Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Advice please

garymcparland 14 343 3 United Kingdom
29 Jun 2007 12:48PM
Hi Guys

I recently did some work for a Local Sandwich bar/Cafe which involved one evenings shoot for a requested shot and they also chose two of my previous pictures. These 3 files were being enlarged by their own choice of printer and i supplied a disc with the files. I was called yesterday by the printer because the files werent large enough to all print at the same quality when enlarged. He wanted re sized files. That was fine but now the customer has backed out and are going to use alternative graphics for the wall because they dont want to risk it aparently.
This was my first time doing anything like this.
Should i still charge for my time on the evenings shoot and for a few hours worth of consultation and computer time?
I was going to charge £210 for the 3 images so can anyone advise on what percentage i should charge for my time wasted.

Thanks
Gary
Simon-Gimson 14 236 1 England
29 Jun 2007 1:22PM
i think you should still charge for the shhot and for time wasting if it was me i would bill the 65% of the bill with a lettler explaining why you have to charge. as we all know time cost weather its taking the shots or time editing them .

i charge a model who would not let me use any of the photos i took after we said it would be done on a tfcd base`s if i could use the shots for my website when she got the cd of shots she said i could nt so i charge her £ 200.00 for my time
i hope this helps
Si
peter_davey 15 1.4k England
29 Jun 2007 1:52PM
They comissioned you to take the shots, you did that - charge them full wack for you're time.

I'd then add on the wasted time - maybe not at a full photogrpahy rate but something to cover your time at the PC.
garymcparland 14 343 3 United Kingdom
29 Jun 2007 2:19PM
Thanks for the advice guys.
DeSilver Plus
13 14 12 England
10 Oct 2007 11:33AM
Hi,
I learnt the hard way, I would photograph say a wedding hand over the proofs (7 X 5 prints) for them to chouse and that would be the last I would hear. May I say that is was not because the pic's were rubbish it was because the kept the proofs and put them in an album. I went to a friends house one night and they showed me a wedding album of what they said were lovely photos of someone they new, so I had a look and they were my proof prints! I was not amused I can tell you.
So what I did then was to ask for a Non Returnable Deposit, say 50% and the balance one week before the shoot. Most people who were honest had no problems with this, though one or two would say what happens if we do not pay the balance? I would say that's simple "I will not be there on the day and you will lose your money" I know that this information is a bit late (a bit like shutting the stable door I know) but for the future you must take control of the situation, if you buy a new car the salesman tells you the deal how much deposit he wants and so forth. Do the same TAKE CONTROL and be professional. They will think more of you if you are more professional.
But back to your problem, ask them for 75% and settle for say 60% of the total, if they are not willing to pay take them to the small claims court. It will cost you nothing and you do have a contract with them "A verbal Contract" witch in law is legal. Don't let them mess you about. I no longer do and I get a lot more respect for it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.