Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

An Expensive Rookie Error

sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 130 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2021 1:52PM
Disaster struck yesterday when an external hard drive I used to store my archive of images crashed - you've guessed it - it wasn't properly backed up. I'm gutted!

Initial assessment indicates the drive motor has seized and I'm looking at a 500 bill to retrieve the data from the drive - albeit there will likely be data loss caused by the drive heads coming into contact with the drive plates.

Thankfully I do have back up's of most of my processed images - albeit looking at LR I suspect there are gaps which I can not account for. Still, I'm not very good at keeping up to date with my processing (a lack of time) and as such there was a lot of potentially good images in the archive - although these were mingled with many images that would have needed deleting. I now need to determine whether it is worth my while trying to get the data recovered.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone know of a way in which you can get Lightroom to search and show thumbnails for just the files that are missing within the catalog? I know in the main catalog that thumbnails will have a "!" mark in the top right corner if the file is missing, but to be honest this seems unreliable with images showing fine one moment but with the exclamation mark against them the next. I want to review the images in the catalog that are missing to help determine whether I want to spend the money to recover them.

2. Can anyone recommend a good data recovery service? The one I'm thinking of using is Cheadle Data Recovery Ltd. A little digging on the net showed many services have dodgy reviews (DRS for example) and are linked to hidden companies in the background e.g. Field Data Recovery.

Finally, please don't reply saying "you should have backed them up": I know it. BUT, for those who, like me, have let slide their backups or who have never backed up - START!

Best wishes,

Adam
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
15 Apr 2021 4:26PM
Many years ago - probably 2003ish - i used OnTrack to recover raw files from a 1gb microdrive. The weren't cheap even back then but they did also around the same time recover the data from the Columbia Space Shuttle, so they know what they're doing.

Ontrack
smacau1 9 540 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2021 4:50PM
Ouch! I feel your pain!

In Lightroom go to Library, then 'Find all missing photos' should show them in grid view - eventually! It can take a while.

Good luck.
bobbyl Plus
11 41 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2021 7:44PM

Quote:2. Can anyone recommend a good data recovery service? The one I'm thinking of using is Cheadle Data Recovery Ltd. A little digging on the net showed many services have dodgy reviews (DRS for example) and are linked to hidden companies in the background e.g. Field Data Recovery.

Hi Adam
I used Cheadle Data Recovery a couple of years ago. I dropped my external hard drive at his house , he checked it and told me what was recoverable and what wasn't. Total Transperancy . He recovered the recoverable data and transferred it to a new external drive (extra charge) and sent it back with a courier. I can totally recommend Cheadle Data Services.
As an aside , Cheadle was recommended to me by my colleagues in NHS IT department.
After this i took out subscription with iDrive and every week i back my files to iDrive.
Lastly Cheadle are not cheap but for me it was worth paying the price.
Hope this helps
Bobby

sherlob Plus
15 Apr 2021 8:13PM

Quote:Does anyone know of a way in which you can get Lightroom to search and show thumbnails for just the files that are missing within the catalog?

Doh! Just click on the missing drive folders!
15 Apr 2021 11:58PM
If you decide to bin the drive without trying to recover the data you could try this first . I wouldn't bang it first though.
https://youtu.be/F5Y7BniaRXg
sherlob Plus
16 Apr 2021 10:51AM
Interesting video - I'd only ever try it if I was absolutely sure I didn't mind losing the data! It does however make me wonder if data recovery companies are over charging.

Best wishes,

Adam
16 Apr 2021 11:25AM

Quote:It does however make me wonder if data recovery companies are over charging.

Alot of companies either over charge or try to upsell.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.