Christmas Prize Draw 2017

"A shade of Pale" 180 Strand london May 16th to June 2nd - free

JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
16 May 2018 10:38PM
I saw this hidden gem today, 2 big doors down from Somerset house which is hosting the Photo London event.

97593_1526505924.jpg

There is a very long row, and then another long row of photos further down; And each row has photo on both sides of the hanging frame - its certainly surreal walking down rows of so much to look at that is both interesting and pale or perhaps plain on its own.
97593_1526506153.jpg

97593_1526506146.jpg

97593_1526506165.jpg

Some amazing contrast of colour as you progress through the pews of frames.

But that's just the first floor, go down again to another massive floor to see many alcoves of mini exhibitions quite different from the above - they are not at all all pale!

But this is pale and clever, you need to look close and preferably visit to see that each is not just a school desk, but its itself a picture to be discovered close up.
97593_1526506326.jpg

This event curated by Carrie Scott showcases 10 artists and 470 photo graphs - http://www.carrie-scott.com/ashadeofpale.html

You might think you are entering a screened off building site, but beyond the brutal stairs are two massive caves of photography treasure.97593_1526506459.jpg

See here for details of the location - http://www.thestores.com/180thestrand/

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
10 7.8k 30 England
17 May 2018 8:06AM
That's interesting Stuart. I'm off to Photo London today but doubt I'll have the energy to see this as well. But definitely another day. Thanks for the info. I never even realised this place was there.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
17 May 2018 10:33AM
I got to see some of PhotoLondon last night it was amazing to see so many galleries exhibiting photographers work of all kinds.
I actually went along for the Bruce Gilden exhibition here :
SlowSong Plus
10 7.8k 30 England
17 May 2018 2:48PM
I saw Bruce Gilden at The Photography Show a couple of years ago in the theatre there. Interesting, if at times, harsh. Smile

After I left Somerset House I went for a stroll along to 180 but although it had the names outside advertising an exhibition it looked empty and like it was being renovated and there was no-one on the door so I didn't go in. Perhaps next time I go up that way I'll be a bit braver, but I was quite worn out by that time.

Photo London was OK but each year I say I'm not going again. It's just too big and I find it very off-putting that each section is manned by people that seem very "arty". Interesting to hear some of the conversations going on though.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
17 May 2018 3:22PM
Its rubbish external advertising isn't it - you do just need to walk down the industrial stairs - but better another day as its two long floors of photos. - I did find this link as i know you like exhibitions - http://london-photography-diary.com/exhibitions/current-exhibitions/

The arty lot are very off putting sometimes aren't they - i believe they are catering to a different set of people than the actual photographers(workers); They seem to mostly be international gallery owners who are targeting the richer collectors/patrons that might want a limited edition "piece" of fine photography art from a particular known photographer. I did find one nice chatty french guy from a Paris gallery and he was good at explaining how they targeted buyers as the show. They are not really able to engage at the worker level. I'd say its the difference between a Rolls Royce salesperson and the mechanic or designer that actually makes the car.

I also met a buyer, but what he said was that he was looking for was images that looked good on the wall and might be part of his pension portfolio if he ever needed to sell it again, low numbers of limited edition prints were key there.

Personally i loved the size of it, it reminded me of the engineering or comms shows I've been at in the NEC etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.