Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

A photography challenge for a year

AnneB50 9 118 18 Scotland
29 Dec 2013 8:27PM
Thank you for sharing your links Jester and Willpower, I've had a look at yours too Alison and Nigel. They are all amazing and so different, definitely food for though. One of the things I was wondering was where the best place to upload would be but there are so many options aren't there, just need to check out the pros and cons. Another was how you manage uploads when away from home. In your post above, did you mean your iPad Madhatter? If so something else I need to explore as I've never tried uploading from my camera to my iPad.

It would be good to check back in a few weeks to see how those of up attempting this are getting on.

Anne
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
29 Dec 2013 9:09PM
Hi Anne,
Where you upload, if at all, is really up to you. As you've probably discovered, there are sites dedicated to just this.
As for when; I used to upload, usually, each evening. The exception being a couple of weeks when I was away from home on school trips. On those occasions, I still took the shots each day, I was just careful not to lose them.
I only ever used my desktop.
The downside that I found to not uploading daily was that it's really not difficult to find yourself mixing the shots up. In reality, that probably doesn't matter but it annoyed me when I did it!
Be careful too, that you number each upload correctly. I mistakenly used a number twice, which resulted in my 366, seemingly, becoming a 365.
There is, or at least, was, a group on here for people doing these 365s. I've no idea if it still exists as it was dying on its feet when I used it. Could be worth a look?
29 Dec 2013 9:16PM
Thanks Bren, I will take a look. I imagined that the reason you had 366 was that you did it during a leap year!

Anne
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
29 Dec 2013 9:43PM
Yep! 2012.
I began about the end of January and it was fairly plain sailing for a bit but it did become more difficult as time went by.
Initially, I was uploading to four sites, two of which were intended for 365s only but I found one of them was far too restrictive. They would insist on checking the date in the EXIF before allowing a shot, which meant that, for one thing, the shot had to have the EXIF still attached, which some of mine didn't, for various reasons and secondly, it sometimes took a day or so to get verification, by which time I was trying to upload more shots. I've a feeling that they'd only allow one a day too.
Anyway, I soon kicked that one into touch.
The other was much more friendly but the shots that I uploaded were only ever displayed at about the 600px. on the long side, the same as here for we non-payers, which I find much far small, so that went as well.
I also used the site that you looked at and finally I put all of my shots on here in albums. One for each month and I uploaded the shots daily to my blog.
All of which also went west, when I cleared out my pf.
Your biggest enemy will be a lack of time. It might seem that you've plenty but finding, taking and processing a shot every day soon bites into your routine. In fact, it becomes a routine.
You'll need to take a camera absolutely everywhere and don't be disheartned if you end up with a shot of next door's cat because all else, on that particular day, has failed.
And it will happen.
More than once.
Many of the shots in mine were taken in desperation as the clock ticked down!
Let us know how or where you plan to upload your shots; I'll be really interested to see them.
30 Dec 2013 9:13AM
Thank you Bren, really helpful. I was thinking in terms of which '1' site but can see the value in uploading to a few in the first instance. I already have a couple of blogs on Wordpress which I used for learning logs on OCA courses, there is this site of course and I found another which looked ok, I think it was called something like Photo Blip. I also thought about using the free foliopic site offered here but that only allows for 50 photos without paying and of course there is good old flickr. I will do some more research but will have to be quick!!
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2013 7:59PM
a friend of mine is member of blipfoto, you can upload one pic a day and it has to be taken on that day.
At the end of 365 he gets a photobook of his year's images, has to pay extra for that but he's got three years and is starting on the fourth.
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
1 Jan 2014 10:32AM
I too am a Blipfoto member - 1399 consecutive daily entries so far on there now Smile I only frequent two photography sites on a daily basis - here and there.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
1 Jan 2014 10:36AM
I joined Blipfoto too, about a year ago. I think I managed 3 weeks, the same as I managed on here. I just don't think I'm a one-a-day girl. You do need quite a bit of dedication and I admire the people who can keep it up.
x
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2014 11:26AM
I finished my 365 yesterday & it was on Flickr & facebook. Quite enjoyed it, made me use my imagination a bit, which in turn has made my friends think I am a little bonkers.
1 Jan 2014 12:53PM

Quote:A friend of mine is member of blipfoto, you can upload one pic a day and it has to be taken on that day.

Alison, Chris, did you not find that restricted you somewhat? I have already taken my first photo but won't be able to upload it until tomorrow evening but which time I will have lost a day already. Maybe need to look into this further before I make a decision.

Anne
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
1 Jan 2014 1:25PM
Ah - your only restriction is that it is one photo per calendar day - you can save all your photos until the end of the week and upload the lot then if you wish - as long as the exif shows that each image was taken on different days of the week.

If I'm away I'll often leave my uploads until convenient and do a batch.

So if you can't upload today's image until tomorrow evening then that's fine - you can upload today's pic and tomorrow's at the same time.

I think that makes sense!

Of course doing it via the blog here on EPZ works nicely too although your audience is somewhat smaller Smile
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
1 Jan 2014 1:54PM
I wasn't too bothered about views on Blipfoto TBH. I just wanted to see if I could do it but I found the site a bit boring. It seems you have to do a lot of following and commenting before anyone notices you as there are so many pictures uploaded. I did come across quite a few really good photographers but I couldn't be bothered to keep commenting as what with EPZ as well it just took up too much time.

I find there's much more of interest on EPZ so I didn't really see the point in doing both. Seeing as you don't have to upload an image onto Blipfoto every day if you don't want to, contributing to both sites seemed pointless. If all you want to do is take a photo every day you might as well just upload it to the gallery or Blog on here and also make use of all the extras like the forums, etc.
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
1 Jan 2014 2:00PM
Indeed there isn't the banter you find on here though I have a few people I 'know' on there that I like to follow and some of them do excellent write-ups with their images and they do amuse me Smile As with EPZ I'm rubbish at commenting but just keep a list of 'friends' that I watch.

Same as here though - there are lots of excellent photographers that I'm sure I miss....

Certainly for information, competitions, techniques, banter etc. EPZ has the upper hand - as I said, two very different sites Smile
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2014 5:49PM

Quote:A friend of mine is member of blipfoto, you can upload one pic a day and it has to be taken on that day.

Alison, Chris, did you not find that restricted you somewhat? I have already taken my first photo but won't be able to upload it until tomorrow evening but which time I will have lost a day already. Maybe need to look into this further before I make a decision.

Anne

You can 'back blip' the pic has to contain the exif data which includes the date.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
1 Jan 2014 6:30PM
I also found I was taking rubbish shots of anything just to do the daily pic and didn't find it in the least satisfying or instructive. In fact, in the end I stopped because it was depressing me having this hanging over my head. And for what? No idea.

I still do take rubbish shots, but only because I'm being lazy or just want a quick record of something.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.