Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Americans are NOT stupid

gcarth Plus
17 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2017 9:04PM

Quote:Under the Obama regime, people with any form of mental illness or disability have been subject to an enhanced background and mental fitness check before they're allowed to buy firearms. Chump is about to scrap this very sensible law.
I think all POTUS' should have enhanced background and mental fitness checks.Wink
FDR was one of the few presidents that I believe was anywhere near fit for purpose.
triumphv8 13 475 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2017 9:13PM

Quote:Chump is about to scrap this very sensible law.

Quote:The American Civil Liberties Union agreed, telling lawmakers that a disability should not constitute grounds for the automatic denial of any right or privilege, including gun ownership.

Quote:advocates for the disabled supported the repeal effort.

The ACLU was one of the first orgs to jump in and oppose the visa scrapping, so they certainly aren't pro-Trump, seems strange that the liberals are using them to defend one position, but not the other - bit like what they've done with Soros. - One minute he's filthy greedy currency manipulator, the next he's a heros for saying Trump won't last.

And if it was any other right then surely you'd agree - however much sense this one actually made.

The point is whether you are considered mentally ill by law - or by a wide sweeping rule that was intended to cover something different.

Doesn't mean I agree with nut-job Trump, but I hate selective fact, big baby liberals more.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2017 9:22PM

Quote:but I hate selective fact, big baby liberals more.

The "Truth" is variable and only my current version of it is true

It is beginning to feel as if the "Ministry of Truth" is alive and well and living in media world
gcarth Plus
17 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2017 10:22PM

Quote:It is beginning to feel as if the "Ministry of Truth" is alive and well and living in media world
Yes, we're living in the "post-truth" period, and "post-truth" is a new entry in the dictionary apparently.Sad
I think the media has actually been providing "post-truth" for a long time now - many of us haven't realised.
There's nothing new in all this: As you say, George Orwell's Ministry of "Truth" is alive and kicking ("1984", of course, was written in 1948 - all those years ago).

Quote:but I hate selective fact, big baby liberals more

Well, yes but as Isaac Newton would say, "To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction". So if you get big bullying right wing bigots you will get those big baby liberals. It has always been that way.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
5 Feb 2017 10:25PM
Brian, if you read my earlier posts, you may see I spoke of setting my meter depending upon the politics of the person speaking. One thing, about the only thing after the past 6 or 8 months, that I like about CNN, is that they will post which party or candidate the speaker supports. That in and of itself governs for me how much weight I give the person's words. This came about for me over almost 18 months of watching the pundits and "expert" panels CNN have on their programs daily. At first, I supported Hillary, not that I had any liberal leanings, but because I figured with her experience she was by far the best for the job. What I couldn't understand was why the host of these programs would never let a supporter of Trump ( William, that's T R U M P), finish what they were saying, or they were screamed over by the Clinton supporters, they never had a chance. It didn't take long to see that the media was backing Hillary. It is all a part of corporate America, who did not want anyone in there who would rock the boat. Hillary campaigned on a ticket where she promised to continue Obama's path, which became obvious was to do nothing. I was seeing the same on our Canadian networks, especially our "government funded" CBC. The difference between Canada and the US in that respect is that the Americans don't even try to hide it. I don't have a vote, but I do have opinions. Our government is a joke, and it will be proven over the next couple years. Trump is new at his job, but once he gets all of his own people in place, he'll do ok. I think he may have been too impatient, wanting to show that he would carry through on his promises; he should have waited till he had his cabinet in place, and his own heads of departments in the bureaucracy. Hillary would have been a disaster for the few middle class that are left in the US after 8 years of Obama.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2017 10:31PM
you would recognise the same situation in the UK Denny, the BEEB screens its discussion groups to get the responses it wants and becomes strangely interested in the smallest detail of foreign news whenever there is good financial or business news that contradicts their "Experts" negative predictions pre-referendum

I've taken to watching programmes like Aljazeera news, NHK news and even Euronews to get a more balanced view of the world

5 Feb 2017 10:38PM
I think the recent election has exposed the media for what it is. I have a subscription to over 150 magazines on my ipad, and there are many articles in them about the dire situation the media is in with Twitter, Facebook, etc. However, from what I've seen lately, things a far worse than they realise. I'd much rather watch Jamie Oliver whip up a pan of bubble and squeak.
6 Feb 2017 7:56AM
The media does need to get its act together I agree. One particular online news org changes its headline to suit its aim and generate the type of comments that fit its agenda - if people actually read the article they would see if rarely matches the headline.

I have the app for Aljazeera on my phone and look at that more than I do the BBC.

i couldnt watch alot of the American news networks during the election, too much shouting - and that was was both 'sides'. One trick that Fox pull is to use a delay when they dont have a guest in the studio, so they cant constantly say "answer the question", before that question has even reached the recipient.

There is a programme on about 'Fake News' tonight, I might watch it but I doubt it will get to the real issues.

I will judge Trump on his actions and what he says, contrary to what KellyAnne Conway wants us to do. There are a couple of his EOs that I'm not too clear about the consequences of yet and I need to looik into those further but the polluting rivers, gag order, gun background checks, giving Bannon a seat on the security council while demoting generals , removing sanctions from the FSB and the muslim ban are far from sane imho. You say he has clever people working for him, that he is a clever man - so what if this muslim ban was intentionally badly done?

Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
6 Feb 2017 9:40AM
29817_1486374039.jpg
gcarth Plus
17 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 10:28AM
The best part of "Private Eye" is the cover. They're always funny and sharp but this is a classic!
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 6:18PM
Fake News specials all tonight on C4, the one about the paparazzi guy looks like it might be worth a watch
6 Feb 2017 9:28PM

Quote:I will judge Trump on his actions and what he says, contrary to what KellyAnne Conway wants us to do. There are a couple of his EOs that I'm not too clear about the consequences of yet and I need to looik into those further but the polluting rivers, gag order, gun background checks, giving Bannon a seat on the security council while demoting generals , removing sanctions from the FSB and the muslim ban are far from sane imho. You say he has clever people working for him, that he is a clever man - so what if this muslim ban was intentionally badly done?

With any of this, one has to consider the sources. Telling part of the truth with the intention of misleading the public is just as bad as a bold faced lie, imo, and the media do it every day. Donald asked for what he's getting from them, but they deserved to be put in their place. They only interview one or two Republican supporters now, and very seldom. If I was asked for a suggestion for Donald, it would be; step back, get all your people in place, let them get all their people in place, take a deep breath, and then have at 'er. I believe his biggest challenge is going to be getting the bureaucracy under control, and if he doesn't, they're capable of destroying whatever he tries to do; they are well known for disrupting the work of government if it isn't going their way. Trump's people will have to learn to deal with unions, which I doubt those generals have done much of. It looks like Obamacare is in place till at least the end of the year, it's a huge, complicated job to come up with a new program and put it in place without leaving people in limbo. Trump said probably next year. Many are paying for the system now, even though the deductibles make it unnafordable for many people. He's impatient, and his hands are tied because he doesn't have his people in place yet. Some reasons comfortable people shouldn't run for office: Rosie O'donnel calling Donald's son autistic looking on TV; the "comedy???" writer from SNL saying Trump's son will probably be the first home school shooter; boycott's of your business brand instigated by bitter liberals. ( there is a terrorism law in the US that allows for charging a person with acts of terrorism similar to what this woman is doing.) Reason for running for president: sticking it to the whole liberal establishment, well worth it.
6 Feb 2017 9:35PM

Quote:With any of this, one has to consider the sources.
Her mouth is where it came from.
He lies, it comes out of his mouth most days, he did it again today. These are the sources we should take notice of more than anything - the horses mouths.
6 Feb 2017 9:39PM
I meant to add this as an indication of the level of intelligence he's up against; the day of the inaugural he had Kellyanne come up on stage, and thanked her. That night on CNN with the usual liberal panel of "experts," one of the woman was almost frothing at the mouth she wanted to speak so badly. I think it was Anderson Cooper who said to her, you look like you want to speak. Yes, she said, when Trump had Kellyanne on stage, he called her "babe." Give me a break, please. That sums up what I think of liberals.
6 Feb 2017 9:48PM
And Trump, now a Ruplican, talks about women how?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.