Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

A little advice

Talon 15 85
22 Mar 2006 6:46AM
Well been approached by a local newspaper that I did some work for at the end of last year . they want me to cover several football matches in my area , which I cant see being a problem at all except I have never photographed football matches before the sports I usually do are motorsports and running events .I am totally confident I can do it but I am looking for any tips you guys can give me for football photography.

camera : canon 1D mkII
Lens : canon 70-200 IS 2.8L/ canon 100-400L
scottf75 15 7 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2006 6:50AM
Dont miss a goal.
Talon 15 85
22 Mar 2006 7:13AM
not the advice i was looking for Smile I have 2 games to cover so will be lucky if I am there to get a goal , the picture editor just seemed to want a few pics of the game but hopefully i will get lucky
scottf75 15 7 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2006 7:24AM
I know nothing on this from a photography point of view but, speaking as a football fan, here are some things I would consider:

1. Research the two teams to know who should be the stronger side and therefore generate most action.
2. Research the stronger / more talented players for each side, again the action is likely to have them involved and they may command more interest from the picture editor (?)
3. I would be interested to see action / reactions from the bench.

Doubt this was helpful but who knows.

Scott
SuPlied 15 5 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2006 7:31AM
My Dad is the official phtographer for Norwich City along with my brother in law (Dutch01 at EPZ). His top tip when I started to take pics of my son's under 10s team was to stand behind a goal so you get players running at you (back of heads is a cardinal sin!)It must have worked as our local rag nearly always use my pics -sadly I don't get paid and no byline (hence my user name as the caption always reads "Picture supplied"!. Good luck - look forward to seeing your results!

PS Goals are hard to get especially with zoom lens - I have countlessshots of a ball in the net and no player to be seen!
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2006 7:31AM
I agree with Scott's advice, plus find some local grass roots football to practice on before you get to the main event (make certain it is not childrens football).

Oh and agree your fee up front.
scottishphototours 17 2.6k 2
22 Mar 2006 1:02PM
Take a look at most of the sports supplements in the papers these days. Celebration pictures are valued more highly than any great action shot. So go for the goal, and if you fail, get the celebration.

Eamon McCabe must be disgusted by what he sees in the sports pages these days...
tommyd1 16 52 Scotland
22 Mar 2006 2:36PM
Funny enough the photos of "goals" are rarely used by my paper. More often they go for action shots of home players.
Remember your DOF as most smaller clubs have crappy grounds with masses of advertising hoardings.(my tip anyway)
Good luck and make sure you get paid. The b***ers are getting too many freebies. Our local has halved their fees now.
jkennedy 15 4 1 Indonesia
23 Mar 2006 3:15AM
Your camera and lens are fine for a football match shoot. The multiplication factor will give you additional "reach" As the game is very dynamic you must pan a lot to keep track of the action and hopefully get the decisive moment. Use high ISO settings and shutter speeds. Follow the ball especially around the goal areas. Dont forget the players on the bench and the fans in the stands as their expressions and reactions to a goal or a miss are often better than the football action itself. Good Luck
gib spawny 17 46 1 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2006 3:41AM
As I still play you kind know what to look for players body language and keep one eye on the game and the ball. Also look for off the ball stuff people do some strange things when there not involved.

Also second the idea of trying your hand a local game. You'll be surprised how people react when the think a scout or press photographer is taking pictures.
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
23 Mar 2006 4:09AM
Get plenty of practice in before the big day - you'll be surprised at how fast even poor amateurs move the ball around at.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.