50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Alamy payments

rossd 17 1.1k England
14 Nov 2007 8:53PM
I was pleasantly surprised recently when I discovered that I had made a sale (royalty free) on Alamy. I was surprised because Iíve only got 53 images on the site and my recent submission of 100 + images was rejected (yes Ėevery image!!). Anyway, after deductions for commission etc. I was owed $247. I now find however that Alamy only pay out on amounts over $250. So, to get the payment I will have to wait until I make another sale (which could be some time!!) or cancel my contract.

To be honest I never noticed that particular clause in the T&Cís so I can only blame myself. But it does seem unreasonable to withhold payment; after all even if there are only 100 other togs in the same position, Alamy have approx. $25,000 sitting in the bank.

Anyone else in the same position?
PP 19 222 England
14 Nov 2007 9:40PM
There are probably lots of other people in this position, I've certainly been there myself! If you accept the terms and conditions when you apply without reading them first, you can't really complain!
richard00 14 504 1
14 Nov 2007 9:56PM
Alamy do clearly state that if one image isn't up to scratch then they bin them all [guess they think if ones bad they are all the same] - why adding them in smaller batches is better, although rather slow as they take weeks to assess.
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
14 Nov 2007 10:49PM
Look on the bright side. At present the US Dollar is so weak that your payout would be less than £125. By waiting until the dollar strengthens relative to the pound, your payout will be worth more in sterling terms.

You might be better off hoping that the next sale is not for some time ! Wink
peter_davey 15 1.4k England
14 Nov 2007 10:52PM
that's Alamy for you - you need to read all the Ts and Cs carefully and allow fro this in your busienss plan.

Even when you have $250 of sales you have to wait for Cleared funds which can be 180 days on foriegn sales - so don't expect anything this year.

When choosing a stock library you need to build these things into your busines plan.

As for QC if you get 1 or 2 bad shots they now bin the lot - a while back they'd bin the two and ask you to submit again and then let the rest through - now this is not the case.

Best read the Froum and Blog now you're a member.
witheye 15 190
15 Nov 2007 4:12AM
if you want your money.
why dont you buy one of your own photos
which would take the amount over the
250 mark.
also you could see what sort of service
they offer the buyers.
peter_davey 15 1.4k England
15 Nov 2007 7:48AM
and that would cost you 60% of the sale price
rossd 17 1.1k England
15 Nov 2007 8:55PM

Quote:You might be better off hoping that the next sale is not for some time !

LOL - OK I'm really praying that I don't have another sale for some time !!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.