A Golden Oldie

brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2010 6:42AM
Idly looking thorugh Mifsuds used lens listing the other day I spotted a Sigma 400 f5.6 APO, HSM macro which was stated to be compatible with the canon 7D etc.
As I had almost given up hopes of ever seeing one of these near mythical beasts I immediately rang them and it was confirmed that it was indeed compatible.
For a mere 299 it seemed too good a chance to miss so I ordered it (well, I could always return it if it didn't like my 7D.)
I have now had it for a few days and so far its proving as good as the reports say it should be and comparing it to my old canon 400 f5.6L I would say its a close run thing (with the canon shading it for IQ and focus speed - as it should) I have had to dial in +10 on the focus micro-adjust on the 7D to get it as sharp as I want but apart from that - what a bargain. (it even focuses very quickly with a kenko 1.4XTC pro 300 on, which it really didn't ought to, I've still to sort out what MA will get the best from this combo)

All I can say is, thanks Mifsuds (yet again - another cracking used deal) and if you see one advertised - give it a go, you may be suprised.
I got it primarily for water-sport and birding use off a monopod (its a bit of a lump as a walk-about lens). Here's an early test result, shot in rotten light (why does it always do that when you want to do a lens test? Wink )
sigma-400-sailboard-test.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.