50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Almost POTW time and very few new PAs

User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2009 9:22AM
I know we shouldn't pick for the sake of it (said so myself in the pst) but I just wanted to make sure everyone has been going through the Pending PAs and Pending HCs as there doesn't seem to be much movement in either HCs or PAs.

Thought I'd mention it now we have new team members voting (I would have expected something to be happening because of this)

Smile
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Jan 2009 10:02AM
Been a busy week for me, so only just getting a good look around but I have to say that nothing is rocking my boat in the Pending PA's. There is what is probably the best from the recent spate of limestone photo's but it's just too tight on the left to make it a PA.

Looks like a poor week allround.
25 Jan 2009 10:16AM
Oh well - I am sure some of the other judges will hopefully disagree Grin
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
25 Jan 2009 11:16AM
I've just had a look through the three galleries and I cant add anything. The thumbnails are very impressive though, seems like the panel are now doing a grand job of filtering through. I hope some of the team feel some of the images are worthy of their HC PA votes.

It would be a shame that all these images are not seen. Does everyone think it's a good idea to have an option for members to view shortlisted pics for a given week? And maybe a tag that says it was shortlisted?
25 Jan 2009 11:20AM
Good to hear from you Pete and I sincerely hope all is progressing well with you.

I myself wondered about members seeing those that had been short-listed or perhaps a 'tag' on the members photo to say it had been short-listed. In fact, I mentioned this to Tricia a week or so ago.

My main concern was that it might cause some aggravation in the forums on the lines of "why didn't this get an HC/PA when this one did - was it favouritism" etc etc (it has been known to happen Wink)
Diana 14 2.0k 19 Netherlands
25 Jan 2009 12:44PM
HI Pete, hope you are feeling a bit better and taking the rest you need... I am very pleased to be on trial here ....when user awards are being considered members do often say "you have been shortlisted" but maybe you could put this idea on the back burner for a while ...as Barrie says ...the forums could go wild ....and that is not what you need at present ...on the other hand it could have a pending considerattion tag till the end of the week..Personally I would find that quite exciting if it was my image ... I would know I was on the right track.....if I wanted a PA of course Wink and I think even though some say they dont ......they do really ...but it could cause a lot of fuss too
25 Jan 2009 12:49PM
As one of the newbies, I'm very impressed with the award system and in response to Pete and Barrie, I feel it would be good to let the membership know how much time and thought goes into this process.

Perhaps the way to do that is to either show the membership the short listed shots or to provide some sort of incentive : i.e. perhaps sending them a message to say that their photo has been shortlisted with a tag visible to the membership, maybe something as simple as wee button at the end of the row. Or maybe a complimentary extra single upload.

Marketing is the magic word methinks; some careful promotion and a nifty little short-list tag might just be a good way to 'celebrate' the system (this would probably need to arrive as one of the PA team votes it into the pending HC gallery).

Personally, I don't think there should be a Pending gallery as that might inflame the complainers, as Barry suggests. IMHO adding another gallery would dilute the effect of the two we already have.

Hey ho, I'm new, and may be speaking from the third rock........and it's Sunday lunch time so I could just be babbling...... helen
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2009 2:48PM

Quote:Does everyone think it's a good idea to have an option for members to view shortlisted pics for a given week? And maybe a tag that says it was shortlisted?

At the moment I think we should hold off on making any public changes. I think the system should run for a month without any changes, before we start to consider any publicity of what is happening.
25 Jan 2009 3:41PM
I agree we need some stability particularly as are there still a few problems (see my other post) and whilst the new team members get to grips with everything.

In still think in any event, that letting people know they have been short-listed is fraught with danger as if that it will inevitably result in questions as to why they didn't get an award.

It was bad enough for Pete when he alone awarded ECs - this will give ammunition to a few to try and instil a riot Smile
25 Jan 2009 4:02PM
Excuse the typos above.. difficult to type with a digestive biccie in my hand Smile
fauxtography 15 6.6k 36
25 Jan 2009 5:24PM
As the shortlisters are kept anonymous, it is best to keep the shortlisting the same otherwise, you'll end up with forum discussions dragging out responses from the shortlisters as to why they are doing what they are doing and that might not be so good... I agree with Barrie and Chris, at least let the system get bedded in and accepted before changes like that are made.

Hope you are doing ok Pete Smile

There's nothing in the PAs that is really wanting me to click them at the moment though...
25 Jan 2009 5:29PM
Don't forget guys (in case you didn't know) that just because something is pending PA, you can still go into it and nominate it for an HC if you like it but not enough for a PA Smile
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2009 9:16PM
Pete .... step away from the computer!!!

seriously, I'm glad you're feeling well enough to pop in,

regards
Paul
Tricia 15 325 Ireland
26 Jan 2009 9:29AM

Quote:In still think in any event, that letting people know they have been short-listed is fraught with danger as if that it will inevitably result in questions as to why they didn't get an award.

I totally agree, we need this to run for a few weeks first then consider adding options to it. Other upgrades will be added over time to help things flow ( I.T have plans afoot) but for the moment lets just deal with the task at hand.
If you have a suggestion please email support(at)ephotzine and they will be added to the upgrade.

Tricia
fauxtography 15 6.6k 36
26 Jan 2009 10:45AM
I thought that POTW was picked from the PAs not HCs? Someone will pick up on that pretty quick i'd think.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.