Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

A photography challenge for a year

Madhatter58 11 47 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2013 4:53PM
No doubt this has been done before but, I fancy giving this a try. I am going to attempt a project over a one year period where I take one photograph every day using one camera and one fixed focal length between 35mm to 50mm or M43 equivalent. The camera I am going to use is an Olympus OMD and am just deciding whether to use a 20mm or 25mm lens. I aim to try and capture everyday life be it at home, work or out and about.

Would anyone else like to try it or has anyone ever tried to do it before and if so did you manage it or fall short? Will give it my best shot as from January 1st. It will of course not interfere with other photographic stuff I have going on.
213hardy 12 719 England
27 Dec 2013 5:03PM
Funnily enough was just Saying to Mrs H The other day about having a bash at this, although hadn't thought about just using one lens, but quite like that idea!

Good luck

Den
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
27 Dec 2013 5:16PM
I did this a couple of years ago, although I didn't restrict myself to using one lens or camera. In fact, I used three or four cameras, several lenses and a couple of mobile phones.
It's not as straightforward as you might expect but it will certainly get you thinking.
Time will be your greatest enemy. A number of times I found myself looking for something to shoot quite late in the evening, despite having had most of the day in which to get the shot.
My images are online, they're just not on here. PM me if you're interested.
Also, Alison (cattyal)'s blog is worth looking at. She's being taking and uploading a shot every day for ages.

Bren.
Willpower 10 507 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2013 5:32PM
On 1st January 2013 I started a 365 Project where my aim was to create a picture for each day of the year. However to make it slightly more interesting (and more difficult for me) I tried to stay within a couple of parameters. Firstly I featured each of the seven colours of the rainbow in rotation to be the focus colour in the picture . And then at the same time utilising the 26 letters of the alphabet to be somewhere of significance in the title.
I am now 5 days from the end and like Bren my result are online but not on here. If anyone wants a link let me know.

It's been a strange year. sometimes it's been easy sometimes a nightmare. The idea of using one lens / one camera is going to restrict you and like others have said and I have experienced applying parameters can cause you problems. Also I wish you luck in you endeavour to not let it affect your other photography. It is VERY time consuming.

Good luck.
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
27 Dec 2013 6:20PM
Yep - I'm on my second 365 here in my blog and elsewhere have uploaded 1394 consecutive images - sadly I missed a day on 3 March 2010 otherwise the number would be higher.

I certainly couldn't restrict myself to any theme or specific camera/lens - it's a challenge enough sometimes coming up with an image when I've lots of other 'stuff' going on.

I have decided to make a point of taking some random images during the day though just in case - I've already taken some pics of the sky from my office window this afternoon just in case!
RogerDodge 7 16
27 Dec 2013 6:43PM
About 2 years ago I took a picture from my conservatory of some tree's once a week, did this for several weeks, one picture I zoomed in on a leaf, but guess what the council dune.
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2013 9:03PM
I'm just about to finish my 365 for 2013, good fun, but hard at times. I didn't restrict myself as to gear though as couldn't always take what I wanted. It's not an easy challenge though, there are some days when inspiration just goes out of the window.
27 Dec 2013 9:57PM
I don't really fancy another 365.
There is quite a sense of achievement when you get to process and save the last one but having done it once, I don't think I could find the motivation to do it again.
I'm considering instead to take one decent shot each week but of a subject that will only be revealed to me on each Monday morning.
My plan is to get the children at the school where I work, to come up with an idea which I'll have to shoot, process and display somewhere at school by the following Monday.
Ideally, I'd like to get some of them on board as well. Even if they haven't got 'proper' cameras, they've all got mobile phones.
28 Dec 2013 12:09AM
I'm hoping just using one lens will help me "see" better I'm not gonna crop or fiddle about with Lightroom etc strictly snap shot. Jester seen your photos well done!
28 Dec 2013 12:35AM

Quote:Jester seen your photos well done!

Thanks MH.

It was hard work!
Nigeyboy 13 1.0k United Kingdom
28 Dec 2013 12:51PM
I started one of these about 3 weeks ago, and so far am really enjoying it. For me, its more than taking a photo a day. I am using it as part of my recovery from depression.

Started a Blog here on EPZ. I have not had time to upload the last weeks photo's as its just been too busy, but will get it done either today or tomorrow.

I say go for it!
AnneB50 9 118 18 Scotland
28 Dec 2013 8:56PM
I have been thinking along these lines myself lately as I feel I need something to focus my photographic attention so to speak. Not sure I am disciplined enough though, I'm one of those people who reads about the creative stuff in my photography magazine, thinks about it and has every intention of putting it I to practice but before I do, the next magazine hits the mat!

I'm not sure I could restrict myself to one lens, no Lightroom or very strict prameters but would need to think through some sort of plan, there I go already, too much thinking and not enough doing, and it would be good to have a look at some of your existing projects.
28 Dec 2013 9:04PM

Quote:it would be good to have a look at some of your existing projects.

As I said earlier Anne, PM me and I'll send you a link.
Willpower 10 507 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2013 10:58PM

Quote:....................., there I go already, too much thinking and not enough doing, and it would be good to have a look at some of your existing projects.

Stop procrastinating and just do it Smile Smile Link sent as requested..

Good luck
29 Dec 2013 8:06PM
After reading some comments on here I have decided to use a zoom compact and will edit I'm my pad using Snapspeed. The thinking behind this is I have to photograph my students for photographic evidence and use a compact for that and do not fancy lugging any extra gear around. Is that defeatist?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.