Adobe record?

puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2015 9:32AM
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with installing Adobe's extension manager? I have tried the internet to try to find out how to resolve the problem, but with no luck. I then spent over 6 hours with a guy from Adobe yesterday on live chat, who took control of my computer, but he was unable to find the problem. It is now a level 2 matter, whatever that means. I suspect someone who has more technical know-how in trying to rectify the problem.

However, if any of you have the answer where I could rectify the problem myself I would be grateful. (He removed my Norton 360, just in case that was stopping it being installed. I now have some malicious software on Chrome, which I will need to remove)

Cheers
Stephen

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon Plus
13 1.6k United Kingdom
3 Mar 2015 6:50PM
I have the same problem but have not been too concerned as I am not aware of any extensions that I need. If you find a solution, I would be interested.

Dave
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
3 Mar 2015 9:04PM
What do you need it for, are you running extensions ?

Are you both developers ?
Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
3 Mar 2015 9:10PM
Hang on . . .

You allowed a complete stranger to take control of your computer, remove your AV and now it's infected with malware . . . ?

keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Mar 2015 9:44PM
It's the first time I've heard of anyone from Adobe asking to gain remote access to anyone's computer.
3 Mar 2015 9:52PM
Lol Smile
4 Mar 2015 9:22AM
Adobe have live chat and can take remote access to your PC, as do Norton. You can see what's going on all the time and can stop them if you think something is wrong. I need to install a panel into Photoshop and that's the reason I need extension manager.
4 Mar 2015 10:41AM

Quote:Adobe have live chat and can take remote access to your PC, as do Norton.

I wouldn't trust Adobe as far as I could throw them.
As for Norton, I wouldn't touch their products with a bargepole, never mind give them access to my computer.
It's not really that they can take charge, it's a question of whether or not it's wise to let them.
The answer to that question; I think you've already ansered.
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
4 Mar 2015 12:53PM
I'm surprised that any company, particularly USA origin, allow their operatives to remotely access (via which software) a customers PC. It has potential litigation written all over it. EspecIlly when most of these Live Chat operators are reading to you from a crib sheet on anything beyond the regular FAQs.
4 Mar 2015 1:23PM
The operators in the live chat do come form the Asia, but they have been very good. Norton I have found have been great when I have had a problem and solved every issue up until now. I have tried other security software and find Norton to be the best. Would you trust Kaspersky? Russian!!!! Errr, no thanks. Any freebie software is a total waste of time. Do any other companies offer 24/7 backup, where you don't have to wait ages to get sorted out? These people would not be in business if they could not be trusted. For gods sake, they are taking care of the security of millions of peoples PC's.
4 Mar 2015 1:48PM

Quote:These people would not be in business if they could not be trusted.

You trusted them so much, they infected your machine.

Quote:Any freebie software is a total waste of time.

Debatable, depending upon who you choose to believe. In my experience, the freebie stuff's actually been pretty good.

Quote:For gods sake, they are taking care of the security of millions of peoples PC's.

That doesn't mean that they're any good; you can't equate quantity with quality.
I had the misfortune to use Norton on a computer some years back and it was open season for malware.
4 Mar 2015 6:29PM

Quote:Quote:These people would not be in business if they could not be trusted.

Quote:You trusted them so much, they infected your machine

Very unlikely, more than likely it was purely a coincidence.

From memory I believe they may have accessed my PC in my early days of CC following a problem I had, it never caused me any grief.

Quote:I wouldn't trust Adobe as far as I could throw them.

This from someone who frequently recommends people use pirated Adobe products, you make me laugh Smile
4 Mar 2015 6:52PM

Quote:This from someone who frequently recommends people use pirated Adobe products

Naturally, you can substantiate that?
4 Mar 2015 7:43PM
Your own words

Quote:anyone looking for a powerful editor, for nothing, would be foolish not to make the most of it.
4 Mar 2015 7:45PM
And I dare say that offer is still available.

Nothing to do with piracy though.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.