Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Amazingly fast new mirrorless

Chris_L 3 3.8k United Kingdom
19 Apr 2017 10:51PM
Recently officially confirmed this is Sony's A9 https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/19/15356680/new-sony-a9-mirrorless-camera-announced-specs-price-release-date

The specs are amazing. Due to design changes there's no rolling shutter, no blackout. It's going to be incredible for sports shooters, but will it be a game changer for wildlife?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

19 Apr 2017 10:53PM
This is some of the brand new technology that the A9 brings to digital photography
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q-nzcf8Pkw

joshwa Plus
6 816 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2017 11:00PM
Been shooting with it today - it's as impressive as it sounds Smile
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-alpha-a9-hands-on-preview-30857
19 Apr 2017 11:03PM
Dual card slots and a LAN port, think both are firsts for Sony, are they targeting this at paparazzi, news and sports photographers who currently shoot Canikon?

It might even tempt wedding photographers away from the A7R series - I'm very, very pleased with the shots I've gotten from my Sony stuff but I'd worry if I was shooting an important event with only one card slot and less than stellar battery life.

Feature Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILisOOe3iLs

19 Apr 2017 11:06PM
Just saw your hands on preview Josh, looks good, can't wait for full review.

Any news on the new 100 to 400 lens?
JackAllTog Plus
8 4.6k 58 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2017 11:43PM
Wow, No rolling shutter - that's some quick electronics.

What always puzzles me is why a camera like this needs a mechanical shutter as well as the electronic one it uses for the 20fps style shots.

Sony just seem to get better and better and also seem to have super high ISO too. Whats the catch?
20 Apr 2017 12:11AM
The catch is native E mount lenses are generally more expensive, there are no long primes. I think Zeiss are bringing out a 135 Batis. If it's as good as the 25 and 85 it will be phenomenal but pricey.

There's no 200, 300 or 400 prime. the 100 to 400 zoom looks good on paper but is expensive.

You can adapt Canon glass to Sony very successfully, including AF, which makes it a bit easier for people who already own a lot of Canon lenses.
20 Apr 2017 8:49AM

Quote:Any news on the new 100 to 400 lens?

Here you go: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-expands-flagship-g-master-lens-series-with-100-400mm-lens--30860

Available from July for around 2500.
LenShepherd 9 3.3k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2017 7:20AM
By the end of this year for some-one not needing 300 f2.8, 400 f2.8 etc there should be a new system to rival and sometimes beat high end Nikon and Canon.
Until street discounts work through the price point for the body and 100-400 is about 7,000 alone so maybe 12,000 for a "system" outfit.
It will initially be outside the price range of many photographers.
There seems a wide consensus that although 5 stops stabilisation is mentioned, in camera systems have less than 5 stops with longer lenses. The Nikon in camera long lenses with 4.5 stops VR may have an advantage.
Others can comment on Canon IS performance.
JJGEE 12 7.0k 18 England
21 Apr 2017 7:37AM

Quote:Until street discounts work through the price point for the body....

When the Sony A99II came out the " street discount " at my local camera shop was, and still is, 1p, so do not hold your breath !
LenShepherd 9 3.3k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2017 7:58AM

Quote:When the Sony A99II came out the "street discount " at my local camera shop was, and still is, 1p, so do not hold your breath !

Street discounts are rarely available on day one of launch and Nikon specific it is still a challenge to get more than 5% of a D500 list price a year after launch, though good street discounts are available on the D800 and D7200.
How long the time scale is between negligible discount and 15% depends in part on the success of a product and what other deals are being offered such as enhanced part exchange packages.
With the Sony frequent body upgrades "old model" deals on older bodies are available, a bit like the Nikon D7200.
ChrisV Plus
10 1.7k 26 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2017 10:28AM
I haven't looked very closely since these are out of my price bracket, but do the longer native Sony E mount lenses have OiS? As suggested by recent developments in the MFT arena, the suggestion is that IBIS is very effective at wider AoV, but once rather longer zooms are involved, optical stabilisation is the way to go. {Which is why the Oly 300 prime has it].

This system is now looking very good indeed now some of the lingering issues around the 7 series have been addressed and with adapters making [fast] autofocus and EXIF available from Canon glass viable, lens range shouldn't really be a barrier either - if that is the OiS works with the telephotos. Anyone any idea if this is the case? I imagine it would be, but I don't know enough about how the technology works to be certain. Anyone know?
21 Apr 2017 10:49AM

Quote:deals on older bodies are available
That's how I got sucked in.

I saw the A7R, a 36mp full frame sensor (same sensor as Nikon D800), no AA filter, sealed magnesium alloy body, etc etc. Basically a three grand class of camera. Going for 800 quid.

250184_1492768145.jpg

A year later and I've spent my entire camera budget, plus the rest, on Sony bodies and decent lenses.

I'm taking shots hand-held (like these monos in my pf) and getting fantastic detail.

Shooting low light on tripod (shots below) I find that I get excellent dynamic range.

I'm not saying that Sony's system betters anyone else's, but you can get results as good as any.

I think Len is right about them becoming the third force, serious rivals to Nikon and Canon.

22 Apr 2017 12:28AM
@ChrisV my Batis 85 has OIS and my 70 to 200 has OIS. I can confirm that it works very well in both cases.

Other lenses of note are listed here

As for using Canon lenses with IS reports suggest it works as you would expect it too.

ChrisV Plus
10 1.7k 26 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2017 2:53PM
@Chris_L Been reading a bit more about this camera. I think it's the most interesting release in a long time in terms of ILCs, at least. It seems with adapted lenses the eye AF doesn't work, and far more importantly for long lenses, C-AF doesn't either [or is at least significantly degraded].

Unfortunately that means one of the headline features for sports togs is significantly compromised. While I think that's a minority of pros, it is a very significant, very visible minority. It may be a niche area, but I do think it's something Sony will need to address in the not distant future if it really wants to make significant inroads into the CaNikon duopoly in the pro market.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest as I don't need huge lenses, 20fps or stellar C-AF. It's also not going to matter to more general photo journalists or wedding photographers. But Sony does need to break through the herd mentality and they're obviously pitching for that. I think they've made a really good start and potentially have a killer system - a bit more work to do yet though...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.