Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

A Hundred Years Hence

c_evans99 16 7.0k 1 Wales
1 Nov 2006 1:47PM
A GLIMPSE INTO THE FUTURE

Encouraged by the advances in camera automation, a German industrial designer, Fritz Costabel, has dreamed up a camera of a hundred years hence. As far as appearances go, it might just as easily be a submarine, space satellite or vacuum cleaner - the direction in which design will progress is anybody's guess.

Technically, imagination has not been idle, either. This model is envisaged as having radar focusing, transmission of the image to a recording receiver at home, a variable focus lens, built-in electronic flash powered by solar batteries, and automatic push-button operation.

These features are technically perfectly realizable. Some may indeed be found - and highly useful - on certain industrial photographic equipment long before the end of this century.

Yet what of the photographer who takes pictures just for the fun of it? Maybe a proud father after a picture of junior playing on the carpet will appreciate this streamlined bag of tricks. But will an artist be obliged to carry a whole electronic brain around with him to create a picture? Or will he be extinct in a hundred years?

Photoguide Magazine - January 1958.

Are we there yet? And is solar powered flash so great an ideas?

Ceri Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kit-monster 16 3.7k 2 Singapore
1 Nov 2006 2:13PM
I charge the batteries for my flash by solar power. Looks like we're there with 50 years to spare.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
1 Nov 2006 9:47PM
Thought this was a topic about how old Keith was...

Hundred years Henson

;D
stevenj 16 2.0k England
1 Nov 2006 9:59PM

Quote:automatic push-button operation

Oh how I long for such luxuries...

:o)
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
1 Nov 2006 10:48PM
Still waiting for the "radar focusing" though! ;-D
nikon5700ite 15 1.8k
2 Nov 2006 9:05AM
I like the idea of each pixel being able to work outhow far the object it is recording is and maintain focus, being worked on currently I believe.

Add that to telepathy so we then tell each pixel what we don't want in focus.
c_evans99 16 7.0k 1 Wales
2 Nov 2006 10:25AM
I liked the phrase 'obliged to carry a whole electronic brain around with him' - would make up for all those who don't carry an organic brain around

Ceri Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.