Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

A303 Tunnel near Stonehenge

thewilliam2 3 1.5k United Kingdom
13 Nov 2020 2:23PM
There was an announcement that our cash-strapped country is about to spend countless millions on a tunnel to bypass Stonehenge. The A303 is my least favourite road and I'd suggest that it needs a proper upgrade to something like a motorway-standard trunk road.

1. Is this so that punters only get to see the Henge if they've paid the admission fee?

2. Why was the monument built so close to the A303? WinkWinkWink
peterjones 18 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2020 3:13PM
The same fools built Windsor Castle to near to Heathrow Airport.Wink
altitude50 16 20.5k United Kingdom
13 Nov 2020 4:30PM
If the River Thames passed North or South of London, then there wouldn't be so many bridges needed.Grin
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.4k 2289 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2020 4:52PM
Southampton led the way in solving such problems. The 12th Century Bargate was a dreadful inconvenience to traffic, the town council very nearly demolished it in the late 19th Century but it was saved at the last moment. So instead they knocked down the medieval town walls on either side of it. Then just a couple of decades later they realised that traffic could be rerouted, and the whole area was pedestrianised. The demolition had been totally unnecessary.
13 Nov 2020 5:17PM

Quote:The same fools built Windsor Castle to near to Heathrow Airport.Wink

We Brits have never been much good at planning ahead!
capto Plus
8 6.4k 21 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2020 8:44AM
People do love a good protest.....and minorities make the most noise.
14 Nov 2020 9:19AM
I would expect that the excavation of the surrounds and approaches of the A303 tunnel might uncover many achaeological sites which would need careful investigation and could set back or even stop the project.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but in my opinion the Hindhead Tunnel on the A3 destroyed two beautiful, sensitive stretches of countryside with valuable wildlife and trees to improve one nearby site .
I know the area very well. having grown up about two miles away from Hindhead.
14 Nov 2020 10:20AM
My favourite uncle lived in Hindhead and the word was that the tunnel was built so that "our people" wouldn't be offended by the sight of a trunk road on the surface!
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
14 Nov 2020 10:25AM

Quote:destroyed two beautiful, sensitive stretches of countryside

Presumably these were not NT owned areas whereas the the nearby improved site is ?
14 Nov 2020 11:45AM
I am not sure exactly how much of the countryside there is run by the National Trust I think that the area South of Hindhead where the tunnel cutting is, was NT property. This is where I used to go with my parents for picnics. There were snakes, slow worms and lizards there amongst sandy heath and the pine trees and a view. Just as 'special' as the Devil's Punch Bowl.
Later on in the 70's I used to go metal detecting North of the Devil's Punch Bowl, same opinion applies, woodland chopped down and an enormous scar on the countryside.
An opportunity missed was the demolition of the Hindhead Huts Hotel at the cross roads, before the tunnel, plenty of space for a roundabout to help with traffic delays and much cheaper ,then houses built on the site.
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2020 2:12AM
This tunnel gets announced every couple of years.
And just as every time before - it won't happen.

Its a shame the road runs so close to Stonehange - but frankly now the road is there, its rather nice to see Stonehenge drift past as you drive by. PLEASE DO NOT TURN THE A303 INTO ANOTHER BORING MOTORWAY. leave it as it is. If there is too much traffic - then do something to reduce the amount of cars.
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
15 Nov 2020 6:38AM

Quote:My favourite uncle lived in Hindhead and the word was that the tunnel was built so that "our people" wouldn't be offended by the sight of a trunk road on the surface!

That's why some early railways went through tunnels when the terrain didn't really warrant it - in each case Lord So-and-so was happy for the railway to run under his land but not over it.
15 Nov 2020 11:28AM
And here in Dorset a lord had an entire village rebuilt somewhere else because it spoiled his view!
randomrubble 16 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2020 1:23PM

Quote:There was an announcement that our cash-strapped country is about to spend countless millions on a tunnel to bypass Stonehenge. The A303 is my least favourite road and I'd suggest that it needs a proper upgrade to something like a motorway-standard trunk road.

I'd say that the worst road(s) in England are the A259/A27 It's astonishing that there is no 'South Coast Expressway' and that everything from Dover/Folkestone has to head up the M20 -> M25. A proper South Coast route might even have kept the likes of Newhaven viable as Channel ports.
dcash29 15 2.4k England
17 Nov 2020 9:41PM

Quote:This tunnel gets announced every couple of years.
And just as every time before - it won't happen.

Shame that wasnt the case with HS2

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.