Amazon Prime Day is here - save on cameras, lenses, and more!

A new Poll as a result of the BETA thread

Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
25 May 2010 9:46AM
Following on from the Beta Photography Choice Gallery thread, we will do a poll to take this to the next level - I think we already know that negative voting is not desired, but I've included a question about it.

Normally when we add a poll someone comes up with a brilliant extra that we missed, but it's too late by then. So, as a way forward, here's what we are considering including in the poll. Can anyone see anything we've missed that may be important? Or a better way to ask any of the questions?

Do you like the Beta Photography Award voting with negative scoring? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

If you answered yes to Beta Beta Photography negative scoring Would you prefer it if the person has to make a comment? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Would you like to change the Reader Award to Reader Like? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Would you like the RC Award and Gallery disabled? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should we open the User Award up to all and give 1 per day so they become the new Reader Award? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should Votes be only viewable to the owner of the photo? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should EC / HC no longer be highlighted in the gallery? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should you be able to view the users latest awards he/she's given out? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should certain chosen members be allowed to give more/higher value awards? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should comment with vote be a forced requirement? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should we have a more developed rating system that includes scores for Technical, focus, composition, originality etc? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should we Introduce a new auto weight vote - average of last 10 votes x 25%? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should we split the site into two distinct sections - social and hardcore photographers? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Should we have an option to turn off all award options? : Yes or No or Don't Mind

Leave the system as is? : Yes or No or Don't Mind
cats_123 Plus
17 5.1k 30 Northern Ireland
25 May 2010 10:03AM
Only one comment

Quote:Should EC / HC no longer be highlighted in the gallery?
the answer might be mis-construed as you are asking a negative question......perhaps

Should EC / HC continue to be highlighted in the gallery? yes, No Don't Mind
jken 15 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
25 May 2010 10:21AM
Interesting points Pete,

"Should we have a more developed rating system that includes scores for Technical, focus, composition, originality etc? : Yes or No or Don't Mind".

BIG YES

"Should we split the site into two distinct sections - social and hardcore photographers? : Yes or No or Don't Mind".
BIG YES

I understand "Magezine Publishing Ltd" is a business and advertisers on site are a big part of it, so this might not be a popular suggestion with some of them but, what about making the criteria for getting images excepted on the site harder, maybe along the lines of 1x.com, this could be applied to the hardcore section if the site was split into "Social" and "Hardcore".

No one really likes critique but if you want to progress it's a must in my view, by setting the standard high, only the very best images would get accepted for the "Hardcore section". There's enough proper Pro and ex Pro photographers around the site that could be the vetting panel.

The "Social" section could stay as normal as not everyone want's to progress and are just happy posting images for their friends to see.

My reasons for posting are different from most users, and each user gets what they want from the site but, for one reason or another a lot of users no longer use the site, my personal view is that they perceive their photography to be on a different level to an awful lot of images posted daily, that's not meant to offend anyone it's just fact. A split section setup could encourage the hardcore photographers to start posting again and could attract some real talent to the site.

jken
monkeygrip 12 574 6 England
25 May 2010 10:35AM
1.What about should the name of the photographer remain hidden until vote is cast?
This may not be possible but I would imagine that all of us have been guilty of checking the name of the member when undecided on a vote. This would remove clicking the name not the image.

2.Should we have a "nice shot" button? A bit more of a personal touch for friends as a pat on the back but keeps the vote button special.

Cheers

Stu
franken Plus
18 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
25 May 2010 10:38AM
Some people were unaware that there was a poll in March?

Would it be a good idea to email everyone when the poll will start and when it will finish?

Ken
csurry 19 9.2k 92
25 May 2010 10:45AM
Actually cutting to the chase, at first the idea of average vote + 25% seemed quite laughable, but on thinking it through this could be a good way to go. It means that only the very best of everyones portfolio would get showcased and would also address the concern that those that always get fewer votes could also be recognised every so often when they posted something that attracted attention.

I'm not sure that the questions above would come up with a definitive answer. As was stated before most people will vote for the status quo. So the leave system as is, will nearly always score highest.

I would suggest another trial that runs in parallel with the current system (not the negative vote beta). If you trialled the ave + 25% and had a separate gallery that people could compare to the RC gallery then people could vote on that at a later date.

I think holding a vote now when you already know that the beta has failed in the eyes of the majority will only prove to confirm that fact and very little else.
jken 15 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
25 May 2010 10:46AM
One important thing to add to my initial post above:-

Personally if i was posting to the Hardcore section, i'd want to know that the vetting panel was made up from bona fide pro's.
It would be very important to me, might not be to other people but i think if you have an image voted for by a pro you're heading along the right path.

jken
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
25 May 2010 11:02AM
Thanks so far good suggestions

Quote:
Would it be a good idea to email everyone when the poll will start and when it will finish?

Yes we will be making sure everyone hears about this poll!

Quote:Personally if i was posting to the Hardcore section, i'd want to know that the vetting panel was made up from bona fide pro's.

This was one of the problems with the PA team. Some of the team were pros, and some of those pros were not at all active. Some of the none pros were actually first class photographers who were arguably better than some of the pros. And then some of the team were not respected by some of the members so all sorts of issues started to occur.
franken Plus
18 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
25 May 2010 11:05AM

Quote:One important thing to add to my initial post above:-

Personally if i was posting to the Hardcore section, i'd want to know that the vetting panel was made up from bona fide pro's.
It would be very important to me, might not be to other people but i think if you have an image voted for by a pro you're heading along the right path.

jken

I know of a professional photographer who earns a living doing weddings, studio portraits and passport photo's. He admits that he is useless at sporting events/wildlife/landscapes/street life/candids etc. He sticks to what he knows and nothing else. So you would need a broad range of pro's to cover most things.

Ken
roxpix 17 2.2k 11 Scotland
25 May 2010 11:11AM
Trouble with Pollís are that they will return whatever response the originator provokes (intentionally or otherwise)

In the examples your wording, order, content, terminology, presentation etc will determine the results as each question impacts & influences the others, even to the point where the authors own preferences show through & steer participants responses

Polls are as much a skill as Focus groups & as such the Poll in its current guise should not be presented to users

I wonít pretend to have the correct way to present your points but Iíll have a go, hopefully we have some members who will come along to either shoot me down or support what Iím saying
crookymonsta Plus
13 842 10 England
25 May 2010 11:14AM
If you ask if 'certain chosen members be allowed to give more/higher value awards' it will almost inevitably receive a large no vote. I feel you need to be far more specific as to the composition of what will be seen as an elitist group. If this were, for example, to be limited to the current Critique Team then I think few people would object.

I would also support a trial of the average vote +25% prior to the poll being conducted.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
25 May 2010 11:22AM

Quote:Polls are as much a skill as Focus groups & as such the Poll in its current guise should not be presented to users

I agree not just asking the question but then correctly extrapolating the results. That's partly why the poll is here first and not just added as normal.
25 May 2010 11:23AM
One additional question.

Should the galley thumbnails be increased in size? Yes or No or Don't Mind.

One observation. Who decides who's a "hardcore" tog or a "social" tog? Or both? Is it self classification? If not their will be quite a few bruised egos, methinks. Sounds like a recipe for a complete shambles to me.

Alan
miptog 15 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
25 May 2010 11:23AM

Quote:Personally if i was posting to the Hardcore section, i'd want to know that the vetting panel was made up from bona fide pro's.

I too think this would be good, and it will help maintain the rationale of this site's original purpose.

Quote:This was one of the problems with the PA team. Some of the team were pros, and some of those pros were not at all active. Some of the none pros were actually first class photographers who were arguably better than some of the pros. And then some of the team were not respected by some of the members so all sorts of issues started to occur.

Quite like the thought of Social voting and hardcore voting. Effectively the RC is social. Hardcore voting would need to be independent and by established photographers. May be worth revisiting the PA team concept, and seeing if could be made to work better.

So additional questions to ask:

"Would you like Hardcore voting to be independent?"
"Would you like hardcore voting to be voted by professionals only?"
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
25 May 2010 11:31AM
Mind you - just because someone is a 'pro' it doesn't mean that they're any good or you like their work - they could just be excellent businessmen/women!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.