Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Android camera phones and Nougat

JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2016 1:50PM
The next O/S release for Android is the Nougat flavour (after the present Marshmallow one).

As a Windows phone user for ages now i'm considering jumping ship.
I'm hoping for a big F number, good low light sensitivity and some high frame rate 4K video for freeze frame images.

What handsets might you recommend for now?
I'm assuming some new handset releases might come soon too.
MartinBrown 11 265 England
7 Jul 2016 3:11PM
Being a bit of an Android geek myself there is only a few handsets availible. This article may help you ;

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/phones-with-ultra-high-resolution-4k-screens-are-serious-overkill/

But as mentioned, I think really you will not see any difference on the screen due to a 5.5 / 6 iinch screen max.

There is plenty existing camera apps out there that will allow you to increase / decrease frame rates.
icphoto 20 2.7k England
7 Jul 2016 4:08PM
Love my Samsung Galaxy.
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
7 Jul 2016 4:50PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy 7. Not the Edge version which, while glamorous, doesn't really offer any material advantage. The camera is amazingly good, with an f/1.7 lens and Samsung have shown they are putting performance first by cutting the Megapixel count to 12 and upping the size of the sensor elements for less noise.

I'm very impressed with it, plus the best battery life in the business and the OLED screen covering 100% of the sRGB range . Plus, at last a phone with a screen that's easily viewed in the bright sunlight here in southern France.

I sound like a salesman but what with taking micro SDs for added storage, after iPhones and all sorts of Android sets, It really amazes me.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
7 Jul 2016 5:17PM
I bought the new iphone 6s with 64 gb, and was not impressed at all. Granted, it was my wife's phone, and she used it so little I returned it after a little over a week. I much prefer my LG G3, but during the almost 2 years I've had it, I haven't used it enough to be that familiar with it. Mostly used at the grandkids events for stills and lots of video clips. Almost everyone I know swears by their iphones, but I have a 4s which got very little use, and as I said, the 6s, which I returned. I will probably get a new phone in the fall, and the Samsung looks worth having a look.
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.5k 9 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2016 7:31PM

Not owned but used a Samsung Galaxy K Zoom - with 'proper' zoom lens a little heavier than most phones but stunning quality of images and video.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_k_zoom-6210.php
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2016 7:51AM
I just bought an HTC 10 as an upgrade to my previous HTC One M8.
I'm a big fan of HTC because they are always quick to deliver the next version of Android when it comes out. My experience with Samsung was that upgrades were slower and sometimes non existent. Though YMMV.
8 Jul 2016 8:55AM
Take a look at an LG G4. It's been superseded now, but there should still be some around. It's the first smartphone I've owned that has persuaded me not to also carry a compact camera around with me. It is fast, shoots raw files and has a good level of manual control. As a bonus, it has expandable memory and, best of all, you can swap a dead battery for a fresh one in seconds.
Lenscapon 5 64
8 Jul 2016 11:46AM
Sony Z5 series are worth a look. They have the slightly larger 1 2/3 sensor like most compact camera's and so bigger than other mobiles.

I have a Z5 Premium. Great screen.

Camera in auto setting has serious issues with noise and smudging of detail (though still better than most camera phones) but used in manual it is as good as a compact. Low light is better than any other mobile, and with a max aperture of f2.0 it can produce a nice shallow depth of field if subject is close.

Manual controls are limited but Ok, lens is sharp but has quite a lot of distortion at the edges. Video is excellent and can do 4K, but it gets real warm!

And it's waterproof.

I now never carry a compact camera and have been happy with the Sony. The Z5 replaced a much abused Z1, although the photo quality of the Z1 and 5 is exactly the same.

If you can find a good deal on a Z3 or 4 go for it, they are all the same sensor
21 Jul 2017 6:03AM
I recommend Samsung Galaxy k-Zoom which have batter features and functionally for capturing quality pictures. I personally use it and it's prefect for me.
19 Aug 2017 2:02PM
Samsung Phones I've owned and used in order, Galaxy S4, my first outing with Samsung and hated the amount of bloatware stealing memory from the very beginning, that said I was happy with the results. When I moved to the Galaxy Note 4 I ditched the compact camera and accepted the night time short commings, I used it extensively in the two years I had it on contract. Now I've moved to the Galaxy S8+ and love the low light by comparrison to the previous two.
I shoot almost exclusively using my phone, it's a camera and PC all in one with any edits being carried out in phone and almost always with Snapseed. I still have a good DSLR, plus DJI drone and Osmo, but for sheer convenience I find my phone hard to beat.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.