Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Affinity Photo

saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
28 Jul 2020 8:18PM
I have been a PS user for a few years, and before that, Elements. I have now downloaded Affinity Photo, as it is currently on offer at 50% off to ePz members.
I am literally just on day one of getting into it, with the thought (and hope) of migrating away from Adobe and their subscriptions.

I'd like to hear from others who have used this software for a while, and hear what you like, works well, and not least, what you don't like and could, in your opinion be improved. Any 'hidden' pitfalls and useful tips would be welcome.
Their Youtube tutorial channel is bookmarked and will be explore in depth these coming days...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
28 Jul 2020 9:37PM
I bought Affinity some time back in one of their silly money sales and although I tried to like it, I found myself constantly comparing it to Photoshop; which I've been using since CS2, about (I think) fifteen years ago and really, there is no comparison.
I used to use Serif's PhotoPlus which was comparable to Elements and Affinity feels, to me, like a modern day version of that (which I suppose it is) so if you're OK with Elements, I imagine that you'll be equally happy with Affinity.
This probably sounds a bit unfair and others will thrive on it but to me, having used Photoshop for so long, Affinity seems to be just a bit lacking.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.4k 7 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2020 9:44PM
Good Evening Malc,

I've had Affinity for a few years now and essentially it's got everything PS I as far as I can see (I don't use it to it full potential).
Big plus is since purchase all updates have been applied - 4yrs now.

Biggest issue would be the structure of the menus - some things just don't seem to be in the right place, but you get used to it.
Also, as I remember, some processes might involve a click or two more to complete(but then it's a few years since I used PS).

I find it very stable, can't recall any lockups or fall overs at all.
The HDR and Panoramas are very good even with handheld shots. HDR offers several presets and slider alterations before final apply.
The inpainting fill is reasonably good, I'd say at least as good as PS, but again I think might have a click or two more in the process.

The tutorials on their own site and Youtube are helpful, as you've already noted.

I've not looked back, I didn't use the Adobe online storage or lightroom cataloguing so no issues there.

I went from PS & LR subscription to Affinity & Luminar 4 and I use FastStone for borders or quick edits.

Given a few months it will fill those long Norwegian nights as you wade through the guides.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2020 11:00PM
I picked Affinity up this summer when it was on offer. It does take getting used to, but if I found it ok to learn with and the learning curve was not terribly large. For example I tried the Gimp and could not settle with it, but this I find I can work with. In terms of getting results for what I do I am not seeing a difference in end result from Adobe products to it. What is missing is the photo catalogue type tool but after that I find it good.

I like the RAW develop tool, once you work out where everything is it works well in my view and I can get a long way into the editing I do on the RAW file. I like that the original RAW is left un-tampered so you can go back and re-process the image if you like. One improvement would be to save some form of process file like the main editing mode does.

After that I like the approach of having adjustments by layers and I find I can do curves B&W conversion (it took me a bit to get my head around the B&W conversion but once I did I wondered why do it any other way). Cropping tool where you can set ratios or target sizes plus a handy straightening tool.

HDR and panoramas just work and I find the noise filtering tool very adjustable and easy going. To be honest for what I do it is great, clone tools and dodge plus burn all work as I expected. I suspect for a graphic artist or very serious photo editor it may lack, but for the price I am stunned at how well it works and it still has aspects I have not played with yet.
hobbo Plus
9 1.6k 3 England
29 Jul 2020 6:39AM
Just recently I began to fathom the intricacies of ....AFINITY PHOTO for iPad .... I am slyly getting my very old head around how it works...

It looks as familiar as Photoshop at first he nce, but operates in a very different way.... it has menus, selections and sliders ....many of them tucked away out of sight...

A steep learning curve.... there are many excellent tutorials on YouTube....but if yiu watch them, make sure you choose the right one.... Computer or iPad versions....there are differences.

Hobbo
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
29 Jul 2020 7:43AM

Quote:I tried to like it, I found myself constantly comparing it to Photoshop; which I've been using since CS2, about (I think) fifteen years ago and really, there is no comparison.

Thanks for contributing, Jester, but your answer doesn't really help at all.
You state, "there is no comparison" without explaining why you say that. I asked for exactly that, comparisons - what you find to be good and bad.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
29 Jul 2020 7:50AM

Quote:Biggest issue would be the structure of the menus - some things just don't seem to be in the right place, but you get used to it.

That, I believe, is only to be expected when migrating from something you have used for years. I have started making short notes to help remember where to find certain things.

Quote:Also, as I remember, some processes might involve a click or two more to complete(but then it's a few years since I used PS).

Hehe! Yes, I've already found that out! However, a couple of extra clicks here and there is no big deal, if the total impression of the software is positive.

Quote:I find it very stable, can't recall any lockups or fall overs at all.

That's reassuring!
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
29 Jul 2020 8:02AM

Quote:I like the RAW develop tool, once you work out where everything is it works well in my view and I can get a long way into the editing I do on the RAW file.

Thanks, John.
That's interesting. I find that ACR is not so good at in-depth processing - but that's perhaps more down to me than the limitations of the software, so will be interested to see how much more it can do.

Quote:I suspect for a graphic artist or very serious photo editor it may lack, but for the price I am stunned at how well it works and it still has aspects I have not played with yet.

I find that PS is more and more aimed in the direction of graphic artists and their ilk, and less towards photography. That is one of the reasons for wanting to migrate elsewhere.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
29 Jul 2020 8:07AM

Quote:
Thanks for contributing, Jester, but your answer doesn't really help at all.
You state, "there is no comparison" without explaining why you say that. I asked for exactly that, comparisons - what you find to be good and bad.

Life is too short to list what Photoshop is capable of and Affinity isn't but you already know that.
As I posted earlier, Affinity, by comparison seems, to me, to be lacking, a bit basic.
Like using a point-and-shoot when you're used to a Z7, perhaps.
There's a reason why Photoshop; when you could buy it, cost ten times as much.
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
29 Jul 2020 10:52AM

Quote:I have been a PS user for a few years, and before that, Elements. I have now downloaded Affinity Photo, as it is currently on offer at 50% off to ePz members.
I am literally just on day one of getting into it, with the thought (and hope) of migrating away from Adobe and their subscriptions.

What will you do to replace the LR cataloging? What is the big issue about subscriptions? Many of us pay monthly for things like Broadband, TV channels, Mobile phone, Amazon Prime, Microsoft 365, Which?, membership fees etc.

Dave
dark_lord Plus
16 2.6k 683 England
29 Jul 2020 10:53AM
I've used Affinity for over three years, basically since it first came out foe Windows (Mac was a bit earlier).

Yes the menus are different, as you'd expect going from one piece of software to another. But it's quick to get used to. Photoshop would never have been easy hen you start out. For example, I would still struggle to find something in Photoshop that I know is there but hadn't used in a long time.

Results wise its extremely capable, you should have no worries there.

Another vote for the Inpainting tool (aka healing brush in PS).

If, for example, you want to create a jpg from a tiff you need to 'Export' rather than 'Save As' as the latter saves as a mative afphoto file. But then 'Export' is a well trodden way in a lot of software.

Adjustments are automatically created as Layers so that forces you into good practice.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
29 Jul 2020 3:31PM

Quote:
Quote:I have been a PS user for a few years, and before that, Elements. I have now downloaded Affinity Photo, as it is currently on offer at 50% off to ePz members.

What will you do to replace the LR cataloging? What is the big issue about subscriptions? Many of us pay monthly for things like Broadband, TV channels, Mobile phone, Amazon Prime, Microsoft 365, Which?, membership fees etc.

Dave

Dave, I don't use LR and never have. I have tried very hard to get to like it, but I just can't get on with it.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
29 Jul 2020 3:34PM
Many thanks, Keith...

Quote:If, for example, you want to create a jpg from a tiff you need to 'Export' rather than 'Save As' as the latter saves as a mative afphoto file.

I found that out all by myself - guess howWinkWink
The inpainting tool is very good, and I do like the idea of adjustments being done on layers.
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
29 Jul 2020 5:21PM

Quote:
Dave, I don't use LR and never have. I have tried very hard to get to like it, but I just can't get on with it.

Fine, I now understand. At this low price it is much less than any of the Topaz Plug-ins I have bought. I am tempted to buy it at this price. At my camera club not everyone uses Adobe (almost everyone) but all those who offer advice a training only use Adobe including me. So it might be useful to familiarize myself with Affinity so I can offer advice when needed. I think it is very unlikely that it will become part of my own workflow as I have been using LR/PC for over 15 years now. I have also wondered what I would do if I could no longer use Adobe (no idea why this might happen though).

Dave
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
29 Jul 2020 5:40PM

Quote:
Quote:

Fine, I now understand. At this low price it is much less than any of the Topaz Plug-ins I have bought. I am tempted to buy it at this price. At my camera club not everyone uses Adobe (almost everyone) but all those who offer advice a training only use Adobe including me. So it might be useful to familiarize myself with Affinity so I can offer advice when needed. I think it is very unlikely that it will become part of my own workflow as I have been using LR/PC for over 15 years now. I have also wondered what I would do if I could no longer use Adobe (no idea why this might happen though).

Dave

From what I've seen so far, (and it is very early days) Affinity appears to be the best alternative to PS for someone , like yourself and me, who have PS ingrained in us. Other alternatives I have looked at and tried are too far removed from the PS workflow to be of interest, as I have no wish to engage in a completely new mindset - Affinity seems to be a close cousin of PS in its set-up and workflow.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.