say about my technical deficiencies – they’re not telling me anything I don’t already know Smile I've been on this site for 3 years now. I usually listen to good advice (and occasionally don’t) but sometimes improving a photo technically does not improve it in other respects. Sometimes it is the imperfections that make the photo work. And sometimes while the failure (if such it is) belongs to the photographer, it is picked up by the model.

I actively encourage the models I’m working with to see how their photos are doing on this site and I know that they find it greatly encouraging. Ruby even joined the site when she recently took up photography.

Most of the people I photograph are not really a part of ‘the industry’ and I know there are lots of other photographers on ePhotozine who use family, friends and local amateurs who just model for fun in their spare time. And then there are those who use modelling as a way of building self confidence or exploring their own creative ideas which are often highly personal. So I hope you understand what I’m getting at when I say that one, even slightly, insensitive comment, and even if the criticism is aimed at the photographer, may well be read by the model and taken personally.

So rather than message the member concerned to explain why I deleted the photo, I thought I would thank the seven people who clicked, thank the member who commented and ask that he and others perhaps keep in mind what I’ve said.

Be good and play nicely.
miptog 15 3.6k 64 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2007 1:26PM
Well said. It is a fine balance for all parties, but totally agree.
gillk 13 144
3 Mar 2007 1:45PM
Obviously dont know what the situation or comment was, but I can make an educated guess as to the content. Fair play to you for your post. Good luck
3 Mar 2007 2:24PM
Thank you, Michael.

Thank you, Gill. I wanted to raise the issue without drawing attention to the photo, the comment or the member who made it (who wasn't 'wrong') - hence the deletion Smile
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
3 Mar 2007 2:50PM
Well put Simon - especially as you have brought the model's perspective into it.

I didn't see the image either, but it would appear that you have deleted the image because of one individual's non-constructive comments. Please be aware of the 'Report errors or abuse' link at the bottom of every page. The Moderators are very quick to deal with situations such as this - and keen to have such situations reported a.s.a.p.

Just a thought... - and we all could have had a look at the piccy too!

Smile)
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Mar 2007 3:05PM
It'd help because I haven't the foggiest what this thread is actually about.
Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
3 Mar 2007 3:21PM

Quote:It'd help because I haven't the foggiest what this thread is actually about.

I'm guessing here that the person commented on the model rather than the photo itself?
3 Mar 2007 3:48PM
Thank you, Mike. The model's perspective and sensitivity are too often ignored.

Thank you, Keith. Lol. See below and read slooooowly.

Thank you, Peter.

The comment wasn't for the most part on the model, or in any way abusive. It listed, rather, all the things that were wrong with the photo technically. Fine. I just started thinking about how the model would take it...even though the 'faults' were mine. I didn't want her confidence undermined. So...I deleted it and thought I'd post a thread about sensitivity.

I think my mistakes today were:

1 - posting a technically imperfect photo of a new model

2 - deleting it

3 - including any reference to said (deleted) photo in a forum thread.

So...let me try this without any reference to the photo:

Quote:Portraits, in particular, involve more than just the photographer and the photographer’s feelings. I don’t really mind what people say about my technical deficiencies – they’re not telling me anything I don’t already know Smile I've been on this site for 3 years now. I usually listen to good advice (and occasionally don’t) but sometimes improving a photo technically does not improve it in other respects. Sometimes it is the imperfections that make the photo work. And sometimes while the failure (if such it is) belongs to the photographer, it is picked up by the model.

I actively encourage the models I’m working with to see how their photos are doing on this site and I know that they find it greatly encouraging. Ruby even joined the site when she recently took up photography.

Most of the people I photograph are not really a part of ‘the industry’ and I know there are lots of other photographers on ePhotozine who use family, friends and local amateurs who just model for fun in their spare time. And then there are those who use modelling as a way of building self confidence or exploring their own creative ideas which are often highly personal. So I hope you understand what I’m getting at when I say that one, even slightly, insensitive comment, and even if the criticism is aimed at the photographer, may well be read by the model and taken personally.

Be good and play nicely.

raziel_uk 16 4.9k
3 Mar 2007 4:20PM

Quote:Portraits, in particular, involve more than just the photographer and the photographer’s feelings...

I actively encourage the models I’m working with to see how their photos are doing on this site and I know that they find it greatly encouraging.

I think there is a real lesson to be learnt here. Although I've only worked with one "model" (my friend Zoe) I always check she is happy to pose as I ask before taking the shot and then check she is happy for the shots we've done to be upload to the internet. When I've put her photos on here she has checked for herself to see how they have been received.

But at the end of the day if the model is not happy it will show in the photo. I don't mean the model has to have a winning smile every time - but the feeling of "uncomfortableness" or wanting to get the shot(s) over with as quickly as possibly seems to scream out from a photo where the model wasn't completely happy.

I could point (but won't) to several photos on epz where this is the case.
3 Mar 2007 4:40PM
Thank you, Ashley. I steer most of the models I'm now working with towards EPZ, so they can see how their photos are doing and maybe find other photographers they'd like to work with. I always have a chat with models before I do a shoot to see how we get on and to make sure they are completely happy throughout the whole picture taking/editing/posting 'process' Smile
EnigmaPhoto 15 487 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2007 4:43PM
I have to congratulate you xanda on the way you handle your models and your post here. I think you bring very valid points.

Good man!
SharD 14 94
3 Mar 2007 4:57PM
I wholeheartedly agree with what you're saying!

Shar :o)
3 Mar 2007 5:10PM
Thank you, Dean Smile

Thank you, Shar Smile
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
4 Mar 2007 1:06AM
So it's late and my eyes are tired trying to see an eclipse through an EVF Smile ) so maybe I've misssed the point. But apparently, you can constructively criticise photos on here, especially the technical aspects, but you can't really do that when it's a portrait unless you only say really nice things, in case you offend somebody. So portraits have different guidelines for critique?? Am I missing something? or should I just go back to looking at the moon?
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2007 8:44AM
Perhaps we're being told not to post imperfect portraits in case they get criticised ?
Otherwise I'm a bit lost as well.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.