Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Almost POTW time and very few new PAs

conrad 16 10.9k 116
26 Jan 2009 11:00AM

Quote:I thought that POTW was picked from the PAs not HCs? Someone will pick up on that pretty quick i'd think.

I seem to remember that there was some discussion about that quite some time ago, and then someone mentioned that being able to pick an HC as POTW was necessary sometimes because there weren't EC awards every week (same might apply now to PA), and that seemed like a good idea to everyone.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Jan 2009 11:04AM
There were three PA's to choose from, Conrad.

However, I seem to remember that the rules were changed some time ago, whereby Pete could choose POTW from wherever he chose although it was only implemented once when the image with most votes from that week got POTW...might have been a landscape from Theresa_H.

I could be wrong.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
26 Jan 2009 11:12AM

Quote:There were three PA's to choose from, Conrad.

Ah, okay. That should have been enough to choose a POTW from.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 11:13AM
Not if Pete didn't like them Wink
fauxtography 15 6.6k 36
26 Jan 2009 11:18AM
Fair enough Smile
conrad 16 10.9k 116
26 Jan 2009 11:36AM
Ouch, so that doesn't say much good about the PA awards when Pete chooses an HC image as POTW...

From now on I'll be paying closer attention to what kind of image gets picked as POTW! Wink
26 Jan 2009 11:38AM
Personal choice which is what it's all about. I don't agree with everyone's HC/PA choices likewise not everyone will agree with mine but on balance, a team of people selecting from the pool will hopefully produce a selection that will keep most people happy.

I like this week's POTW which is why I gave it an award (an HC nomination). I just happened to think it wasn't PA material bearing in mind what had been chosen for PAs/Pending PAs Smile

Whilst here - welcome to the 3 new team members Smile
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
26 Jan 2009 1:22PM
i also gave the other hc nom to that image it really stood out, and will make a great canvas print for the winner
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 4:59PM
Personally I have looked at the shortlist picked by the new bunch and there are some nice images in there but not that many that I'd give a PA to, yet there have been some this week that I really liked but could not nominate for an award because for some reason I no longer have the ability to, I have to wait for the new guys to shortlist it for me.

I find the shortlist helpful for browsing quickly when I am really busy but it is only what others deem to be the best of the bunch.
I would like this shortlist kept but I would also like the ability to browse the galleries back so I can add my own selections to the shortlist as well.
fauxtography 15 6.6k 36
26 Jan 2009 5:03PM

Quote:yet there have been some this week that I really liked but could not nominate for an award because for some reason I no longer have the ability to, I have to wait for the new guys to shortlist it for me.

Do you not have the nominate for PA/HC buttons at the bottom of the page when browsing the gallery normally?
26 Jan 2009 5:03PM

Quote:there have been some this week that I really liked but could not nominate for an award because for some reason I no longer have the ability to, I have to wait for the new guys to shortlist it for me

Don't understand Sam - why can't you nominate photos?
26 Jan 2009 5:06PM
I don't know why.
Maybe that's one for the technical team.
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 5:20PM
Hi Sam,

Just had a quick jump into your account and everything appears to be fine. I was able to see the buttons to nominate on the latest photo uploaded.

You don't have to wait for a photo to be shortlisted by the shortliest team if you don't want to. As long as you are logged in, all you have to do is scroll down to the photo and press the appropriate button (in the red box). This will place the nomination for the specific award.
G73photography 14 417 15 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 6:18PM
its probably the wrong thread , but i was just thinking after looking at the amount of hc/pa noms for the given award, not sure how many had control previous, but if theres more members given the vote, would that make it easier to achive the awards, what i mean is if thers say.... 5 people who can give te awards and require 2 votes for a hc, it would be easier to achive a hc if there were,,,, 15 members who had the vote, or doesn`t it work like that ?
26 Jan 2009 6:22PM
Or just reduce the votes needed and maybe go back to how it wsa where individuals have the ability to award HC's on their own. We are , after all supposed to be a bunch of reasonably decent pros invited to take part in this on the quality of our work.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.