Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Another pricing question

irishman 16 1.1k 2 Ireland
8 Feb 2011 2:39PM
Having looked at the NUJ site and tried to work what I should be charging, I just can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Can anyone look at it and please tell me what I should be charging for the following?

A local regional festival wants to use a few of my photos on a dvd that they are producing, they want the cost per image.

My understanding of the usage is, its for a one off use and not to be sold, I think it will form part of the festival and will be view by the public

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Feb 2011 4:09PM
Why not tell them that you will be delighted for them to use your images for free provided that your work is acknowledged and that you get a priority pass to take photographs at their next festival. Getting access to the prime spots for photographing could be worth a lot more than a few s for reproduction rights.
8 Feb 2011 4:27PM
I agree!
Sounds like you would be going to the festival anyway.
See if they would be prepared to take you on as official festival tog in exchange for a pair of complimentary tickets and an access all areas press pass.

I've got a deal with my local festival where I let them use my images for the website and festival publicity free of charge if get credited. If anyone else wants to use an image (their festival website is my showcase), then the festival puts them in touch with me and the negotiation starts. Last year I got a couple of requests to use images as CD artwork - dead chuffed. And it's a bloomin good fun weekend wandering around with my camera, eating, drinking, listening to music and costs me nothing except beer money!
irishman 16 1.1k 2 Ireland
8 Feb 2011 5:06PM
Being in contact with then and they would prefer pay me for the images, I have asked their going rate but was return with the question, what I wanted per iamge.
8 Feb 2011 5:21PM
Blimey....
If they already like your images enough to want to use them, then they are daft as complementary tickets cost them very little in the grand scheme of things and they could have got access to a lot more of your images.

Your fee will probably depend on the size of the festival and whether it's a charity event. Big festivals will have a wider circulation and a proper budget. If it's a charity event then they are double muppets for turning down your offer to cover their event.
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Feb 2011 7:22PM
I don't think he got that far Dunc. We were only at the stage of suggesting that as an alternative strategy.

Irishman - from what you say about "a local regional festival" and "one-off use that will not be sold", then 10 per image might be a nominal sum that they would find acceptable.
8 Feb 2011 11:46PM

Quote:I don't think he got that far Dunc. We were only at the stage of suggesting that as an alternative strategy.

LOL - I got carried away

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.