Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Advice needed

JOJO1986 16 65
27 Dec 2006 7:12PM
I have been asked to take photos of a friends wedding and i dont know what 2 charge. Its a fair journey so wud need to charge travel costs.

I do know he doesnt have much money, and as he is a friend i dont want 2 make it 2 expensive but want 2 make it worthwhile.

Also i have never taken wedding photos before so.....

Maximum he wants 2 spend is 250

Any advice??
Boyd 18 11.2k 11 Wales
27 Dec 2006 7:31PM
A friend without much money you say? Best make it nice and cheap then.
Travel cost + cost of your time + cost of the prints and album + cost of insurance in case you muck up the pictures on their once in a lifetime (hopefully) day + cost of insurance in case the mother-in-law trips over your tripod and breaks her arm thus ending her career as a high flying barrister...
JOJO1986 16 65
27 Dec 2006 7:44PM
I was thinking of giving him the album as his wedding present. Photos on disk so he can take the disk home and pick and choose the photos he wants in the album.

He said he wanted to spend maximum 200 - 250.

Travel costs I was thinking 75 and for the day I was thinking 150. That comes to 225. (Half way between the 2 maximum budgets) Do u think that sounds reasonable??
dk.snakes 18 7 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2006 7:49PM
225 sound like a gift to me. You should end up with a thousand orders to cover other peoples weddings, provided your photography an organising ability are up to the task. Good luck, try and remember that this is a once only event with no option for retakes ;o)
JOJO1986 16 65
27 Dec 2006 7:51PM
Yea i know....its VERY scarey lol...but i am hoping as he is a friend and he knows i am sort of new to it all...i am hoping he'll take that in2 account.

That is exactly the reason i am using digital not film lolol
User_Removed 20 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2006 7:57PM
Diss should av been sorted out B4 hand really but eye wood of sed 400 woz a fair price and below avrage. init.
JOJO1986 16 65
27 Dec 2006 7:59PM
What do u mean this shud b sorted out b4 hand??

Yea 400 is fair but as he is a friend of mine with not much money (no job etc) plus as i sed its my 1st time doing wedding photography.
lobsterboy Plus
18 15.0k 13 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2006 8:04PM
ow many ppl r they xpecting @ the wedding?
JOJO1986 16 65
27 Dec 2006 8:05PM
Not sure although i think its only going 2 b a small wedding. Registry office i think. Why do u ask?
Little Jo Plus
20 2.3k United Kingdom
27 Dec 2006 8:32PM

Quote:Yea i know....its VERY scarey lol...but i am hoping as he is a friend and he knows i am sort of new to it all...i am hoping he'll take that in2 account.

You aren't doing your friend any favours if you aren't turning up both competant and confident you can tackle this job. Short of money or not - to act as the official photographer and being 'paid' puts a responsibility on yourself to ensure you will deliver good results. If you saw the recent 'Watchdog' programme that dealt with a poor wedding photographer and saw the upset of the couples who ended up with poor quality photos or no photos - if there's a disaster, you can't go back for another go.

How would you feel if you were in their shoes, set up a similar arrangement and it didn't work out? You also need to be able to deliver quality prints that will stand the test of time for a wedding album. Unless printed on good quality paper with a good printer, the photos will not stand the test of time and will fade horribly.

Please consider all the different comments carefully before proceeding any further.

Jo
JOJO1986 16 65
27 Dec 2006 8:45PM
Well as far as i'm aware i'll be putting photos on disk so they can print the photos as and when they want.

I will consider everything you have said and I will be meeting up with the couple to discuss everything.

I am confident I can take the photos but as I have never done wedding photography it is a new venture so therefore a bit scary...however if the couple are hsppy I am willing to do the best I can.
User_Removed 18 17.9k 8 Norway
27 Dec 2006 9:22PM

Quote:Please consider all the different comments carefully before proceeding any further.

I can't reinforce Jo's input enough. This could be the the quickest way to lose a good friend... Be VERY sure of your next move.

Quote:Well as far as i'm aware i'll be putting photos on disk so they can print the photos as and when they want.

That's all well and good, but...

Quote:but as I have never done wedding photography it is a new venture so therefore a bit scary.

... if the images are not 'there' in the first place... It's a CD full of bad memories- and a lost friendship.

It's OK to say 'No' to a friend...

Smile
elowes 18 2.8k United Kingdom
27 Dec 2006 9:33PM
I tried wedding photography and it was a nightmare I could have done without.

An assistant to think through the logistics for you while you take the photos could be a boon.
JOJO1986 16 65
27 Dec 2006 9:55PM
Yea i did think of saying no...I am now thinking it would be good experience.
agoreira 18 6.0k Wales
27 Dec 2006 10:09PM

Quote:This could be the the quickest way to lose a good friend...

I have turned down 5 weddings to date, there is nothing that I would fancy doing less! Wink However, if it were a good friend, I'm pretty sure I'd do it for nothing, especially if I had no experience of weddings whatsoever!
To me, to charge a good friend a couple of hundred quid, based on your pf, and that you have no previous experience of weddings, well, let's just say we're different! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.