Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Adblocker to Start Displaying Ads

StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
14 Sep 2016 6:57PM
I just disabled mine. I'll give it a trial, and see what happens.
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
14 Sep 2016 7:51PM

Quote:It seems you can disable allowing the acceptable ads. I just did the uncheck.

Same here.
I've been an advocate of Adblock Plus for years; I've even been penalised for it, so I shall be mightily displeased if, after all this time, I'm forced to look at ads. of any kind.
At the moment, that disabling feature is pretty obvious, although I didn't know, until just now, that it existed. Hopefully, it will remain that way, although I have my doubts.
While I appreciate that sites use advertising to maximise their revenue, the problem with web ads. is that they're harder to ignore than ads. in a paper magazine.
An obvious alternative revenue stream for these sites might be to introduce a low price, paid for version with the ads. removed. If I was a regular visitor to such, I'd be happy enough to cough up a (very) small amount in exchange for ad. free use.
Conversely, I'd like to see the BBC go in completely the opposite direction!
4k78l 4 278 1 New Caledonia
14 Sep 2016 9:20PM
I'm using Adblock in google chrome that blocks ads on youtube as well. I'm also using 'I don't care about cookies' plugin as well, yet my favorite is 'Streamkeys' to manage sounds in my browser thorugh my media keys on my keyboard Tongue I don't really have a problem with ads here and there in general, but continous pop-ups, reminders here and there I just want out of. I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware.
I need to have a need before I might seek that opportunity, so everything else that is automatic on my computer is mostly shut down because I want to make the choice myself WHEN I want something.
Be an open mind yes, but being online is a very different "world"...
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
15 Sep 2016 12:36AM
I can listen to Radio 1 or Radio 2 (both ad free) or choose commercial radio stations that play very similar music, but play ads too. Sometimes I listen to the commercial stations as I don't mind listening to the adverts too much.

Web ads are less welcome. Too many make untruthful claims about products - especially slimming and nutrition products, others are con-tricks, bordering on criminal. It's still the wild west on the web and snake oil salesmen abound.

There are several ad blocking extensions with sound-a-like names. At least one has had an option for ages to allow non-intrusive advertising (things like Google text adverts) whilst keeping the flashy whirly stuff at bay.

The major complaint I've seen about ads on epz has been that some, though not epz's fault, have been very intrusive. Until the ad networks can guarantee to deliver tasteful, truthful and non-intrusive advertising to websites like epz the ad blocker writers will stay busy and decent sites like epz will suffer.
MartinBrown 10 265 England
15 Sep 2016 8:13AM
The easy workaround of that is to add the network ads website into your hosts file. Job done.
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2016 8:23AM
I think once blocker users become more aware of the feature to turn off the ads that are allowed through by the blocker, the blocker will introduce a update removing this feature and thus their ads will display. They are clearly in the business to make money off advertising now...ironically.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
15 Sep 2016 9:20AM
Once an Ad Blocker has millions of users they need money for servers etc to serve those users. Updates are more frequent as it gives them more opportunities to show you their donate page then they start to think of other ways to 'monetize' the user base.

Sites fight back with scripts to block you if you are using an ad blocker.

AdBlock extensions should really leave websites' ads enabled by default - but make it very easy to blacklist a website. One click. That way websites who run less intrusive ads wouldn't be penalised.

You can blame the sites who started doing things like floating adverts in front of what you were reading, autoplaying video adverts with sound, people walking across the screen, cars driving across the browser window etc for the backlash.

njalgar 13 337 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2016 1:11PM
For some time I have used AdBlock Plus with Internet Explorer. Worked fine. My main use was for reading the Daily Telegraph online. Far too many ads on the DT site that causes pages to take an eternity to load. I am far too stingy to buy a subscription so every few articles I needed to clear cookies. Last week I changed to using Firefox together with uBlock. That has proven to be brilliant. The DT pages load in less than a second and even protects me against the need to clear cookies. The DT site seems completly open and I no longer get reminders to buy a subscription. If the DT editor is a member of ephotozine and reading this, i would subscribe if you cut down the ads. For the (very) few sites where I am happy to see all ads, such as ephotozine, I use IE without an ad blocker.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.