Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Am I being greedy

NathanS 16 88 England
24 Jun 2008 1:00PM
Hi Andy

Thanks for starting this interesting threat. These are the sort of questions that make reading EpZ interesting and thought provoking.

I've just completed a city and guilds part-time photography course (one evening a week for a year). I was getting dispondent about not getting what I considered a high enough ratio of good images. My tutor, who does some press work, said that there is an old addage that if you got 3 or 4 good shots out of a 36 film you were doing well. It made me feel a lot better to know that even the pros consider about 10% sucess rate OK.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2008 2:43PM
One additional thought on "Keepers" for me is, when to decide what to keep.

Some of my most successful pictures (commercially, competition based and viewed here) have originally been close to going in the bin and its only after I have come back a few weeks later I have seen that there is something in the shots that I missed on first viewing.

So, unless the shots is clearly in the "NBG" rating I hang on to them and make a habit of only editing them out a few weeks later.

As Cheryl said, it can be embarassing to look back at some of your old shots you thought were good (maybe why I keep so many in my PF - as reminder?)
Andysnapper 12 109 25 England
24 Jun 2008 2:59PM
I'm glad I asked the question, what good selection of views and ideas. Even though it was only 3 weeks ago i've already noticed an improvement in my ratio of keepers due to a couple of evening courses with a pro and the help from this forum. I've also decided to do an evening course in September (similar to NathanS) and hopefully this will improve the ratio a bit more. Buying Elements 6 and learning a bit more about that has also helped.
So thanks again to all who contributed to making me a less depressed tog.

Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.