Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Adobe Photoshop

bigtony 17 200
5 Sep 2005 2:28PM
can some of you wise heads recomend a book that will help me with adobe photoshop

has to be a simplton version

i wanted jessops to print a jpeg i had cropped but the guy told me i had cropped it to much so if i get a book and know what im doing i can go back with a smug look on my face

help...
MDR_Photo 15 872 England
5 Sep 2005 2:37PM
Which version have you got?
shellby 15 32 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 2:51PM
Online training is fantastic try www.lynda.com
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2005 4:36PM
Kim Walton 17 145 30 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2005 1:47AM
Adobe class room in a book will give you all the tutorials you need to get a good footing,its enjoyable as well.
shed 16 586 England
6 Sep 2005 5:13AM
The books are ok, but in my opinion, the ones I have read and seen all seem really basic. I much prefer to see video tutorials, as you can play them over, and also see how the techniques are done. The ones from Digital photo are possibly the best around, and you get a great magazine to boot.

Some of the books by Barry Thomas are quite good, if you really must get a book.

Andrew
timwilson 15 181 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2005 8:56AM
I'd agree with Andrew.. I've found the tutorials in Digital Photographer really useful. OK - they'll never make you an expert, but after a few months, you sharp pick up a ton of new techniques you never knew existed!!

Tim
Marlin_owner 15 658 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2005 10:48AM
Have you thought about doing a short college course?
debster 16 693 3 England
6 Sep 2005 1:03PM
Make friends with Miles.....he's taught me loads Smile

Debbie
mpower 15 186 England
6 Sep 2005 1:11PM
Yep, I'm with Andrew and Tim when it comes to the Digital Photography magazine...very helpful.

Also, along with Debbie, I like Scott Kelby too. He's got a very easy way about him and he pitches everything perfectly for a beginner. What his stuff does do is pretty much give you exact settings for certain tools to use. I found that doing that at first gave me a real understanding of the tool and then I could experiment with my own settings.
Morpyre Plus
15 1.6k 8 Wales
6 Sep 2005 1:28PM
there are many great tutorial sites online for photoshop - i taught myself how to use the program by experimenting and trial and error - doing various tutorials aswell builds up your knowledge pretty quickly and you'll often find that alot of things you do in photoshop are based on the same basic things

i absolutely love photoshop and couldn't be without it and if i had a choice of giving up my heart or giving up using photoshop i would lose my heart and breath on a machine hehe =)
i use it for my photography, art, graphic design and website designing. i've used it since version 4 and used it through the versions to CS and currently want CS2 when i can afford it =)

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/ is one of many fantastic photoshop sites online - the forum is great and anything you want to know about photoshop the members on the forum are more than happy to help - the site is run by Colin Smith who is an incredible photoshop master and he is good friends with Scott Kelby too

good luck with learning this great program =)
murasame 16 96
7 Sep 2005 7:45AM
Martin Evening - Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers

Best book I've ever seen! Maybe there's an update for CS2 out already, I don't know... Highly recommended!
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 8:33AM
I didn't find Martin Evenings book at all easy to follow.
You have to understand PS to make any sense of it.
psiman 16 574 Wales
7 Sep 2005 10:08AM
I'd also recommend the Digital Photo CD's, you will find that after about 12 months or so they start to repeat and they only really cover basic techniques but they're an excellent way to learn. At this time of the year there are a couple of other options you could look into:

- Taking an evening class, there a lots of these at Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced level across the country.

- Go along to your local camera club/photographic society. Most of them are starting their new season's now and many of them hold introductory sessions on Photoshop, plus there's always someone you can ask for help and advice.

Simon
digiphoto 18 40 12 England
7 Sep 2005 4:17PM
Go to www.bechamdigital.co.uk.Forget books buy Barry's C.D.or D.V.D's for around 12/13 and they will teach you all you need to about Photoshop from "Elements to CS2".the big advantage is you can run them on your computer while working on your image,just minimise the cd until you need it.
Also as Simon advises join a Camera Club. Regards Tony.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.