a good walkabout with good zoom....

mohikan22 Plus
16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 4:58PM
Hi all. its TYPICAL that today i didnt have my big ol canon in the car...at lunch time we poulled up to a local pond and within 15ft a sparrowhawk had just made a "kill" ARGH i could of kicked myself!! i snapped a few shots with my phone but the images are DIRE. the video isnt too bad but the images YUK!. so any suggestions would be appreciated. i dont care on the make as long as it has good image and zoom, pocket sized so i can keep in the glove compartment...
TIA
matt.

VIDEO
Scutter Plus
12 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 6:52PM
nice one Matt, "kill" is a misnomer in this case Tongue, GrinSmile
mohikan22 Plus
16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 7:19PM
yes "kill" isnt ACTUAL peoples. the tail of the story endeth with teh pidgeon in the bush and the raptor flew to a tree... the pidgeon lived happily ever after Grin (although prob not for long)
lawbert 13 1.8k 15 England
12 Nov 2010 7:27PM

Quote:Yes "kill" isnt ACTUAL peoples. the tail of the story endeth with teh pidgeon in the bush and the raptor flew to a tree... the pidgeon lived happily ever after Grin (although prob not for long)

A really exciting scene captured really well Matt with your given equipment...

Nature may appear cruel to many but the pigeon is classed as vermin in the UK by the defra....the same status as a Rat.

As for a point and shoot Matt....You missed your moment with your high end gear and my guess is it will be along while before you witness it again so keep your money in your pocketSmile
mohikan22 Plus
16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 8:24PM
".You missed your moment with your high end gear "
alas happens all to often... im either on teh way home from work or going out etc and never think "ill need my big lens and kit etc"
Picola 10 15 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2010 4:07AM
If you have a garden and put up feeders, you'll be amazed at what type of birds turn up looking for an "easy catch".

Lot's of Sparrowhawks will visit gardens. Unless you live in the heart of a city. Might not happen so often there Smile
And might even keep those nasty rodents away. Vermin or not, officially, it's still illegal to kill them ourselves.
mohikan22 Plus
16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2010 8:24AM
put up feeders, you'll be amazed at what type of birds turn up looking for an "easy catch".

only sparrows and the odd wood pidgeon... alas both houses either side of me have CATS and they use my garden as a toilet or a crossover to eachother.
Cristian 15 950 1
21 Nov 2010 10:24AM

Quote:Put up feeders, you'll be amazed at what type of birds turn up looking for an "easy catch".

only sparrows and the odd wood pidgeon... alas both houses either side of me have CATS and they use my garden as a toilet or a crossover to eachother.

Yep, know exactly what you mean. I had a nice little set-up of feeders and then next door bought two cats! So all I see is the odd house sparrow.
mohikan22 Plus
16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2010 10:55AM
aye. ive tried EVERYTHING to get rid of these cats and stop them but nothing short of a lion is gonan stop em.
cats_123 Plus
16 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
22 Nov 2010 2:19PM

Quote:Aye. ive tried EVERYTHING to get rid of these cats and stop them but nothing short of a lion is gonan stop em.
They say Lion Dung works!! Wink
collywobles 16 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 3:39PM

Quote: pigeon is classed as vermin in the UK by the defra....the same status as a Rat.

Definately - they are an absolute menace. The ferals in towns are just sh1t makers and the woodpigeon in the countryside devastate crops.

Quote: ive tried EVERYTHING to get rid of these cats

a catapult works wonders!

Colin
mohikan22 Plus
16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 4:18PM
i have an archery set Grin but it would be a bit suspect me thinks lol.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.