64GB SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC Card Only 12.99!

Affinity Photo

peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2020 5:40PM
I note the comments on Affinity's inpainting tool and I agree with you all; in my view the inpainting tool is way ahead of P/S' spot removal tool so much so that when I need to use the spot removal tool into Affinity the file goes to get sorted.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
30 Jul 2020 4:40PM
After spending today processing all the images I took yesterday (roughly 90) using Affinity, I have decided to go with it from now on. After just one day of processing, it felt good enough for my needs, and is user-friendly. It actually didn't feel all that different to PS...
Have cancelled my Adobe subscription. They wanted to keep my "valued business" and offered 2 free months if I was to reconsider. Thanks, but no thanks.
Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
30 Jul 2020 4:52PM

Quote:After spending today processing all the images I took yesterday (roughly 90) using Affinity, I have decided to go with it from now on. After just one day of processing, it felt good enough for my needs, and is user-friendly. It actually didn't feel all that different to PS...
Have cancelled my Adobe subscription. They wanted to keep my "valued business" and offered 2 free months if I was to reconsider. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm a bit late to the party here Malc, but did you try the free version of Capture 1 for Fuji users?
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
30 Jul 2020 4:57PM

Quote:
Quote:After spending today processing all the images I took yesterday (roughly 90) using Affinity, I have decided to go with it from now on. After just one day of processing, it felt good enough for my needs, and is user-friendly. It actually didn't feel all that different to PS...

I'm a bit late to the party here Malc, but did you try the free version of Capture 1 for Fuji users?

Hi Peter...yes, I did try it. But the thing which attracted me to Affinity was that the set-up was familiar to me as a PS user. I didn't get the same user-friendly 'feedback' when I tried C1.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
30 Jul 2020 8:20PM

Quote:
Quote:But the thing which attracted me to Affinity was that the set-up was familiar to me as a PS user.

Presumably that is precisely why it has been designed that way, to attract PS users ?

That would be a positive marketing ploy

Quote:
Quote:I didn't get the same user-friendly 'feedback' when I tried C1.

I can understand your comment, even after several years using C1 I am still refining my workspace / setting up shortcuts.

Not just me, then!Wink

saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
30 Jul 2020 8:32PM

Quote:
Quote:But the thing which attracted me to Affinity was that the set-up was familiar to me as a PS user.

Presumably that is precisely why it has been designed that way, to attract PS users ?

That would definitely make marketing sense.

Quote:
Quote:I didn't get the same user-friendly 'feedback' when I tried C1.

I can understand your comment, even after several years using C1 I am still refining my workspace / setting up shortcuts.

Not just me, then!Wink

Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
31 Jul 2020 9:32AM

Quote:
From what I've seen so far, (and it is very early days) Affinity appears to be the best alternative to PS for someone , like yourself and me, who have PS ingrained in us. Other alternatives I have looked at and tried are too far removed from the PS workflow to be of interest, as I have no wish to engage in a completely new mindset - Affinity seems to be a close cousin of PS in its set-up and workflow.

Maybe, but I do not need an alternative to PS; I have no problem with paying the monthly fee. However, I have bought Affinity. The price was so low, I thought it worth it just to find out about it. I have already ensured that it opens from LR and my Topaz and Nik Plug-ins are available from Affinity so I will give it a trial over the next few weeks.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
31 Jul 2020 10:32AM

Quote:
Quote:
From what I've seen so far, (and it is very early days) Affinity appears to be the best alternative to PS for someone , like yourself and me, who have PS ingrained in us. Other alternatives I have looked at and tried are too far removed from the PS workflow to be of interest, as I have no wish to engage in a completely new mindset - Affinity seems to be a close cousin of PS in its set-up and workflow.

Maybe, but I do not need an alternative to PS; I have no problem with paying the monthly fee. However, I have bought Affinity. The price was so low, I thought it worth it just to find out about it. I have already ensured that it opens from LR and my Topaz and Nik Plug-ins are available from Affinity so I will give it a trial over the next few weeks.

I see it this way, Dave. Having tried Affinity, and tested out the things I use most in PS, I cannot find anything I need that Affinity does not do. It has all the functions I want to use.
So, for the price of 2 months subscription to Adobe, I have bought comparable software for a one-off payment. (Comparable for my needs, I stress).
A bonus, but not decisive, is that I can keep Bridge and the image downloaded therein, as that is part of the Adobe set-up I like, and it is free to anyone, you don't have to subscribe to use it.
I had no problems with paying the subscription, but when I find something that does the job just as well, I don't see why I should keep paying more than is necessary...
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
31 Jul 2020 10:48AM

Quote:
A bonus, but not decisive, is that I can keep Bridge and the image downloaded therein, as that is part of the Adobe set-up I like, and it is free to anyone, you don't have to subscribe to use it.
I had no problems with paying the subscription, but when I find something that does the job just as well, I don't see why I should keep paying more than is necessary...

But you do not rely on LR as I do. I regularly use searches with LR which can locate obscure photos in fraction of a second whereas the same search in bridge would takes many hours. I used Bridge before I Bought LR about 14 years ago. I am already aware of of some deficiencies in Affinity compared to PS but I will give it a fair test. I have looked at several tutorials and I agree that is it very similar to PS and thus should be easy to use.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.