Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Advice on 10 stop filter please.

MiqsPix 8 43 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2012 4:27PM
But what do you do if you want to include an extra ND grad on top? There are occasions when you want to hold the sky for balance even when using the 10 stopper.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2012 4:51PM
Good point, but the filter also has a thread on the front (i think) so just screw the P holder fitting in to this - watch for vignetting if too many filters are used.
i.e.
Lens > Screw Filter > P holder
12 Jun 2012 10:15AM
Yes I understand but my point was with composition. If I decide to also use my ND grad filter I have to see in the viewfinder, or live view, where to position it, i.e.on the horizon. Obviously you cannot see it if you are viewing through the ND 10 as it's too dark. Agree? Smile
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2012 12:21PM
Fair point, i've had to guess a bit with mine, or even screw it in afterwards on dull days.
22 Jun 2012 11:17AM
The final chapter! I went to my dealer and he had received the felt gasket modification which he tried to fit. Didn't work did it! No matter how he attached it there was still light leakage from around the filter as it didn't have a snug fit. We noticed however that all modifications to the Hitech ND filter NOW have a printed disclaimer recommending using a black cloth or otherwise to limit light intrusion. I think they now realise they have a problem! I asked about the square Lee big Stopper and he said the Lee although more expensive, it was a better configuration and fitted with no leakage. I would have bought one except I would have to also buy the Lee filter holder at extra cost. So the lesson is again " buy cheap buy twice!"

Conclusion was I need a ND 10 stop filter so I asked my dealer if he could convert my square filter to a circular one, accepting this was my only alternative, or a full refund which he offered. I decided to have my filter machine cut down to a 77mm circular one which he promptly did and mount onto a fitting ring, so I now have a perfectly usable circular HD 10 stop filter. I know my previous comments preferred a square ND filter, but I now know I have something that works against something that is suspect. I understand that to use an extra square ND grad is going to present a problem but I have to accept this and figure out how to get around it.

Without overtly advertising my supplier I have to mention that he was very knowledgeable and fully understood the problem although completely unaware of it until he contacted his source and found that it was well known and documented. He made all modifications free of charge and gave me a complimentary gift for my trouble. So I can only recommend anyone who has bought a P size square Hitech ND 10 stop grad filter and has the same problem either PM me or get in touch with them for any info and advice.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.