advice on taking landscape photos please.

25 Aug 2009 2:47PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and realy enjoying it. Would like some tips please on getting better shots, aint generaly happy with my landscape pics that include 'busy' areas such as meadows or leafy trees, I'm using a cannon compact (a720is) its 8mp and has manual controll settings. I usualy take photos in sunshine or slightly overcast light and hold the camera or rest is (or me) against something solid. the 'busy' areas seem a bit washed out and lack detail. Aint tried any software yet, computer newbie! Is this what im missing? Cheers, Dave.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman 14 1.7k 1 England
25 Aug 2009 2:52PM
My first comment would be that I rarely take photos of landscapes in bright sunlight as I find the light harsh and prefer softer light when the sun is lower and shows more shadow and highlight detail rather than a flat brightly lit scene.
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
25 Aug 2009 2:58PM
If you want to shoot 'busy' subjects then you need to shoot in shadow or on an overcast day as direct sunlight leads to lots of confusing specular highlights. If you are shooting in cloudy weather, it's best to avoid having a dull grey sky in the shot.
webjam 15 292 11 Netherlands
25 Aug 2009 3:00PM
I guess that most landscape photographers use sunrise or sunset as the best time to capture landscapes. The light is much warmer and with filters it is easier to hold back bright areas so there is enough definition in darker areas.

Landscapes pictures work better if there is a point in the frame where the eye is lead to. If that is not strong enough, we also like to include some foreground interest... Smile
That is why most of us stay away from meadows and woods during the summer and hard sunlight. (Well, at least I!)

There are a number of toggers here though, that break these rules and make it work wonderfully.
For instance Graham knows how to make it work - especially the second page of his portfolio will give you some excellent examples.
Hope this helps a bit.

Jacqueline
26 Aug 2009 3:52PM
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Very much appreciated, will try some evening light shots. Dave.
mattw 15 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2009 5:42PM
If you are going to be shooting in the evening - then the lower light levels might become a problem if you handhold. A tripod is the solution

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.