Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Annoying Photoshop problem

mcgovernjon 11 138 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 8:03PM
I hope somebody can help out here... whenever I open an image in Photoshop, I am faced with a grey screen - the same thing happens in Windows Photo Gallery (but not in Microsoft Office Picture Manager). Opening RAW files in Adobe Camera Raw is fine, but as soon as I open them up in Photoshop I have the same problem. Bizarrely, when I drag the image around in the Photoshop environment, the image appears... I've tried clearing the PS settings but with no result.

Please help Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Feb 2010 10:21PM
How much free space do you have on your hard drive, How much ram have got installed, What OS sre you running, What version of photoshop.

Have you fragged lately, Sorry more questions than answers....Smile
6 Feb 2010 9:22AM
28 GB free, 2GB RAM, Vista, CS4, I haven't fragged for ages. Hope you can help Smile
DiegoDesigns 14 117 6 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2010 9:40AM
Maybe updated your video drivers!
dcash29 14 2.4k England
6 Feb 2010 9:44AM
Sounds like you need to at least double the ram and have a good clean out. Plus you are running the dreaded Vista

Google 'Ccleaner' its free, then defrag
collywobles 16 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2010 9:51AM
Yes agree, RAM is extremely important, I use 4GB and have no problems. Another tip when using Photoshop close all other programs - ALL. This helps alot.
mohikan22 16 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2010 9:54AM
certainly boost that ram OR if you have a 4gb memory car use it as READYBOOST.
if ya system runs out of ram it will use the mem stick.
I have 4gb ram and it STILL uses my 8gb memstick as "ram"
but i am on windows 7.
matt.
dcash29 14 2.4k England
6 Feb 2010 9:57AM
I'm on Win7....seems very good

Also read HERE
6 Feb 2010 10:47AM
Thanks for everybody's help... Photoshop used to work but not anymore. I'll try Ccleaner, thanks.
Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
6 Feb 2010 11:51AM
You might also like to try "Revo Uninstaller". It does uninstall unwanted apps. (very effectively) but the other options it offers and which might be of use to you are the cleaning tools that come with it. I find it more effective than CCleaner, which I also use. It's free too.

Also it has a tool called "Evidence Remover" which removes everything from your hard drive that's been deleted. In doing so, it seems to also free up some usable space. I don't run it very often but when I do, there's usually an increase of 3 - 4 gb. on the drive. Useful if you've only got a small amount, ie. 28 gb. left.

I've got 2 gb. RAM, about 45gb. on the hard drive and can run CS2 and several other apps. at once without any problems.

I'm using good old XP.

Jester.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.