ADVERTISEMENT
Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Adobe Subscription Rant

sitan1 Avatar
sitan1 Plus
15 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2021 12:19PM
Most things seem to be going via the subscription model, I mean you can even get a subscription for your doorbell, the problem is all these subscriptions for £10-£20pm or even more all start to mount up and how many of them do we really need.
Ive been with Adobe for years now and have to say it is one of the best photo editing software out there for photographers but as Im using it less and less I feel like im throwing money down the drain every month.
I can't remember when, but I purchased the affinity software on discount through EPZ which is just sitting there on my PC.
I decided to bite the bullet and cancel my Adobe subcsription to save £10pm and use the affinity software thinking canceling my Adobe subscription would be straight forward.
As I went through the cancelation process Adobe said I need to pay an early exit fee charge which was around £50-£60, I was gobsmacked I thought the tie in feature was for the first year of subscription, but it seems that once you start your subscription you are tied in for every year your subscription starts and it doesnt matter how long you are a subscriber.
Perhaps I'm a bit thick or read it wrong but when I tweeted Adobe a few other people jumped into the conversation thinking the same thing as me.
At this stage I kept the subscription and was very angry thinking what a con.

Whilst surfing the internet I came across a website that sells adobe subscription for just under £3 for 3 months, normally I don't entertain these sites as I am very security concious and it if it seems to good to be true it normally is, but after reading reviews it seemed it was real.
I bought 3 months worth and paid through Paypal for protection, I recieved the code straight away and entered it into my Adobe account and low and behold it worked, it bascailly meant I didnt have to pay for 3 months of Adobe subscription.
I went back and purchased another 9 months worth and all the codes worked fine, this cost me around £12 for a years subscription to Adobe, which meant I now don't have to make any payments to Adobe for 1 year.

Now the here comes the point of my rant.....
As I am very security concious I contacted Adobe to have my bank card removed from their site, I mean theres no need to leave my bank card details on their server when I don't actually owe them anything now , and the less places who have my bank details the better.
Well have to say Adobe where useless, and horrible, they basically said as its a year contract they can't remove my card details until the subscription ends even though they wont be drawing any money off the card as Ive paid in full.
This was so frustrating and I could tell they didnt want to remove my card details from their system, especially when they was asking why I wanted to remove my details, errrr because of card fraud etc.
Anyway I sort of have a bit of anger towards Adobe for the they way they treated the situation and havent decided whether to cancel the subscription early as the year only cost me £12 or just ride the year out as it did only cost me £12 and in their favour their software is pretty darn good, I just get fed up of these big companies who end up holding all the cards, which includes mine lol.

There may be people on here who are interested in the website for the Adobe codes but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so if Admin reads this and says its ok I'll post the link below somewhere or if you are interested message me and I'll send you the link, be it at your own risk, but like I said it worked for me Grin

P.s sorry for the rant and moaning but hopefully this may help other people not knowing they are tied in every year for a full year.

Regards
Simon
Tianshi_angie Avatar
7 Jun 2021 12:36PM
I certainly didn't realise that if I cancel then I still have to pay for the year - I suppose the answer is to cancel at the end of your year. But I would have thought that your bank may well be more inclined to cancel your card than Adobe are for it to be cancelled. I would try ringing your bank and ask them if they can remove it for you - at least discuss the problem with them as they may be keener than you not to have the card sitting on someone's server waiting for any hacker to pop in and 'borrow' it.
sitan1 Avatar
sitan1 Plus
15 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2021 12:41PM

Quote:I certainly didn't realise that if I cancel then I still have to pay for the year - I suppose the answer is to cancel at the end of your year. But I would have thought that your bank may well be more inclined to cancel your card than Adobe are for it to be cancelled. I would try ringing your bank and ask them if they can remove it for you - at least discuss the problem with them as they may be keener than you not to have the card sitting on someone's server waiting for any hacker to pop in and 'borrow' it.

Thanks Angie I did think of that but Adobe are playing im tied in with the subscription card, I suppose theres no harm in ringing the bank so may give that a go.
Thanks
Simon
mbp Avatar
mbp 2 16
7 Jun 2021 12:50PM
Adobe are a complete nightmare when it comes to billing. I subscribed to £9.99 a month for Lightroom, but they take it out twice a month! Trying to contact them is harder then getting an audience with the Pope!
sitan1 Avatar
sitan1 Plus
15 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2021 12:56PM

Quote:Adobe are a complete nightmare when it comes to billing. I subscribed to £9.99 a month for Lightroom, but they take it out twice a month! Trying to contact them is harder then getting an audience with the Pope!

These are the mistakes I want to avoid by removing my card, your bank should be able to help with your situation as they are taking money they arent entitled to

Regards
Simon
Dave_Canon Avatar
Dave_Canon 17 2.2k United Kingdom
7 Jun 2021 1:49PM
I was aware that you needed to cancel at the end of a year as it has been mentioned in forums previously but I have no plans to end my membership anyway. I also bought Affinity with the special offer but found that it was not as comprehensive package as Adobe so stopped using it immediately.

Dave
sitan1 Avatar
sitan1 Plus
15 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2021 1:58PM

Quote:I was aware that you needed to cancel at the end of a year as it has been mentioned in forums previously but I have no plans to end my membership anyway. I also bought Affinity with the special offer but found that it was not as comprehensive package as Adobe so stopped using it immediately.

Dave

Its great you knew in advance and that was only thanks to forums, bit more of a shock when you don't know and go to cancel mid way through.

Regards
Simon
JackAllTog Avatar
JackAllTog Plus
14 6.4k 58 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2021 10:55PM
Hi Simon,

Rant On Sir - absolutely, these "lock in " automatic resign contracts are for the man in the street an absolute rip off. Almost highway robbery! = No Choice mate Computer says no!
Its only by public rants that the paying/voting public actually get to voice their disgust at being treated in a way that they would not treat others.
Its all smiles and promises when you sign the direct debit then, 4#ck off mate we got your money when you want to talk!

Like you i liked Adobe photoshop loads, but stopped at CS6 & LR5 as i hate the lock in they are trying to force on millions of customers. I've now save 5-6 years of subscriptions and quite frankly unless i ran a business or was rich, I'd now not return to the subscription model.

I do not see why they need to keep your credit card details - in extreme cases i'd report my card as lost then update only the new suppliers I liked with the new credit card.
sitan1 Avatar
sitan1 Plus
15 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2021 10:44AM

Quote:Hi Simon,

Rant On Sir - absolutely, these "lock in " automatic resign contracts are for the man in the street an absolute rip off. Almost highway robbery! = No Choice mate Computer says no!
Its only by public rants that the paying/voting public actually get to voice their disgust at being treated in a way that they would not treat others.
Its all smiles and promises when you sign the direct debit then, 4#ck off mate we got your money when you want to talk!

Like you i liked Adobe photoshop loads, but stopped at CS6 & LR5 as i hate the lock in they are trying to force on millions of customers. I've now save 5-6 years of subscriptions and quite frankly unless i ran a business or was rich, I'd now not return to the subscription model.

I do not see why they need to keep your credit card details - in extreme cases i'd report my card as lost then update only the new suppliers I liked with the new credit card.

Thanks, Stuart
So over that 5 years you've saved a lot of dollar, £10pm doest seem much, but it really mounts up over time.
I didn't go too much into the conversation with Adobe customer services, but they were on the verge of being abrupt and rude and actually questioned me about how it was all paid for because by not actually paying monthly I was breaking the contract, I felt like they were scaremongering to make me shut up and go away, like you said all polite and happy when you sign up.
I'll probably watch some YouTube videos on infinity software and prepare myself for the jump.

One thing I've found is as powerful Photoshop and Lightroom is, if you get most of it right in camera you only really need basic adjustments anyway.

Thanks for your feedback
Regards
Simon
redsnappa Avatar
redsnappa 21 2.8k United Kingdom
8 Jun 2021 6:17PM
If you try Affinity photo you will realize how much of a rip off Photoshop is.
Jestertheclown Avatar
Jestertheclown 14 8.8k 255 England
8 Jun 2021 8:28PM

Quote:If you try Affinity photo you will realize how much of a rip off Photoshop is.

Horses for courses.

Photoshop's only a rip off if you think it is.

It's still, unquestionably, the most powerful tool out there and if that's what you require, then it's pretty good value.

Affinity's OK and it is very cheap but it will always be the poor relation by comparison.
saltireblue Avatar
saltireblue Plus
13 14.5k 88 Norway
8 Jun 2021 8:40PM

Quote:Affinity's OK and it is very cheap but it will always be the poor relation by comparison.

Affinity is by no means a poor relation - unless you are a professional photo retoucher making your living from processing/retouching images
Even the owner of a retouch firm I know says so, and she has even said that the average amateur never uses more than 10% of what is available in PS, and that Affinity is more than capable enough.
SlowSong Avatar
SlowSong Plus
15 11.1k 30 England
8 Jun 2021 9:07PM
For me, I'm more than happy with Elements. The only time i use full PS is when i want the warp tool, and that's using a really old full version. Like with cameras, i doubt the enthusiast will use most of the options available, which you're paying for.
Jestertheclown Avatar
Jestertheclown 14 8.8k 255 England
8 Jun 2021 10:06PM

Quote:Affinity is by no means a poor relation - unless you are a professional photo retoucher making your living from processing/retouching images

So sometimes it's a poor relation, depending what you do for a living?

Quote:she has even said that the average amateur never uses more than 10% of what is available in PS,

She's probably right but there's still 90% more available, should you require it.

Quote:Affinity is more than capable enough.

Again, she's probably right but that depends what you want it to be capable of.

I use both and Affinity's OK but for anything a bit more complicated, I'll always use Photoshop.
pink Avatar
pink Plus
20 7.4k 11 England
9 Jun 2021 7:40AM
I have purchased and tried many different editing software and always come back to Photoshop, for a little over 30p per day it supports my passion, what else can you get for 30p per day?
I appreciate that over the years it mounts up, but if photography is your main hobby then it is chickenfeed in comparison to other hobbies I have had.
I don't buy magazines any more, that alone saves me over half my PS monthly subscription alone.
Each to their own, but I still think it is good value for me anyway.

Login

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join for free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.