AF Point and AF Mode settings in D90 suitable for Bird and Wildlife

Alokchitri 9 61 India
25 Feb 2011 5:03PM
Hello friends

Could you please suggest which AF mode and AF-point settings are most suitable for photographing birds and wildlife, including BIF?

The lens I use is Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 VRII IF-ED. I use it both hand held and on a tripod.

Thank you

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Picola 10 15 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2011 10:37AM
I tried spot metering with the Auto focus on whcih helped when taking pan shots of birds in flight and taking the VR off.

I hardly use a tripod for shooting birds due to them being so mobile unless you know where to bait a subject with some food and know it will come to that particular spot. Then use a tripod.
I'll keep the VR on if the subjects are not flying too much, walking along the beach or grass whilst pecking for food. Same with animals.
I recently started using the wide angle centre point in the focus points and getting more of the bird in focus too. Usually I end up with the tail being out of focus or soft focusing on the face, but getting clearer results with practising on thmetering mode and focus modes. I find it hard to remember to change settings for different scenes. Today I am going out to capture Sand Martins. Not tried this since buying the camera so hoping for some good results as last year I only had a Sony but that did ok considering these birds fly at Mach speed Smile
Lots of sunshine helps too Grin
Alokchitri 9 61 India
27 Mar 2011 1:46PM
Thanks very much...you can see my Flickr page where I have tried some bird photography http://www.flickr.com/photos/sroyc/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.