PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Affinity Photo discount

sitan1 Plus
12 1.2k 1 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2020 11:28AM
Just wanted to say thanks to EPZ for the Affinity Photo discount.
Ive been taking pictures since around 2002 and sometimes I get photo slumps and don't take pictures for a while.
I also have the Adobe creative cloud subscription and even though its only £10pm I feel like I'm throwing money away due to the lack of use when I have these slumps.
I love Photoshop but as I get older and more frugal I'm starting to dislike the subscription model more and more, especially if it sits there not getting used.
So due to the discount on EPZ I bought the Affinity Photo software, I'm going to give it a trial and if I like it and it does the stuff I need I may get rid of Adobe CC and use this one time payment stand-alone photo editor which will also save £120 per year.
If I don't like the Affinity Photo software its only cost me £24 and Ill stay with Adobe, but I will still have the Affinity for life and it will be there if I need it in the future.
How many of you have taken the jump from Adobe to Affinity and do you like it and are you glad you made the jump?

Anyway have a great day
Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

capto Plus
8 6.3k 20 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2020 12:18PM
I've had Affinity for a couple of years now. It's very good and improving. I started with the thought of dropping the Adobe subs, but that is improving all the time too. Affinity is good but for me Photoshop is better, probably because I have used it for so long. As I do use it a lot I'm still paying. I use Affinity sometimes just to keep my hand in. It is plenty good enough for a hobbyist like me, but I am reluctant to make the jump.
IanYorke 7 26 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2020 1:04PM
Yes, I have had Affinity Photo since 2017 and have received free updates for the last 3 years Smile it is great software but I only use a pixel editor for real pixel mangling like object removal, sky replacement etc. The inpainting brush in AP works really well. Use 85% hardness and only paint over what needs removing.

I prefer to do most of my work in a raw converter like Capture One, although that is quite expensive for the initial entry unless you are a lucky Nikon, Fuji or Sony user, then you get the free version or a cheap upgrade to the Pro version. DXO Photolab 3 Elite also works very well. If you don't upgrade the raw converter until you change cameras, less often these days Smile, then software becomes relatively inexpensive. Rental software is certainly good for companies, as is all rental business models, just look at Adobe stock price Smile

It is all about personal choice use whatever software you like but I am not on the Adobe rental plan, even though I used LR from V1 and stuck at PS CS6, although I don't use that now as I have AP.
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2020 1:10PM
Since and during house arrest I have been trying new software: Affinity, Skylum’s Luminar and Aurora and latterly Capture One, they are all excellent kit, they have strengths and weaknesses as does my P/S and L/R, P/S and L/R are like comfortable clothes which I am very familiar with; anybody who has got and are using Affinity won’’t be at all disappointed for example Affinity’’s inpainting brush is streets ahead of P/S’ spot removal tool . Aurora is fabulous for HDR. You wanna replace a sky? Then Luminar is your kiddie.

Adobe has now got some very severe competition and can no longer takes its market dominance for granted.
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2020 1:16PM
I totally agree with “IanYorke” that Capture One is a highly consummate RAW converter, an essentials version is free for certain cameras, I was so delighted with mine I upgraded to Capture One Pro and am enjoying learning it and have found advantages already over ACR and L/R.

I am currently renting Abobe but am uncertain now how long for.
dark_lord Plus
16 2.6k 684 England
25 Jul 2020 2:35PM
I saw Affinity demonstrated at The Photography Show and couldn't wait till it came out (The Windows version took longer than the Mac, initially thinking to give it a try.

Then Adobe came out with their money grab (oh, subscription Wink) and it was no question. Afinity doe have some differences and dye in the wool Photoshoppers may find issues initially nut it's only software to get used to.

I still use Lightroom but less so since I've been using Canon's DPP for my EOS R. I used Capture One many years ago and it's something I have respect for.
Affinity Photo merges seamlessly with Affinity Publisher wich is great for me.
It says something that Affinity as voted best software by Apple.

As Peter says there's penty of good competition.
Given the plethora of apps available at very low cost for all sorts of things including photo editing) the expectation of paying a lot, either subsription or one off) is becoming an anachronism.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
25 Jul 2020 3:20PM
Having been an Elements/PS user since 2010, I am reluctant to change, as I am comfortable with my workflow and the set-up of the combination of Bridge/ACR/PS CC. However, as Affinity was such a bargain price for ePz members, I opened my wallet and have downloaded the software.
I have not yet had time to really start getting to know the way it works, but will use time through the autumn and winter - at present, there's far too many other things that get my attention outdoors during the summer months, so sitting in front of a monitor watching Youtube 'how to' videos has to take a lower priority.
At the price paid, it will be no great tragedy if I find that I prefer to continue with the PS subscription, however, I sincerely hope I find it good enough to do away with the drain on my wallet...Wink
derekd 14 15
25 Jul 2020 4:05PM
I agree about the ripoff of annual rental of software of all kinds. I remember the days when you got office with windows free or at least a limited edition, and my first PS was version 7 which I used for many years and still do on my laptop (upgraded to windows 10). But when I had to buy a new windows 10 desktop my old ps7 would not load, so refusing to pay a subscription I bought PS elements 2020. which does all I need, as for MS office. I now use the free download of Open Office which works and and is compatable with MS office.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
26 Jul 2020 8:45AM

Quote:an essentials version is free for certain cameras, I was so delighted with mine I upgraded to Capture One Pro

Exactly what I did back in Autumn 2014 when Phase One introduced the special deal with Sony.
Used the free version for two days and upgraded to the Pro version and have been paying for the yearly version upgrade since.

A subscription, in effect, perhaps ?

Maybe, but unlike a subscription you do not have to upgrade until you need support for a new camera or a new feature that is a " must have "

Yes, you guessed it every upgrade has a " must have " for me !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.