Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Alternatives to Media Player?

BernieS 12 243 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2010 3:42PM
Windows Media Player 12 has suddenly stopped working on this machine. Unfortunately it is an integral part of Windows 7, and so not available as a separate download.

I don't particularly want to re-install Windows just to get it back, so can anyone recommend a good alternative?

Thanks,

Bernie
30 Nov 2010 3:54PM
VLC Media player
Never struggles with CODECs
I used to have a whole range of rubbish cluttering up my PC (Quicktime, etc) - VLC does the lot.
And it's free.

If it's audio you are after - look no further than Media Monkey.
theorderingone 17 2.4k
30 Nov 2010 3:54PM
For music or video?

If it's for music, I use foobar2000. If you have a good sound card, it's possible to get much clearer sound with foobar than Windows media player.

Also for music, Spotify is great for streaming music legally.

For video, I'm sure others will be much more clued up on what's good and what's not than myself. I've used Miro and Winamp before, but don't normally watch that much video on my computer.

I hope this helps
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
30 Nov 2010 3:59PM
Try RealMedia player, or Quicktime and dare I say iTunes. But I would try to find why it had stopped working. Have you installed anything recently that has created a corrupt file? If so try using a restore point.

As a side point I thought Microsoft wasn't supposed to make WM player an integral part of windows, I thought it contraviened EU law?
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
30 Nov 2010 4:04PM
As Nick has said, I'd be wanting to know why it's stopped working.

I'd avoid Real Player. It's become a dinosaur, Quick time seems to want to take over your computer and I've never really worked out how iTunes works.

I'm with Duncan in recommending VLC. It does everything I need it to and costs nothing.

Jester.
GPTek 14 460 1 England
30 Nov 2010 6:06PM

Quote:Windows Media Player 12 has suddenly stopped working on this machine. Unfortunately it is an integral part of Windows 7, and so not available as a separate download.

I don't particularly want to re-install Windows just to get it back, so can anyone recommend a good alternative?

Thanks,

Bernie

Have you checked the file associations?? Sorry if you've already checked Smile

Goto the control panel > Default Programs > Set Default Programs

Select Windows Media Player and you should see something like this

ctrl.jpg

What type of file were you trying to open using media player?

Goto to Choose Defaults for this program and select the appropriate file type(s) you need.

Save and then OK and close the window.

Check that your files work ok.

HTH

Geoff
MrGoatsmilk 12 1.5k England
30 Nov 2010 6:43PM
Another vote for VLC player
devlin 10 653 39 India
30 Nov 2010 6:50PM
either VLC or winamp would be my choice...
WilliamRoar 13 188 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2010 8:57PM
VLC - a.k.a "The traffic cone"
1 Dec 2010 7:04AM
Thanks Folks,

It wasn't anything as simple as File Association - it happened after a crash which resulted in a LOT of disk & file checking & correction on restart. It told me that everything was OK when it finished, but clearly it wasn't - I wonder what other problems are waiting to make themselves known?? Sad

Downloaded & installed VLC - seems to be just the job - thanks again for the advice.

Bernie
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2010 8:08AM
Yet another vote for VLC.
mohikan22 Plus
17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2010 8:23AM
VLC for me too. plays everything i need.
rhousham 14 435 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2010 3:36PM
They renamed 12 to Media Feature Pack try here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player
Richard
1 Dec 2010 5:40PM
That download is "For Windows 7 N or KN editions". It doesn't appear to be available for other versions.

Not too worry, VLC is doing a pretty reasonable job so far.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.