Don't Miss Out On Great WEX Offers - Find Out More

Abstract or not abstract!

Consulo 15 840 10 Scotland
4 Oct 2005 10:18AM
In photographic terms, my interpretation of abstraction is taking elements from a scene and removing them from their surrounding context.

If I were to use one of my own pictures as an example, this (IMO at least) qualifies as an abstract.

It's a road sign for a roundabout, but by selecting an area of the sign itself, thus removing it from the everyday context that we see it, it becomes abstract, as the emphasis is not on its function, but the pieces that make it up.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sheilac 15 162 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2005 2:11PM
Thanks to xanda for pointing out that all photographs are a form of abstraction. I had forgotten this. But given that, then the word (with that meaning) is redundant when referring to photography, since all photography is an abstraction of real life.

I think some photographers refer to another meaning of abstract, when they describe their or other people's pictures as abstract. This is the one where abstract means 'not representing any material object'. But in my view they use it because it sounds 'arty' and they use it where impressionistic, pattern, graphic or even fractal would be a better description. It seems to me like a bit of snobbery.

But then maybe I'm a snob for insisting on adherence to the correct meaning of words.

nitpicker.
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
4 Oct 2005 3:47PM
Why, does abstract sound snobbier than impressionistic, pattern, graphic or fractal? In fact I would say "fractal" would sound a hell of a lot snobbier.....

They're all words used to convey a meaning. If that meaning is clear to the conveyee (?) then that's fine, not a lot else matters

stirrer.....

Smile
Consulo 15 840 10 Scotland
5 Oct 2005 12:12AM
What Tooth said.
samuelh 15 22
5 Oct 2005 8:42PM
it's all just colors and shapes anyway
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2005 3:57AM
I'm interested to know whether this one would fit your definition of abstract?

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.