Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Advance Warning of Lunar Eclipse

MaryMac 14 258 1 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2008 11:17AM
Hear hear for Dougv much appreciated advice it was a real learning curve for me I didn't get "the Shot" in fact i got very little I really have to get on a course or find someone who knows what they are doing but its not easy in the bush anyone fancy a holiday in Botswana swap tutorials for B&B !!
I took 263 shots with the Sony didn't get 1 clear shot lots of nice circles and 1 owl !
I took 184 with the Nikon and whilst they are in focus again lots of circles with not much detail you can tell the sun is going over but only if I tell you first its so disappointing as I really did read my manual and took all the advice from the link in this forum and of course from Doug
I haven't been to bed yet either so fatigue is setting in but it was worth seeing
Thanks for sharing
Mary

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
21 Feb 2008 1:49PM
Well I hope someone got a few photos.
I went to bed just after 03:00 as it didn't look like the cloud cover was going to clear.

There will be another chance to practice on the 16th August this year when there will be a partial eclipse of the moon visible from the UK.
That one should be around 20:00 to 24:00 UTC, so the timing is a little better.

Hope you all had fun trying.

Doug Smile
PatrickSmith 15 1.2k 2 United States
21 Feb 2008 1:56PM

Quote:Well I hope someone got a few photos.

Yes, I got one shot of the eclipse.
A 1 hour exposure @F8 with ND grad 0.9 ISO 160

Very very unusual looking! No time yet to process it, so it is straight from the camera.
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
21 Feb 2008 2:01PM
That's a very interesting shot.
Looks like a fireball!
cambirder 16 7.2k England
21 Feb 2008 2:36PM
Interesting result Patrick. I assume that the lack of star trails is do to thin cloud cover, and the way it tapers from left to right means you started the shot in full eclipse.
21 Feb 2008 3:08PM
Yep, There were some high clouds which allowed the land and water to show up fairly well exposed, so yes, no star trails. Of course it was clear all day, then right when it started some clouds moved in!

I started it about 10 minutes after totality began and ended it about 10 minutes after it began to emerge from the Earth's shadow.

I think a partial eclipse might be better for such a wide angle because in totality, it was very faint for half of this exposure and in this image, you can not see the start of it at 940 pixels in size. I waited to start the exposure until some thick clouds moved by. When I process it, I'll get some better contrast I think.
21 Feb 2008 3:21PM
Could you sell it to the National Enquirer

"Giant Fireball just misses SF"
21 Feb 2008 3:39PM
LOL - Or something about mysterious alien abductions from strange fiery craft! Just think of how many millions would believe it.....
21 Feb 2008 4:48PM
Could have serious consequences Smile
21 Feb 2008 5:47PM
Yes, I remember that one well. It was in the news even before the mass suicide happened. We all watched it happen, it seemed. But legally, you can not stop a cult until often it is too late!
exposure Plus
16 6.0k England
21 Feb 2008 9:32PM
Oh no I thought it was tonight 21 feb LOL
OH well next time.
Pauline
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
21 Feb 2008 9:37PM
Doh!

Sad
uggyy 14 2.1k 9 Scotland
21 Feb 2008 9:52PM
Alch :-( ... I was near the same but I re-checked wasnt an issue anyway as it was pouring down anyway....
exposure Plus
16 6.0k England
21 Feb 2008 10:11PM
I should have checked but never mind, the weather here would have been brilliant no cloud cover and the moon was so bright at two this morning as you said Doug doh! (*.*)
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
21 Feb 2008 11:21PM
....if you go out in this wind Doug you're a mad man Smile

so I guess you'll have a cold when we see you at Focus!

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.