Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

Advice from Epson 2100 users......

zippie 17 1.3k England
11 Sep 2004 5:41PM
Ok, so I have finally decided that the 2100 is the A3 printer for me.....

A couple of questions though...

1) Lyson / perma jet inks, worth it or not ? Do the prints have the same longevity as Epsons ?

2) What paper to use for my prints ? Have read several articles on how bad gloss prints are from the 2100, so do i use Matte paper ? Which one ? And will my wildlife shots come out ok on matte paper (not being thick, but have never used it !) Also, have been looking at the prices of the A3 archival matte paper, then found A3+...! I thought i was finally getting somewhere and then they go and confuse me again ! Difference between A3 & A3= is ???

3) anyone got any ideas where I can get the plastic sleeves from to put my mounted A3 prints in ?

Cheers in advance guys, you've been great for your advice and help when required...

Andy
andytvcams 19 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2004 5:51PM
Check the forums Andy,this was just brought up recently
PS,Have you found a good price for the 2100?.
zippie 17 1.3k England
11 Sep 2004 10:40PM
C'mon...I know there are loads of 2100 users out there....

Had a search on the forums, could only find bits of answers though...

About 440 is the best so far...
railton 19 304
12 Sep 2004 9:17AM
Hello Andy, the difference between A3 and A3+ is just size. A3+ at 19 x 13" is ideal if you are coming off a 35mm type proportion, less wastage of paper. A3 and A4 proportions tend to waste some paper when you lay the print down but it really depends on what size you want to go to.
finste 17 26 United Kingdom
12 Sep 2004 10:13AM
Hi,

The glossy prints off the 2100 suck in comparison to even dye sub glossy prints never mind glossies off a Fuji Frontier. Semi-gloss is a little bit better but not much.

The 2100 really shines with matte paper. Epson archival matte seems to be the standard paper and is very good. I've also had good results with Ilford smooth heavyweight matte. It has a whiter paper base than the epson and therefore a little bit more contrast. Both of them look good on their own but pale when compared to Hahnemuehle Photo Rag. It has a much higher DMAX figure. (Blacks are much blacker) Also, skin tones are a bit warmer than the Epson and Ilford matte papers.

The downside of matte is of course that not everyone thinks photographs on matte paper are "real" photographs. Thats why I've been looking at the R800 as a printer for glossies but as yet have been unable to find any sample prints to compare with.

Regards....

BOB S 19 2.6k
12 Sep 2004 11:18AM
427.95 inc VAT on EBuyer

See HERE

BOB
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
12 Sep 2004 11:37AM
I fear I may have to invest in a decent printer soon. My Epson 890 is really starting to annoy me.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2004 5:50AM
I have to disagree with Glossy prints being bad on the 2100. I have used this printer for years and it is first class, in fact it's an unbeatable A3 printer in my opinion.

Epson do not make a glossy paper suitable for the 2100 and I use either Ilford Smooth Glossy or the ICI Olmec version which has a bright white base (I did the testing for ICI on this paper).

Having said this, one of the major issues with glossy printing which applies to every inkjet printer under the sun is the way the prints are produced.

The paper surface is glossy but the ink is laid down on the surface. This is OK as the glossyiness (!) is still evident however, if there are large white areas (a wedding dress for example) no ink is laid down (i.e. white is the absence of ink). Consequently, when viewed at a slight angle, you can see a layering effect where parts of the print have ink and others none or little.

The R800 gets around this and works EXTREMELY well by (optionally) adding a layer of gloss to the finished print.

I use my R800 with Epson Premium Glossy and the results are the best glossy prints I have ever seen to the extent that the father of a recent bride of mine (who is a photographer himself) actually rang me to say how interested and surprised he was that a professional photographer was still producing 'wet' prints! I had to tell him how I produced them and he wouldn't believe it.

I imagine an A3 version of the R800 is in the pipeline (the A4 R800 has been around for a while now) so perhaps you should wait for a while. However, if you do decide to go with the 2100, I can asure you, you won't be sorry!

Barrie
13 Sep 2004 7:20AM
Thats interesting Barrie,a A3 R800,i wonder how long,as I'm thinking of getting the 2100.
13 Sep 2004 7:36AM
I hope I am right Andy. It seems logical as the R800 has been around for a while now (relatively speaking) and the 2100 must be due for an upgrade.....
13 Sep 2004 9:50AM
What is Lyson ink?,and is it any good?.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
13 Sep 2004 10:37AM
Andy,
This is Lyson's homepage here:
www.lyson.com/includes/frames.html
it should answer your questians.

Basically I believe they offer a continuous inking system,whereas,instead of buying the
small amount of ink which is contained in Epson's cartridges, you can buy the ink in far larger quantities,thus saving money if you churn out a great number of prints.

Never used it personally,so can't comment on quality.I do believe it's a very popular system though.

Hope this helps.

Justin
13 Sep 2004 11:20AM
Thank you Justin,has anybody used the Lysons system?.
13 Sep 2004 11:30AM
I know it's not the same printer, but I used Lysons Small Gamut inks (not the continuous system) on an Epson 1160 and had nothing but problems with nozzle blockages etc that I have never had with Epsons own inks and after that have never touched them again!

I know there are people who swear by them but all I did was swear at them!
13 Sep 2004 2:10PM
Thanks Barrie,thats just made my day,LOL,ive just bought the 2100 complete with the Lysons system,lets hope ive not wasted my money.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.