Today only! Up to 52% off Sony Cameras at Amazon UK!

Affinity photo for windows. Free trial.

capto Plus
8 6.4k 20 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2017 9:45AM
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/new-features/
[trial is right at the bottom of the page]

Just started the 10 day free trial. time will tell if it's a keeper.
chavender Plus
9 467 1 France
11 Feb 2017 11:32AM

Quote:Just started the 10 day free trial. time will tell if it's a keeper.

Me too.
Looks interesting but a bit slow to open RAW files on my old PC.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
11 Feb 2017 7:43PM

Quote:Looks interesting but a bit slow to open RAW files on my old PC.

But would that not be the case for any software, not just Affinity ?
Jestertheclown 11 8.3k 253 England
11 Feb 2017 8:00PM
I've just tried a Nef. on here and it does take a while. Far longer than Capture One or Lightroom.
Making the necessary adjustments was hard work too.
I suppose it would get easier with practice but I'm just getting into Capture One, so I don't need to have to learn yet another process; although having said that, as it stands, Affinity's never going to take the place of Capture One or Lightroom.
I don't think that it's the Photoshop replacement that was hoped for either, although It might wipe the floor with Elements.

chavender Plus
9 467 1 France
12 Feb 2017 12:36AM

Quote:But would that not be the case for any software, not just Affinity ?

It takes a lot longer to open a NEF file than Lightroom 6 which runs nicely on my (oldish) PC..
I agree with Bren that it seems more capable than Elements.
So far, I prefer Lightroom.
CTee 13 131 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2017 10:39AM

Quote:So far, I prefer Lightroom.

but lightroom and affinity photo are two completely different things !! you should be comparing with photoshop or ps elements! Then look at the price, in which case for a lot of people the parts of PS which they use for photo editing Affinity would possibly be a far more cost effective product.
gaelldew 13 377 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2017 11:28AM
I downloaded it and up to now only had a couple of goes, but at the moment need much more to get me away from Photoshop.
FabioKeiner 7 111 Austria
12 Feb 2017 11:35AM
far better than affinity (or photoshop crap):
GIMP
it's for free.
chavender Plus
9 467 1 France
12 Feb 2017 12:11PM

Quote:far better than affinity (or photoshop crap):

Could you explain to me Why Gimp is better (other than the price)?
I assume that you are familiar with all aspects of Affinity and photoshop in order to make such a sweeping statement.
I have used gimp in the past and found it OK but a bit "clunky" and not too refined. I would appreciate your views on why it is better Smile
chavender Plus
9 467 1 France
12 Feb 2017 12:26PM

Quote:but lightroom and affinity photo are two completely different things !!

Agreed, but I was commenting on the speed of opening a raw file.
I rarely use Photoshop so tend to evaluate as a raw editor. Smile
Jestertheclown 11 8.3k 253 England
12 Feb 2017 12:54PM

Quote:
Could you explain to me Why Gimp is better (other than the price)?

The price is the only thing that GIMP has in its favour.

Anyone who's actually used Photoshop, or any decent editor, for that matter, will know that.

arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2017 1:39PM
I would be interested to know what the max(workable/saveable) file size is with Affinity?
saltireblue Plus
10 11.0k 66 Norway
12 Feb 2017 2:08PM

GIMP
it's for free.

A complete waste of time writing such posts without explaining exactly why you have that opinion, based upon your own personal comparisons of the software involved.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
12 Feb 2017 2:30PM

Quote:
GIMP
it's for free.

A complete waste of time writing such posts without explaining exactly why you have that opinion, based upon your own personal comparisons of the software involved.

Indeed, unless you can show that you have good use of all three and can give constructive reasons behind that statement it is a complete waste of forum time... I have all three of the apps mentioned and GIMP comes nowhere near to the other two both in ease of use, appearance and in practical use, I find the interface rather clunky and clumsy when compared to both PS and Affinity.

Affinity definitely has a future particularly if they can maintain their pricing, as has been stated it is a little slow when working a raw file, (I normally use Lightroom as it maintains my collection as a DAM) but it is important that this is only v1.5 and I am sure improvements will be made...
georgehopkins 12 112 England
12 Feb 2017 2:56PM
I,ve been using Affinity for over a year now and it replaces Photoshop Elements. Usually process my raw files in Lightroom then export to Affinity for final processing adjustments. Affinity is a lot of software program for very little outlay costs.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.