Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

a question?

somnathchatterjee 11 67 175 India
23 Oct 2009 10:47AM
in compromise with the build quality i can also save some money too, will it be a foolish decision?
23 Oct 2009 10:57AM
go for sigma 300 f4 apo from 1995 Rocky....
23 Oct 2009 11:00AM
oh do you mean a second hand? but where i will find this? ok i am searching.
23 Oct 2009 11:02AM
joke joke SS,take Tamron 90....
23 Oct 2009 11:03AM
oh thanks.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
23 Oct 2009 12:10PM

Quote:Fair enough. I tend to coddle my lenses anyway, so perhaps wouldn't be as bothered by slightly lesser build quality.

My comment wasn't in reply to yours but just a general observation really.
I completely agree with you, if you look after your equipment the build quality is of minor importance.
I had the Tamron 90mm macro myself for 7 or 8 years and found it outstanding.
The only thing I would say regarding the difference between the Canon and Tamron's build quality is the Canon feels just that little bit smoother in use, if that makes sense. That's not to undermine the Tamron of course, which is superb and very good value for money, considering it's reasonible price tag.
PeterBee 15 35 5 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2009 4:41PM
I agree with the last comment. I used an old Tamron 90mm macro for many years (on both film & digital). Results were excellent and never any issues regarding build quality. I only disposed of it and replaced it with a marque lens (Sony) relatively recently because I had extra funds available. The Tamron provides excellent value for money.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
23 Oct 2009 4:51PM

Quote:There's virtually nothing between them with regards image quality.
The Canon has the slightly better build quality out of the three.

Agreed, also from reading others experiences and comparisons I think the Canon also has the faster AF. Though for pure macro work this is not a concern it is something to bare in mind when considering the lenses use outside of macro work.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.