Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

All images lost

bppowell 19 2.2k 2 England
20 Feb 2005 12:30PM
I had a bit of a disaster this afternoon so I thought I would put it up on here so that others are for warned.

Spent a pleasant hour shooting the birds through my kitchen window. I filled a card so thought I would download the images using Olympus studio as I had shot all the images in RAW format.

One of the images was out of focus so to save transfer time I decided to delete it from the card before transferring the others. So I highlighted the one that was out of focus and pressed delete, the next thing I know the card had been wiped.

No problem I thought, I will just use Image Recall and recover the images, wrong again, none of the photo recovery tools (I have 4 of them) will recover images taken in the cameras RAW format.

So lesson learnt, I will always make sure I copy all images to the computer before I attempt any action from now on.

Barry
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
20 Feb 2005 12:36PM
Barry,

Have you got PC Inspector FIle Recovery?

I have several myself, just say if you need any of them.
You can email me at dougvmail-epz@yahoo dot co dot uk

That is a throw awat email address to intercetpt spam.

I am sure they are not lost.
Just waiting to be rediscovered.

Doug
20 Feb 2005 12:49PM
Doug, thanks for the offer but PC Image Inspector was one of the ones I tried, along with, Don't Panic(Image Recall 2),Photo Recovery, Digital image Recovery and Zero Assumption Image Recovery, not one of them worked.

It seems they do not recognise RAW, in this case Olympus's *.orf file as an image format.

I also realise that I cannot count that is 5 programs not 4.

Barry
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
20 Feb 2005 1:03PM
Barry,

I actually meant PC Inspector FIle Recovery, not PC Inspector Smart Recovery.
They are two different programmes.

I got loads of file recovery progs from our IT department at work when I recently lost a hard disk, so if I have anything that may be of use you are welcome to it.

If you want to send me a *.orf file I can delete it and see if I have anything that will detect it again.

Doug
20 Feb 2005 1:27PM
Thanks Doug, I will try to email an *.orf file but I am not sure it will get through, it is probably to large.

Before I do though will you let me know if you are on dial up or broadband, if dial up it is not a good idea me sending you the file(just over 13M).

Also I am off to Anglesey for 4 days early tomorrow and may not get access to a computer for a while so do not think I am ignorant if I do not reply.

Barry
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
20 Feb 2005 2:37PM
OK Barry.

Yes I am on Broadband.

I'll look out for it.

I have my ISP block all attachments, but I log in everyday to see what they have stopped and then accept the stuff that isn't spam.

Doug
21 Feb 2005 12:27AM
Doug,
Have sent the image, it took a long time to send, hope you have better luck than me in recovering it.

I am now off for a few days relaxation and photography, hope to find an Internet cafe around Wednesday.

Barry
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
21 Feb 2005 4:31AM
Barry,

I have received the file and had some success.
Have sent you 2 progs via email to try.
Good Luck!

Enjoy your break.
Unfortunately I have a day off today, but I am preparing for my Year End Review tomorrow, so it's like being at work...

Cheers,

Doug
tomriley 17 4 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2005 8:43AM
hiya mate... i had the same problem in a way... a friend of mine passed on and i knew i had photographed him last october.. i tried a system restore but that didn't work so went into my local camera shop and they gave me image rescue 2.. u could select raw or jpeg restore images and low and behold it worked even though i had formatted the card several times.
good luck. tom riley.
p.s email me at tomriley33@tiscali.co.uk and i will send it to you.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.