AF not working all the time

25 Jun 2019 10:37PM
I have a Sigma 10-20mm lens for a Nikon D5600 however it is behaving very strangely ...

When I connect the lens I can use autofocus, however if I turn the camera off, when I turn it back on I can only use MF and the focus area selector doesn't work. On the screen they just show as greyed out.

If I then take off the lens and reattach it most of the time the AF works again. Occasionally while I'm using it the AF just becomes unavailable though.

Neither the camera or lens have an actual MF/AF switch - it is all controlled on the screen.

The lens is in pretty good condition.

Any ideas?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andybebbs 11 591 1 England
26 Jun 2019 7:31AM
clean the contacts where the lens fits to the camera.
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
26 Jun 2019 9:36AM
Lens might need a firmware update (do a web search for 'Sigma rechip') Sigma often do it free of charge, contact them at sigma-imaging-uk.com.

Best thing for cleaning electrical contacts like those is one of these

250184_1561538189.jpg

sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2019 12:37PM
Personall before using anything abrasive on contacts Id try a little lint free cloth with some lens cleaning solution applied (on the cloth so it is damp and not wet).
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
26 Jun 2019 11:12PM
Invest in a can of Electrolube Switch and Contact cleaner.
Thanks for your help. Lint free cloth and cleaning fluid didn't work but I have a fiberglass pen and contact cleaner on order. I suspect it may need a firmware update as other users are facing the same issue.

Thanks
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
28 Jun 2019 11:09AM
This is going to sound like I am stating the obvious but better safe than sorry, be very careful when cleaning the contacts as there will be debris and depending on direction of the cleaning action and how you position your camera body or your lens the worst kind of dust can end up in the most delicate of places.

For the camera contacts I put camera on tripod angled so it is facing the ground at 90 degrees.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.