Advice using filters.

CathyT 14 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2006 4:07AM
I need some advice on the use of filters.

I have recently bought a Cokin P ND8 gradual grey for landscapes but when I use it in manual mode it is soooo dark.
If I set the camera to Aperture mode then all is well but is the camera compensating for the filter and not recording the filters effects?
I'm probably being a bit thick but if someone can explain it would be much appreciated.

Cathy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Miles Herbert 17 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2006 4:12AM
The camera is seeing through the filter so will take into account the filter effects when it calculates the exposure in Aperture Priority mode.

In manual mode, after you have added the filter you will have to make the changes in exposure yourself to get the correct exposure, ie to get the exposure indicator back in the center of it's range. You could also try bracketing shots around it to to find the one that works best.

The idea of the filter is to even up the differences between the bright sky and the darker land, so a correctly filtered image will be exposed for the land area and the sky should follow...if your filtering is too strong, it will be too dark, if filtering is not strong enough it will be too light... in a perfect world.
7 Mar 2006 4:23AM
So Miles, just to clarify, the effects of the filter work best on manual mode. OK Perhaps I need to adjust a bit more or I haven't been using it to the best of its ability.
Probably needed for a white cloudy day?

So are you saying that the shots taken in Aperture mode are not recording the effects of the filter . To me they just look same without the filter.Or are you saying that the camera has calculated the filter correctly?

cathy
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
7 Mar 2006 6:43AM
In Aperture Priority mode, set your required aperture then take a reading from the foreground / land without the filter in place and use exposure lock to hold the setting. Compose the shot and then slide the filter into place. This will ensure the ground is exposed correctly and the filter will take care of the sky.

In manual mode; again set your aperture, take a reading from the ground and set your shutter speed to give the correct exposure. Compose the shot and then slide the filter into place.

Manual's easier as once the exposure is set, you don't have to faf around holding exposure lock buttons in. Also, if it doesn't come out quite right, it's a simple matter to adjust the shutter speed to compensate for over or underexposure, leaving your composition set up. (Providing the light hasn't changed that is).

Kris.
7 Mar 2006 6:53AM
Thanks Kris.

That completely answered my question.
Cathy
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
7 Mar 2006 6:55AM
But don't forget that you're going to need more than just the one ND grad.
AlistairF 14 322
7 Mar 2006 7:01AM
Or you could get a variable filter Kiethh
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2006 7:05AM
A variable filter, sounds interesting, what is that then?
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
7 Mar 2006 7:05AM
Yes....what is one.
AlistairF 14 322
7 Mar 2006 7:08AM
Check out the link below

Singh Filters
User_Removed 15 3.3k Russian Federation
7 Mar 2006 7:10AM
That's not a grad though...
AlistairF 14 322
7 Mar 2006 7:12AM
True enough magicboy, should teach me to pay more attention LOL
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2006 7:14AM
Nope not a grad, but if you added two polorisers together would you achieve this. 350$ !!! they are having a laugh.

I thought my cokin Z filters cost a lot.
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
7 Mar 2006 7:14AM
Nifty but as said, it's not a grad.

Cathy I'd recommend adding an ND4 (2stop) grad to your kit. Personally speaking, it's the one I use the most.

Kris.
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
7 Mar 2006 7:17AM
Or a blending filter (121F)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.