Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

A3 printer - which one

gavin 18 9
13 Nov 2003 1:47PM
I'm looking to buy a new A3 photo printer, but not sure which one to go for. I have used the Epsom 1290 and think it is good, but are there any others and how do they compare. Does anyoone know. And also does anyone know a good place on the web to buy one.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

vickyh 18 706 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2003 2:02PM
Epson 2100 is the best I've used. It has the advantage over the 1290 of using separate colours.
roxpix 16 2.2k 11 Scotland
13 Nov 2003 2:21PM
Even though I've had my 2100 for less than a week, I'm convinced it cant be beat.

Best prices I found were at Comet and after I bought I found it for the same price on the sites shop. (529)
monaro 16 69
13 Nov 2003 3:12PM
Depending on the price you want to pay, the 1290 or 2100 would be my recommendation as well.
Canon have a model up against the 1290 I am quite certain but can't remember specifically the model designation. A search should solve the problem for you or someone else may be able to answer.
STUARTHILL758 18 38 1 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2003 3:32PM
gavin if you are going to do a lot of printing buy a printer with seperate ink tanks if you buy with ink in a block and print say agood few sunsets you will end up having to through away a tank half full as the yellow will run out first the same will apply with any dominent color i use a cannon s9000 a3 whith six tanks www.7dayshop.com cannon ink 6.45 try www.pixmania.co.uk for printer 344.0
wendy9 17 475 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2003 5:17PM
Hi Gavin, can't recommend the 2100 highly enough - and I'm like Alan (roxpix), in that I only bought mine at the start of this week, following weeks of research. Suggest you also look in this recent THREAD.
By the way - best price I got was local Jessops - 479.
Forgot to add -found cheapest cartridges at 7dayshop.com
roxpix 16 2.2k 11 Scotland
13 Nov 2003 10:00PM
Wendy I envy you , my local Jessops wanted 599 but did say they would match the 529 at Comet.

Generous people at my Jessops........not
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2003 10:54PM
Do any of you find it a problem that (as I understand it) you can't print gloss output with the 2100?
jonjeds 16 509
14 Nov 2003 12:07AM
Gavin, like you I am looking to purchase an A3 printer. It seems to be between the Epson 2100 and the Canon 9100. As far as I can tell the Epson has the slight edge when printing at the very highest quality and uses long life dye's rather than ink. The drawbacks I have read are that good results are not straightforward and it can be tricky to set up and get it right. It also apparently is not so good on glossy papers and users have had to go to matte to get the best results. The Canon reviews say that the quality is brilliant, much faster than any other high quality printer and cheaper to run. It is also apparently much easier to set up and produces good results without too much messing about with settings. I am leaning towards the Canon at the moment for a couple of reasons. I don't really think I need the very highest quality - most reviews say you can't tell the difference by the naked eye anyway - it is cheaper to buy and run and is very easy to use. I'm not totally convinced yet and would like to see one running - decision needs to be in the next week or so though as I am suffering badly from photo frustration at the moment.
afromac 16 150
14 Nov 2003 8:43AM
Wendy

479 is a really good price - may I ask who the price match was with (on the basis that I find it hard to believe this is a Jessops price!)? That way I can do a good bit of haggling. Otherwise, it looks like it will have to be our very own shop who has the next best price (along with Comet...)

Cheers

Doug
14 Nov 2003 9:23AM
Hi Doug, it seems they had sold one a few days earlier which they had 'demonstrated' to the customer, so agreed on that price. I'm also quite well known to my local Jessops and they use some of my photos to show prospective customers just what you can do with digital and even a relatively cheap printer (at the time this was the Epson 890), so I guess they owe me a favour or two! I also bought my S2 from them...
Best of luck anyway - maybe if they can demonstrate the printer to you first...Smile
14 Nov 2003 9:57AM
John, just noticed your comment about the 2100 and glossy paper. Whilst I've only had mine a short while, I tried printing on my glossy Fuji paper and it seemed OK. I think Barrie (Harwood) uses Olmec glossy from some of his comments - more info in this thread
What the long term prognostics are though...Smile
afromac 16 150
14 Nov 2003 12:36PM
Cheers Wendy - I guess it will be a hunt for the cheapest price and then beat them into submission. :o)

D
stuartd 17 61
15 Nov 2003 4:28PM
I replaced an Epson 1270 (could not get the heads declogged) with the 2100 and am very happy with the results.
The glossy prints from the 1270 are very good, but the 2100 is at least a match for them when I use Ilford Smooth Gloss or Smooth Pearl (and 17.99 for 25 A3+ it's great value). In addition the 2100 offers excellent matte paper prints as well as far superior (theoretically at least) print longevity, among other advantages.
Of course the Canon S9000/9100 is extremely fast and many people think it's a great printer, but I've read too many tales about micro-banding, and extremely rapid fading to risk it myself.
moggo 16 46
15 Nov 2003 6:15PM
I've just ordered a Canon i950 and I'm rather distressed the no one has mentioned that as a possibility. Have I made a mistake?! Bloke in the shop said it was great anyway. Cost 290 seemed good value too.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.