Advantages of using Lightroom over Photoshop?

7 Sep 2019 5:23PM
Once the image is imported into LR then you can do your raw processing in the develop module which uses the same code as ACR. If you want more image manipulation such as layers or masks then transfer the image (as a TIFF or PSD) with lightroom adjustments into Photoshop.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

7 Sep 2019 5:53PM
Dear philstan, thank you for your explanation.
I wanted to get into LR for years and upload my images into that database.
This I achieved 2 weeks ago, I had not yet gone past the 'import' module.
I'll do that now.
Once again thank you,

Robert
chase Plus
14 1.2k 259 England
7 Sep 2019 10:39PM
I use LR to import my raw files,tweak slightly in the develop option, correct white balance etc or delete once I have looked at them. I then 'select all' and export the ones I want to keep into a file I create in 'my pictures' generally as 16 bit Tiff files. Photoshop is my main editing choice and I open the Tiffs from the file I have created in my pictures into Photoshop.
I do use LR to ' merge to HDR ' on the appropriate images.
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
8 Sep 2019 8:11AM

Quote:
I'd go so far as to say MOST photographers don't actually need Photoshop if they have Lightroom. I do the vast majority of photographic adjustments in Aperture with only heavy duty work using Photoshop [I'm a designer].

While any photographer can post process any way they like, for many photographers using Lightroom I would marginally disagree in that they are likely to need PhotoShop only occasionally
Railcam 12 764 2 Scotland
8 Sep 2019 12:49PM
Most of my photography is recording the real scene and thus I can do 98% of my post processing in Lightroom. Only serious cloning and the very occasional use of layers requires Photoshop. I do not need the montaging, arty filters etc of Photoshop.

Notwithstanding, I am learning Photoshop more in depth as I have it through the Adobe subscription mode. It is there may as well get to try it properly.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.