Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Advice on a sale please...

mattberry 15 259 14 Greece
20 Mar 2007 1:34PM
Hi all,

I've been asked for a price for a one off use for a photo in my portfolio, by a local authority.

As I'm new to the idea of selling pics, can anyone give me an idea of a realistic price that I should ask?

the picture in question

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Matt

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

celyn 14 88 Wales
20 Mar 2007 1:57PM
Stock Photo price calculator here
ZenTog 17 7.9k 1 England
20 Mar 2007 1:59PM
depending on useage and the licence you give them, I would look between 100 -250 , start at the higher figure and be prepared to bargin, the only people who dont bargin are people right a the top of the tree, they can afford to turn money down if its not enough

by the way its a really good wildlife picture love the black and green background
mjsayles 13 1.0k
20 Mar 2007 2:25PM
If it's a local authority, bear in mind they will probably have a very limited budget.

But generally, yes, aim high and barter down, if necessary.
mjsayles 13 1.0k
20 Mar 2007 2:26PM
Sorry - mysterious double-posting.
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
20 Mar 2007 2:51PM
Hiyer Matt,
I sold a shot of a Holly Blue butterfly last year to an agent working of behalf of a Local Authority (Lambeth) last year. It was to be used as a one-off 6x4 inch image on a wildlife reserve information board detailing the species. I charged 100 in the end which I thought was reasonable given what it was going to be used for......Hope this helps....Ade
Simon_Whitehouse 15 769 5 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 7:34PM
I hope you gave Sue the money Ade!

Smithy
23 Mar 2007 11:47PM
Thanks to everyone who posted. I took the advice and have just about struck a deal now, at a figure I am happy with.

Its a good feeling to have someone out there actually want to use one of your pics Smile

Matt
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
24 Mar 2007 9:13AM
Would be good for other members to know what you eventually agreed, should this type of question arise again. Would you feel like sharing the sale price Matt?
30 Mar 2007 8:49PM
Just caught your message Pete...

The final price was 100 for a single use license, for a run of about 50 posters. I started higher but settled for this amount, I was just happy that someone wanted to use my image, the money is just an added bonus really.

I'd be interested in anyones opinions or thoughts about the deal, feel free to slate me if I did a bad deal Smile

I have to thank EPZ for the sale really as the initial contact came via another member here, having seen my pics and telling the agent who was looking for the pic in question!

Just goes to show how worthwhile it is to be a member here, you never know what may be around the corner Smile

Matt

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.