Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Advance Warning of Lunar Eclipse

MaryMac 14 258 1 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2008 9:50PM
Hi mark
Just had a look at your moon shot I will be pleased if I get something like this later on
Ive just had a look at some shots I took earlier and the ring around the moon is a strange shade of purple on some and green on others any idea what that is ?
Mary
hook 13 706 England
20 Feb 2008 9:52PM
Mould on the cheese, silly! or perhaps it was Saturn!

No sorry Mary. I did notice when i did mine that there was a bit of noise type stuff in the lighter regions of the edge but i took them out with a brush in c/s
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
20 Feb 2008 9:53PM
Thick fog here, so I'm just off up the hill to see if I can get some shots of the moon over a sea of fog before the eclipse ruins it.

Wink
vinnyc 12 110 England
20 Feb 2008 9:58PM

Quote:Vinny
check this
took me ages to get any thing like what i wanted.

mark

sorry cant get link to work, check my moon pic in my pf. i shot it last night.

cheers mate. Did eventually manage to get something similar purely by trial and error Wink will try and upload it later but just got a new laptop so gotta reinstall all my photo software Wink misses had an accident with last one and cracked the screen but at least i got an excuse to get a new one to go with my new camera!!
doug_7 14 482 England
20 Feb 2008 10:02PM
Thick cloud here so no moon shots from me Sad
Thermal suit off and I think a tot of port Grin
Would be nice to see what the rest of you get Smile
hook 13 706 England
20 Feb 2008 10:10PM
Wiltshire has gone cloudy now. but i will check out the first bit at 1:30 and then at 3:30 before i totaly give up !
20 Feb 2008 10:29PM
Hmmmm Patrick I wonder how that can be too I just copied the data from the site that I check the weather forcast with in case we are blessed withrain http://www.info.bw/resource/weather/index.shtml
then clik Botswana
Mary
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
20 Feb 2008 10:58PM

Quote:how can the sunset and the moonrise be so close together when it is a full moon?

Sounds OK to me.
The Sun sets in the West and the Moon rises in the East.
The reason there will be an eclipse is the fact they will be opposite each other in the sky and the Earth will get in the way...

Wink
20 Feb 2008 11:08PM
Glad you understand these things DougSmile
Hows everyone managing to stay awake ? I keep walking round the gardens and have just spent 29mins watching the fish in the pond even saw the Chobe Bream in there havnt seen the big one for ages Just putting the kettle on anyone fancy a cuppa
WelshKiwi 12 3.2k 2 Wales
20 Feb 2008 11:14PM
Thick Fog here as well on the Island so there is NO hope at all.

So no point trying to stay awake me thinks Smile
vinnyc 12 110 England
20 Feb 2008 11:39PM
Really cloudy here on merseyside too. Disappointed as wanted to test the tips provided on here Sad Here is my first attempt couple of nights ago

vinny
20 Feb 2008 11:47PM
Very nice Vinnie I like how you captured the moon craters too
now I really want to take a good shot I have already set my ISO onto 400 so I hope thats good enough
Mary
vinnyc 12 110 England
20 Feb 2008 11:55PM
yeah spent about 40 mins freezing my backside off in the garden! Lot of the pics i took at 1st were either over exposed or blurred got a bit carried away with the iso & shutter speed. especially seeing as was using a tripod. Think the cold air was freezing my brain cells Smile
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
21 Feb 2008 12:07AM
Very overcast here at present, so it looks like a disappointing night.

Not to worry.
That's a nice shot of the moon you have there Vinny.
You will find that you can use 100 or 200 ISO normally and crank it up to 400 during eclipse time due to the dimming.
It's mostly trial and error, but you have plenty of time to try different settings.
Also remember that the moon is moving, so if the shutter speed is slow (more than about 2 secs) it will soften the image.

Remember to wear a nice warm hat and gloves and keep moving around to stay warm.

I once had a three hour session in the back garden with a telescope and when I came in the house the scope was covered in frost!

Smile
21 Feb 2008 12:07AM
Just been out for 10mins here its lovely and warm with a slight breeze now saw 2 owls flying around and a scabby cat prowling have to watch out for snakes at this time of night they come out to feed at night I have my 4 dogs with me so i feel reasonably safe from any beasties that might be slithering around
The moon is now right over my front yard so Ive moved my chair and camera there from the back i have a full clear view of the moon its amazing tonight as yet no signs of the things to come I will keep watching and see whwn it happens
Mary

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.